PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smoke Over Veishea

BC Squared
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
About a week out....who's in for this one. According to the recent email, they still have openings. Wonder if the rules have something to do with that?? 

pat
04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I will be in Purgatory again that weekend cooking with Doug. Hoping the "rules" don't pertain to the inside of the trailer...know what I'm sayin?

See you there!

BC Squared
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I will be in Purgatory again that weekend cooking with Doug. Hoping the "rules" don't pertain to the inside of the trailer...know what I'm sayin?

See you there!

LOL...exactly! My son worked as a campus cop while he did his undergrad and grad, so maybe I will get some special handling!! LOL!

Porky Joes
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I opted out of this one too.

BBQ_Mayor
04-12-2012, 09:51 PM
We are in for are first Iowa arse kicking of the year..:grin:. See you there.

jaestar
04-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm in but may be second guessing it after seeing the line up :shock:

thenewguy
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
More than likely I'll be sitting this one out...the boss is due to pop any day now.
If nothing else maybe I can drive by waving a cigar in the air!

Balls Casten
04-13-2012, 06:37 AM
I hate people who drink too much. This will be a fun contest. :-)

pat
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
If we play by the rules Doug, we can actually answer that question we always ask on Saturday afternoon.....What IF we didn't drink for once?? I'm calling your bluff though.

BBQ_Mayor
04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
It didn't work for us. Not drinkin' at a comp is like cookin' BBQ without the smoke.

pat
04-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Does that mean you're gonna stay up past 8:30 on Friday nights this year Ray? :tongue:

Balls Casten
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
If we play by the rules Doug, we can actually answer that question we always ask on Saturday afternoon.....What IF we didn't drink for once?? I'm calling your bluff though.

I said it before, Im not so worried about not drinking at one contest as I am worried about what happens if we do well while not drinking. Hell we'd have to give it up for all the contests.
Then whats next? I'd have to quit drinking before I fly my plane! Or worse yet ... before sex with my wife! :bolt:

pat
04-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I thought she was the one who had to be drunk? :dancer:

BBQ_Mayor
04-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Does that mean you're gonna stay up past 8:30 on Friday nights this year Ray? :tongue:

You got it! It's 9:00 this year!:-P

pat
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I was just looking on the contest website and noticed this little ditty (see bold)....

A new barbecue competition, Smoke Over Veishea, will be held from noon to 2 p.m. on April 21 in the Communications Building parking lot. More than 25 grilling and barbecue enthusiasts from around the Midwest will offer free samples. The event is officially sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

:shocked::hand:

Balls Casten
04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Is that the people's choice loin we didnt buy?

jaestar
04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I wonder what that health inspector that will be wondering around has to say about this???:tongue:

musicmanryann
04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I was just looking on the contest website and noticed this little ditty (see bold)....

A new barbecue competition, Smoke Over Veishea, will be held from noon to 2 p.m. on April 21 in the Communications Building parking lot. More than 25 grilling and barbecue enthusiasts from around the Midwest will offer free samples. The event is officially sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

:shocked::hand:

I have discussed this with Ron and Dena, and they are on top of it. I wasn't planning on bringing my camper, but now I am.

musicmanryann
04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
According to my wife, the Ames Tribune has published a story about BBQ samples, and the words Chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. I'm bringing my construction fencing.

boogiesnap
04-19-2012, 08:40 PM
According to my wife, the Ames Tribune has published a story about BBQ samples, and the words Chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. I'm bringing my construction fencing.

i'd bring jersey barriers. :shocked:

Balls Casten
04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
and I wonder how Veishea ever got out of hand. :)

I like handing out samples but when you are not prepaired to do so and the public comes looking because they are expecting it ...:crazy:

musicmanryann
04-20-2012, 11:33 AM
and I wonder how Veishea ever got out of hand. :)

I like handing out samples but when you are not prepaired to do so and the public comes looking because they are expecting it ...:crazy:

I was the first to get there this morning to drop the camper before going to work. I talked to the organizers, who had NO idea that was going in the newspapers. They contacted the lady who wrote the article and she said, "I just assumed there would be free samples available, so that is why I wrote that." :twitch: LOL.

Anyway, needless to say this isn't the organizers' fault and they are working to alleviate any problems it may create to the best of their ability.

With the brisk wind that is supposed to be coming in, how cool it will be, and the chance of rain, I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be staying home. Regardless, it is going to be a great time and I am looking forward to seeing everyone and cooking some BBQ!

Fat Freddy
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Good Luck to everyone competing. I wish I could have joined you but finances did not allow it.

Rookie'48
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
They contacted the lady who wrote the article and she said, "I just assumed there would be free samples available, so that is why I wrote that." :twitch: LOL.

And thus another fluster-cluck is born :mad2:.

Yep, she just "assumed" - - - and we all know that "assume" makes an ass of u & me :mad:. You can bet that there'll be at least a couple of drunked-up, pissed-off, hungry arse-holes that will demand to get the free food that was promised to them. So-called "reporters" like that one really need to find a different line of work.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-20-2012, 05:16 PM
And thus another fluster-cluck is born :mad2:.

Yep, she just "assumed" - - - and we all know that "assume" makes an ass of u & me :mad:. You can bet that there'll be at least a couple of drunked-up, pissed-off, hungry arse-holes that will demand to get the free food that was promised to them. So-called "reporters" like that one really need to find a different line of work.

Dave I hope this does not turn into a Fluster Cluck of a contest. It sounds like a great venue. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was at Iowa State was a bunch of College kids, Beer and BBQ. Combine all of those together and it could get ugly. I hope the "Assumption" that was printed does not get out of hand. BTW are you judging it?

Jon

KC_Bobby
04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Free food! We're on our way.
signed,
State Center

Fat Freddy
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Hopefully people wont be expecting the samples right at turn in times. That sure would make things interesting.

I think the reporter should be out cooking tonight and let her be the one giving the samples.