PDA

View Full Version : Worst Competition Mistake Ever?

egghead78
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
My bbq team is preparing to enter our first competition. In the true spirit of humbleness and education, what is the worst mistake you or your team has made during a competition?
all responses are very much appreciated.

QN
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Have you looked at this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51042

BC Squared
04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Expecting a call. We've turned in some of the best stuff we ever cooked...nothing! Turned in less than desirable stuff....top 5! You just never know....

SirPorkaLot
04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Cooking what I like, and not cooking for the judges.

OutlawSwine
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Showing up unprepared.

Also - DO NOT over indulge in the adult beverages.

egghead78
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks qn, still new and trying to learn the searches. I also hate replication of previous threads.

SmokinOkie
04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Worst mistake?

Showing up to a contest, not know what the four categories are as well as never having practice the specific timing or never having built a box.

That happened to the team next to me at a contest. I spent all contest talking.

They had never even SEEN a pork butt (but I taught them so well then got a 10th place call) :D

huminie
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't know what my worst mistake was, but I think the most valuable lesson to be learned is to stay organized. Write everything down in multiple forms so you don't have to think on the morning of turn-ins. Just read from your script and stay on schedule. Also, don't underestimate how long it will take you to build your box. Better to take a leisurely stroll to the turn in table than to sprint to the finish barely making or missing your turn in. :doh:

pat
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
My worst mistake? Cooking that first contest...now I can't stop!! :becky::crazy:

GQue
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
My biggest mistakes were non cooking related - I did not bring anyhing to sleep on....or any lights....DOOUUHH! (home simpson voice) the BBQ community for is always great in helping out the newbs - I would not stress to much about making sure everything is perfect and just try to have fun and learn what you can with the first one - Introduce your self to you neaighbors and tell them its your first comp and I bet a dollar to donut they will help you or let you borrow anything you might have forgotten - Good Luck!

ique
04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Last grilling contest of the year and I turned in a category in the wrong order. Cost me NEBS team of the year. This was 2002 I think

Slamdunkpro
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
The biggest / most common mistakes I've seen repping / working contests:

Failure to read and understand the rules. Not sure? Ask!
Not attending / not paying attention at the cook's meeting
Getting caught up in the party atmosphere
Changing your game plan halfway through your cook because of what your neighbor is doing

RangerJ
04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Getting caught up in the party atmosphere

^^^^^

big brother smoke
04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Missed rib turn in by 90 seconds. :shock: Get an atomic clock :cool:

egghead78
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
This has been some awesome information. Its not often that you find a board where everyone is so helpful. I truly appreciate it.

As for expectations, we want to have fun, cook some good q, and meet some new people. I view it like my golf game...i like competition but i have never once relied on golf to feed the family. That stress falls to my day job...

Again, thank you everyone for your willingness to help.

Brew-B-Q
04-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I forgot shoes once. Had to wear crappy uncomfortable sandals on blacktop for two days in 90 degree weather. Those went straight in the garbage when I got home.

I turned in tandoori chicken not once, but twice.

Patrickkva
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Overpacking. There are some good checklists out there for "stuff to bring to comps". When you end up with 6 of everything it's a pain to shuffle through lots of cr*p to find that urgently needed item.

And just say no to that yummy apple flavored moonshine offered to you at 1am. Trust me on that one :)

Ron_L
04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
My worst mistake? Cooking that first contest...now I can't stop!! :becky::crazy:

THIS!!!!!!! :wacko:

I forgot shoes once. Had to wear crappy uncomfortable sandals on blacktop for two days in 90 degree weather. Those went straight in the garbage when I got home.

I turned in tandoori chicken not once, but twice.

You had smelly butts once, too! :shock: :butt:

Lance Miller
04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Just happened - not trimming any of our meats before we got there and only having single stoplight.

Bentley
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Not paying attention and grabbing the Simple Green spray bottle and not the apple juice bottle and hitting the nearly finished ribs...I know there are a few judges that are glad that stuff is non-toxic!

Lake Dogs
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Not at a BBQ competition but at a chili competition I somehow managed to pack everything except a spoon...

I judged BBQ (Memphis in May, then Memphis BBQ Network) for many years at many competitions and as MIM/MBN have on-site judging I've been able to bare witness to many mistakes. Drinking too much is probably right at the top; particular for rookies, and unfortunately most of them never return. Not cooking enough meat and/or not understanding turn-in times (lack of practice) is probably a close second. Forgetting to pack something key is probably third. Then, getting hooked, or trying to change the world with your winning recipe is next (not understanding that while you may love your BBQ the rest of the world may not see it for the brilliance that you see it).

TheJackal
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Getting Top Ribs in NJ at the NJ State BBQ Championship @ Wildwood (2nd place KCBS ribs, Top Team from NJ - Butch Lupinetti Memorial Award) in a field of almost 70 teams with Baby Backs and then deciding to turn in Spares at our next comp.

You know the saying. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Lion Bout The Q
04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Waiting till after midnight to try and cut my finger off.. hard to find out where the hospital was in the dark by myself....

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
04-12-2012, 07:04 PM
This has been some awesome information. Its not often that you find a board where everyone is so helpful. I truly appreciate it.

As for expectations, we want to have fun, cook some good q, and meet some new people. I view it like my golf game...i like competition but i have never once relied on golf to feed the family. That stress falls to my day job...

Again, thank you everyone for your willingness to help.

Everyone told me before my first comp, (which was just last week, btw) to do exactly as you said here, have fun, cook well, meet people and just try not to finish DAL ! We accomplished all that and had a great time. ENJOY the cook!

hogzgonewild
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Overpacking. There are some good checklists out there for "stuff to bring to comps". When you end up with 6 of everything it's a pain to shuffle through lots of cr*p to find that urgently needed item.

And just say no to that yummy apple flavored moonshine offered to you at 1am. Trust me on that one :)

You must have been beside Bub-Ba-Q!

Jeffp
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Forgetting a first aid kit...:doh: and actually needing it.

Piggy_Tummy
04-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks from another noob who is doing their first competition in westmont :D

RangerJ
04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Waiting till after midnight to try and cut my finger off.. hard to find out where the hospital was in the dark by myself....

^^^^^^^^^

Uh, you may notice I have resembled more than one of these remarks..

egghead78
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Is it a bad thing that our team may be sponsored by a liquor store...
In all seriousness, moderation in consumption will be a must.

Nordy
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
My first solo competition was Sams Club MWC

Sat AM I opened the hopper on my FEC while I foiled my big cuts so the constant opening and closing the door wouldn't cause the FEC to run the auger and spike the temp in the pit...

Needless to say, about 25 min later I realized I left it open... fire was out... Restarted without problems and finished the cook on time... 6th in Pork! 8th in chicken...

... and I was hooked. It's amazing how hearing your name called fuels the fire of BBQ addiction.

early mornin' smokin'
04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought I had chicken ribs pork brisket hammered into my head, until I saw a rep coming back with my box of ribs that was supposed to be ckn

Scottie
04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I ran out of Jack once...

Crash
04-13-2012, 03:37 AM
We forgot how to count to 6 at our first KCBS competition. We did get to meet the KCBS Rep though.

BKBBQ
04-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Never buy fireworks at 130 am at a kcbs comp.it may seem like the thing to do but the next morning many people will inquire about you leaving.too bad your my cousin comp team got famous fast.best story I've ever heard.

Kit R
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Not taking all the foil off my brisket before slicing it. Trust me, if you don't you will regret it. I got to meet Ron Harwell that day.

Jorge
04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
^^^^^^^^^

Uh, you may notice I have resembled more than one of these remarks..

Thank God for Spc. Lanier!

Jorge
04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Not checking the thermometer on a borrowed pit, and speed cooking my briskets before realizing what was going on. Middle of the pack, with pulled point was very, VERY, kind of the judges.

paydabill
04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Not trusting your thermometer that is in your brisket - so you stick it in 4 different places on the brisket, then trying 2 other thermometers to verify. Then using about 2 rolls of paper towels to clean up all the juice that ran out.

Then wandering why your brisket was as dry as jerky at turn in.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I dropped all my chicken into gravel once in Arkansas. No big deal though, it was only for $100,000.00 and we drove 20 hours to get there. Makes for a good laugh now though.....

MikeMSD
04-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Never buy fireworks at 130 am at a kcbs comp.it may seem like the thing to do but the next morning many people will inquire about you leaving.too bad your my cousin comp team got famous fast.best story I've ever heard.

I kinda want to hear this story now.

HawgNationBBQ
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Focused more on drinking than cooking!

TheJackal
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I dropped all my chicken into gravel once in Arkansas. No big deal though, it was only for $100,000.00 and we drove 20 hours to get there. Makes for a good laugh now though.....

I remember reading about that on your blog. "The Incident" Great story!

For others that want to read:
http://3eyzbbq.blogspot.com/2010/03/incident.html

Podge
04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
The more I think about it the more I realize my worst mistake ever.. In 1997, I visited memphis in may. From then, I knew I wanted to get into this.. I waited 7 years before I finally did it. I shouldn't have waited that long.

Fishiest1
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Thinking doing comps was somehow going to be a money maker....

MoKanMeathead
04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
After 10 years of doing this you get sort of an internal clock in year head. Our fist contest this year my clock was WAY off...missed chicken turn-in by 3 minutes. Always pay attention to the official clock and have someone help to keep you on track.

Ryan Chester
04-13-2012, 12:15 PM
cooking what i like, and not cooking for the judges.

bingo.

JD McGee
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Relying too much on electronics to tell me when my bbq was done! Tossed 'em all in the trash and learned to cook by color and feel...with the exception of chicken...I stick every piece with my thermapen before turn in...:cool:

Ryan Chester
04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Relying too much on electronics to tell me when my bbq was done! Tossed 'em all in the trash and learned to cook by color and feel...with the exception of chicken...I stick every piece with my thermapen before turn in...:cool:

Chicken is the only meat I don't check. I know its perfect if I stick to the process. :biggrin1:

Chipper
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Speaking of sticking chicken. We left a toothpick in a thigh at our very first contest. Haven't used them since.

JD McGee
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Chicken is the only meat I don't check. I know its perfect if I stick to the process. :biggrin1:

I'm very sure of my process as well...but the first time I don't temp my chicken Murphy will greet me along with the head judge...:mrgreen:

Lake Dogs
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
My worst contest mistake, now that I think about it (after a few bourbons), was judging... I started as a judge, and the day I sampled Gwatney's ribs (they GC'd that day; 1st place ribs; went on to GC Memphis In May) on-site I was hooked, but hooked BAD because I wanted to learn how to cook like THAT. It's a sickness... On two occasions I've possibly now cooked ribs close. Thankfully (as I look up) one of those was when I cooked for a dieing man who loved ribs. I made 6 racks for him, he ate 3 in that first sitting... The smile on his face is all the trophies I'll ever need. If I were to win MIM or The Royal tomorrow I'd value the achievement, but not value it as much as that one mans smile. My ribs didnt change his fate, but per his closest friends it made him very happy his last few days. I'd like to think those ribs made a little difference, for him.

sitnfat
04-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Tupelo this year I forgot to bring my Pabst, then when time to season my chicken relized I had packed the wrong rub

Podge
04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
My worst contest mistake, now that I think about it (after a few bourbons), was judging... I started as a judge, and the day I sampled Gwatney's ribs (they GC'd that day; 1st place ribs; went on to GC Memphis In May) on-site I was hooked, but hooked BAD because I wanted to learn how to cook like THAT. It's a sickness... On two occasions I've possibly now cooked ribs close. Thankfully (as I look up) one of those was when I cooked for a dieing man who loved ribs. I made 6 racks for him, he ate 3 in that first sitting... The smile on his face is all the trophies I'll ever need. If I were to win MIM or The Royal tomorrow I'd value the achievement, but not value it as much as that one mans smile. My ribs didnt change his fate, but per his closest friends it made him very happy his last few days. I'd like to think those ribs made a little difference, for him.

now THAT is what cooking damn good BBQ is all about !

mjl
04-14-2012, 09:56 PM
American Royal 2011. Watching my teammate spritz our brisket turn in with Mr Clean. For the record, Mr Clean does not make a beef version, or a good spritz. Took the shine, literally, off an otherwise pretty good comp.

Matt