PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Kitchen?

Pa_BBQ
04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a mobile food license, fed and state tax numbers and food safety certification.

My mobile trailer is a 6X10 enclosed trailer with sinks and coolers.

I just built an 8X12 building right beside my BBQ Shed I want to use as a kitchen and place to sell Q out of.

I have an email in to the health inspector, but figure some of you may already know the answer to a few questions.

I live in a rural town zoned for industrial and have a photography studio here so the zoning is not an issue.

Are there any addition requirements for a permanent structure than a mobile setup? I still plan on using a self contained concession since I do not have plumbing in the building.

I already have a permanent license, and these are the options you have for the license.

LICENSE TYPE: RETAIL FOOD FACILITY-PERMINANT
PART A:
THIS FACILITY IS A:
Permanent Structure/Building OR

Mobilized Unit (Any operation that moves around) OR

Not a Structure/Building or mobile, but always operating at the same
location (i.e. Market Stand, Barbeque operation, stick stand)

I am thinking this would be consider in the last category (Barbeque operation)

Just wondering if there are any different requirements with it being Non mobile.

HBMTN
04-08-2012, 05:25 PM
In Virginia you would 1st need a plan review from HD. Would it be take out only? That would determine a lot probably.

Pa_BBQ
04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
In Virginia you would 1st need a plan review from HD. Would it be take out only? That would determine a lot probably.

Yes, this would be a take out only.

I am assuming that if I used the exact plan that they approved previously with the exception of a refrigerator instead of coolers that it would be fine. I hope to hear from the HD tomorrow.

Bbq Bubba
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Did u hear back? Im curious if they laughed at you or are working with you.

Pa_BBQ
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Did u hear back? Im curious if they laughed at you or are working with you.

The guy who did the inspections last year has retired I am waiting on his replacement to get in touch with me.

Not sure why they would be laughing.
When I got my permanent license for my mobile unit, they looked at the floor plans, then the trailer and printed my license all with in 15 minutes. I did not present a floor plan first, was done all at the same time.

I have read over the requirements several times and as far as I can see everything is fine, but before I go too much further will wait to here.

Pa_BBQ
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Just heard back from the HD, and since I have a mobile facility permanent license and I plan to use the exact same setup then I will be fine.
As long as the floors, walls and ceiling are of easily cleanable material, have the sink and water requirements and means of keeping food warm and cold there should be no problem.

My design was based on a very basic BBQ carry out menu.
They can not require a commercial refrigerator, although they highly recommend one.

I can still call my building a mobile unit, since the water system is self contained. Mobile is the fact that the business can move from area to area and operate under the same conditions. The business address etc does not change I am only changing where my equipment will be set up.

Bbq Bubba
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Thats great news for you!

Sounds like your HD is pretty laid back.

big brother smoke
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Good luck with your project.

The Cosmic Pig
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Just heard back from the HD, and since I have a mobile facility permanent license and I plan to use the exact same setup then I will be fine.
As long as the floors, walls and ceiling are of easily cleanable material, have the sink and water requirements and means of keeping food warm and cold there should be no problem.

My design was based on a very basic BBQ carry out menu.
They can not require a commercial refrigerator, although they highly recommend one.

I can still call my building a mobile unit, since the water system is self contained. Mobile is the fact that the business can move from area to area and operate under the same conditions. The business address etc does not change I am only changing where my equipment will be set up.

Good for you! Best of luck to you! :thumb: