PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 and Down or 4.5 and Up

kihrer
04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
For competition spares, which do you prefer. 4.2 and down or 3.5 and up? At RD today, it looked like the larger spares actually had somewhat smaller bones. It is difficult to tell through the cryovac but I picked up some 4.5 and Up spares.

EDIT: The cyro actually says 3.5 and Up not 4.5. The tag at RD said 4.5 but the package says 3.5.

Stoke&Smoke
04-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Last time I tried those, I got two slabs in the pack instead of 3, and wasn't really pleased, but that may have been a fluke? I usually go for the smaller ones though

kihrer
04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Last time I tried those, I got two slabs in the pack instead of 3, and wasn't really pleased, but that may have been a fluke? I usually go for the smaller ones though
It is hard to tell how many are in the pack. Both packs are over 20 lbs each so I am thinking there are at least three.

SirPorkaLot
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
4.5 and up are huge spare ribs.
I prefer smaller ones for comps....

It is a factor of:
A. How much time do you want/plan to cook these - obviously large ones take longer.
B. Some folks think smaller ones are more tender (IE: 3.5 and down)
C. Typically the heavier the rack, the bigger (aka older) hog it came from.

Stoke&Smoke
04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Well, the other thing about the 2 I got when I got the large ones were they were both pretty ugly. Both had shiners, and both had a ton of extra fat. I still will stick to the smaller ones I think