PDA

View Full Version : dO i NEED TO REGISTER MY JAMBO J-3?

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I know I had asked this question before and I just went to re-read the answers and now cannot find my own thread so here it goes again. I recently received our new Jambo j-3 trailer model and I am getting conflicting advice as to if I need to register it (and get a plate and pay the sales tax) here in PA.

ANY advice appreciated! Thanks
FB/SGP

BoneDaddy's
04-09-2012, 09:42 AM
In New Hampshire you have to register trailers and it is done in each town hall. Why not just call your town?

The_Kapn
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128442&highlight=jambo

TIM

roksmith
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
CAll the DMV. In Ohio (at least when I finished my smoker), it was considered something similar to a farm implement and did not require a plate or registration. Been pulling it for 7 or 8 years now with no issue. That's in Ohio though.

dmprantz
04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Like others have said, call your DMV. In MO, every trailer needs to be registered. In TN, it only needs to be registered if it meets certain requirements, such as weight and whether or not it is used for commercial purposes. Does the Jambo come with a VIN? You may need to get one if not, and if you do, that may require an inspection. I was told by the TN state government that state laws regarding trailer registration are supposed to be respected when traveling through other states.

dmp

EDIT: Depending on the weight, it may need brakes too. In TN, trailers are not required to have brakes if they are not registered, but I added brakes anyway just to be safe.

Scottie
04-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I had to get a VIN and license and title it here in Illinois. Each state is different.

jbrink01
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
In Missouri you do not, as long as it does not haul cargo.

dmprantz
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM

My mistake. When I lived there I had to title my small utility trailer and presumed that applied to all trailers.

dmp

Scottie
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Unless you drive in Illinois... Then by law you need plates. Although the state police told me they don't enforce it.

vexter1
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Like others have said, call your DMV. In MO, every trailer needs to be registered. In TN, it only needs to be registered if it meets certain requirements, such as weight and whether or not it is used for commercial purposes. Does the Jambo come with a VIN? You may need to get one if not, and if you do, that may require an inspection. I was told by the TN state government that state laws regarding trailer registration are supposed to be respected when traveling through other states.

dmp

EDIT: Depending on the weight, it may need brakes too. In TN, trailers are not required to have brakes if they are not registered, but I added brakes anyway just to be safe.

dmp - just wanted to let you know that in MO it is NOT required to have every trailer registered. I have had 2 home built trailer/smoker setups - and when I called the DMV (which can and will change their answers from hour to hour depending on who you talk to - GRRR!) they all said I didn't have to register it. I never got pulled over or questioned by any authority and I've traveled all over with those trailers with highway patrol/sheriff's etc following me for miles. Basically, since the trailer was hauling nothing and was a special cooking trailer, only carrying what I needed to cook with - the DMV dismissed it. Just passing along my experience fwiw.

vexter1
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
My mistake. When I lived there I had to title my small utility trailer and presumed that applied to all trailers.

dmp

Sorry - missed this post and Jeff's...sorry for the double reiteration :)

dmprantz
04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
No prob Shannon. When I bought my utility trailer, it was one that had a VIN and the previous owner had it titled. The manufacturer was also in MO and issued the VIN then. I forget what happened exactly, but I was under the impression based on all the paperwork that personal property tax and tags were required because it was one that previously had been titled. Feels great not having had to pay PPT in a long time! Anyway, it might depend on where it was built and sold, whether or not the vehicle has a VIN, or whether it has ever been titled. As I said, I was mistaken in the general case, but I felt pretty sure that I was required to title that specific trailer, and I did not have to in TN. I wonder what happens if you go to Orscheln and buy Carry-On. Do they report it as a vehicle sale to the state? Do you have to pay sales tax on those like a new car? Guess I just don't have to worry about it:)

And like I said, the TN DOS told me that I don't have to title my pit if I drive in states that do require it because or reciprocity. In my experience, if you don't live in a state, they don't have much power requiring you to title a vehicle anyway...that's just my experience, not fact of law.

dmp

roksmith
04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I would email the DMV and try to get something back from them. That's what I did. Carried the email with me for a couple years in case I got pulled over.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Hey Fred,

Sold (2) Meadow Creek Towable Hog Roasters to PA State Police last year and several MC Chicken Roaster Trailers to other Sheriffs and Police Depts last year....according to them, you DO NOT need plates on a smoker or roaster in PA. So long as the weight is under 3,000lbs and the rear end is less than 72" wide, the unit would be considered a "single purpose" trailer like a log splitter or a generator and does not require a plate in PA.

If you get stopped for not having a plate on the unit,tell them that and they should not ticket you.....if they do ticket you, fight it, because they don't know what they are doing! Also, if you take it out of state - NJ, NY, etc - it won't require a plate as the unit resides in PA and those are the laws that apply.

PS - I'm not a lawyer or cop......just a disclaimer.....but I am right.

tomnstac
04-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Fred,
I read that in Shillington, Jambos are illegal to have on the road. Just store it over here in Bethlehem, the police are a lot more relaxed. I'll keep an eye on it for you!

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Eric .... wow ....I called the cops, PennDot, the license plate place, and EVERY ONE OF THEM TOLD ME I NEEDED TO REGISTER IT .... I think they just want the bucks ...yes? Thanks ... I will just tow it around armed with your good info and thanks to everybody else who answered ...see you in Salisbury with the J-3 as long as the "Staties" don't knock me off and impound it!

fyi ...Jambo J-3 Weight 1680lbs , width 5'2" .... !!

Tom .... I'll be happy to discuss bringing it to Bethlehem but first you gotta tell me what the hell you are doing to your chicken!

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-10-2012, 08:01 AM
PSS ...for those of you looking at this thread out there in the future, I will update it should I get knocked off for everybody's future reference. FB/SGP