PDA

View Full Version : Deboning thighs:

CarolinaQ
04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Would like to know if anyone is having any luck turning in de-boned thighs in KCBS comps? I wash my thighs after trimming, but still seem to find bone shards in them after cooking and sometimes the bone marrow cooks out, turns black and looks terrible, so I did a couple of practice cooks with de-boned thighs to see how it would work and I’m not crazy about the idea, but was wondering if anyone was having any success with de-boned thighs?

Thanks breather brothers…

Plowboy
04-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Have in the past. Too much work.

Are you using sheers and crushing the bone?

Piggy_Tummy
04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I have been going with the deboned method just because I love the results and I am not a huge fan of meat on the bone (picky I know...). This is my first year im competing on my own and so far all the people assisting me in this always show me their turn in boxes with boned out thighs

landarc
04-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Bone marrow cook out? You shouldn't have to break or cut the bone. There is a small piece of cartilage that you do need to remember to remove, that will not come free with the bone.

southernstyle
04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
i score better with bone in but i do not cut the knuckles off only the cartlige.

EarlyBird
04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I have been turning in boneless thighs for the last year and a half with good results. 4th place in Osage City last week. Alot of work to trim them and you need LARGE thighs to start with. I try to get each of them at 8 oz. each. Goodl luck!

huminie
04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I de-boned thighs for a cook once. Once.

CarolinaQ
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I have been cutting both knuckles off with poultry shears, leaving about a 2 inch bone in the thighs. This is where the bone fragments were coming from.

billm
04-13-2012, 07:12 AM
ive never turned them in and the contests ive judged ive never seen them either..doesnt mean people are not doing them ..ive just never had experience with them as a cook or judge

Southern Touch BBQ
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
you are doing it right Carolina Q...just use newer or sharper shears and they wont leave bone fragments...good luck