PDA

View Full Version : Any Success with Desserts?

Piggy_Tummy
04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey all,
I just wanted to pick your brains for a minute. I just signed up for an amateur comp. in Lisle IL. The categories are chicken, ribs, & NO MEAT dish. I asked what tends to be the trend and they say dessert! So my partner and I being chefs by trade think way outside of the box! We were thinking of doing some sort of a chocolate cake topped with smoked caramel and smoked salt. I know that trial and error will be my best way to go, but has anyone had any success with getting a cake to survive a grill? I don't think I will be able to bring an already baked cake, pretty sure I will have to make it on site. Any other dessert ideas youve had success with?

HarleyGirl14226
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Unless you can get the temp. on your cooker REALLY consistent, you might have trouble baking a cake...

We've gone with bread pudding in the past... And of course - anytime you can incorporate chocolate into the party - it's a good thing!

HBMTN
04-12-2012, 09:11 AM
We did Baklava one of the few dessert comps we did and finished 3rd in a huge field. I think it would do great at a back yard competition and cooks good on the BBQ at 300 degrees

MAP
04-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't mean to highjack the thread but in a chef's choice can you cook on any device, meaning the oven in my RV.

SHBBQ
04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't mean to highjack the thread but in a chef's choice can you cook on any device, meaning the oven in my RV.

prob a question for the rep at the contest.

nthole
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
We've been able to cook a cheese cake and bread pudding muffins on the smoker without issue. As someone mentioned before getting that temp locked in and stable is really the most critical thing (if you have to cook on a smoker).

SHBBQ
04-12-2012, 09:44 AM
We have had success with desserts with various cheese cake recipes, cooked on a wsm. last year a team actually made chocolate lava cake, unfortunately for him he missed the turn in by 30 sec, but fortunately for me, i got to eat what he didn't get to turn in. if he hit turn ins on time, there is no doubt in my mind that it would have won.

The Virginian
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I love your idea. The salt addition sounds great with the caramel, but using smoked salt might be overwhelming on top of the smoke you pick up in the cooker. Try both ways and see what works. Good luck.

Gore
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
One of the biggest problems with breads/pastries and such is that they really soak up the smoke. I would not do anything to increase the amount of smoke as it can be quite distracting. With some things, the smoke can work well, and others, not so well.

Pigs on Fire
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I've tried the dessert thing at a couple of decent-sized contests. The first time, I hit 2nd place and only 0.15 points from a 180 (KCBS). The second time we barely made the scoresheet and it was better done IMO.

I was cooking (baking in the Primo) molten chocolate cakes in ramikens. These are basically a high-fat chocolate batter cooked hot and fast. I'm sure you know what I mean.

To know that I cooked it on-site, in a smoker no less and see people bringing in home-cooked cakes and other desserts sort of puts me off, knowing they prepared everything at home in the comfort of their kitchen and simply put it on a glass dish and bring it to the contest.

I turn mine in hot and fresh and had been doing so with ice-cold individual portions of white milk to wash it down.

The first contest only 4 of the milks were opened and the last one it appeared they poured the damn milk INTO the cake! Or some kids did after judging, but still...WTF?

I'm probably done with that category. It's like showing up to a first-year un-sanctioned contest. You have no idea what's going to happen.

Here's some pics

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DcS8qskhsAM/Tvu09xR8weI/AAAAAAAACy8/7Qy3SRD1eUY/s800/IMAGE_1000000674.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-voVG_Z3Uot4/Tvu1AmPlkrI/AAAAAAAACzE/gDbF7DyIz44/s800/IMAGE_1000000675.JPG

BTW, never have they tasted like they were 'baked' in a smoker. I usually fire the Primo up first thing after getting to the contest and keep it roaring hot at ~500°F until we're ready to put the batter in. I then put the deflector plates in, grate and put the cookie sheet on with the 8 ramikens (the recipe makes 4, so we double the recipe). This will usually sink the temp down to 425-450°F and the recipe calls for them to bake at 425°F, so it works great.

Stoke&Smoke
04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Dessert idea sounds good but I'd leave off the extra salt until the end, then dust with a bit of Fleur de sel. What is the name of the contest?

BC Squared
04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't waste your time unless you are turning in cheesecake....that's about all that ever seems to win those.

SlugBug
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Over the past few years we have had a first for an upside down apple cake and a first for an upside down pineapple cake. Cooked in a backwoods smoker over charcoal only (no wood) and in a cast iron pan. Just turned in the whole cake. Did only a couple of contests last year and neither had dessert. Regards.

ROF, Texas
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
We won deserts several times in the past few years. Twice with a bananna chocolate/caramel pie, and the other with a sophipia cheesecake. I have started playing with a red velvet crepe desert last year, going to compete with it next month.

Piggy_Tummy
04-12-2012, 07:44 PM

The contest im in clearly states must be cooked over wood or charcoal. I do plan on doing it over charcoal but probably not adding any wood for a super smokey flavor. Thanks for the suggestion of cheesecake, I didnt think of that one. It would still go nicely with a smokey salty caramel.

It is the amateur competition at Fireplace & Chimney Authority in Lisle IL

Porky Joes
04-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Which contest in Lisle is this?

Piggy_Tummy
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I occasionally take classes at the Fireplace & Chimney Authority on Ogden in Lisle. They advertised a contest (no professionals) for only 20 teams on July 15th. First prize is a 1,000$ Good One grill/smoker

billm
04-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I occasionally take classes at the Fireplace & Chimney Authority on Ogden in Lisle. They advertised a contest (no professionals) for only 20 teams on July 15th. First prize is a 1,000$ Good One grill/smoker

ive never bothered with dessert categoreis but we used to camp a lot and always cooked up cobblers in a cast iron pan on the fire. I imagine one could cook that on site.
now what do they consider a "professional"? :razz:

Chipper
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
We have been successful with cheesecake. But have also done cream puffs. They didn't do very well.

Balls Casten
04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
We recieved a 6 for tenderness for our butterfinger dessert once. Its angel food cake, cream and crushed butterfingers. A 6!