PDA

View Full Version : Vending at comps - Non-Food

Code3BBQ
04-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Guys,
I tried searching and could not find any threads or comments related, so hopefully I am not repeating a question already asked in the past.

I know that in order to sell / vend food at a comp, you have to be licensed by the HD and the event has to allow it. What about selling non-food items, such as a BBQ related product? I don't mean setting up a dedicated vendor booth, but if I am a contestant, can I sell or offer any non-food items/products at my booth?

Thanks in advance....

Stoke&Smoke
04-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I would think your first contact should've the event management

Some company have "craft shoes",and things like that
Organizerof the comp you're interested in

Contact the organizer!

We have seen w few company where competiters and
Vend...but that's a big undertaking!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Ron_L
04-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think anyone here can answer that question. It's up to the event organizers and the local authorities.

Code3BBQ
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't think anyone here can answer that question. It's up to the event organizers and the local authorities.

Fair enough. Thanks Ron. I wasn't sure what the general rule of thumb was. Thanks again.

bbutts
04-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Going into our second year, I was going to offer non-food vending at my competition. This is something that would have to be arranged in advance by the contest organizer to ensure all applicable rules for the jurisdiction are being followed.

We had arranged with the city to have the contestants have the ability to sell non-consumable items with a valid temporary business license from the city.

Consumable items (food) required inspections by the health department.

Brian Butts
Lakeside Que-topia

Code3BBQ
04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Going into our second year, I was going to offer non-food vending at my competition. This is something that would have to be arranged in advance by the contest organizer to ensure all applicable rules for the jurisdiction are being followed.

We had arranged with the city to have the contestants have the ability to sell non-consumable items with a valid temporary business license from the city.

Consumable items (food) required inspections by the health department.

Brian Butts
Lakeside Que-topia

Awesome Brian, thanks for the response. I hope you guys are able to get something worked out to get 2nd contest back on the calendar. I was really looking forward to it after all Arthur and Don talked about it. Again, thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if it was regulated by the local organizer or the sanctioning body, or both.

bbutts
04-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Due to issues with the city, I have had to retire Lakeside Que-topia.

I have however, started a dialog with another party that is extremely interested in having an event in the nearby area. I had a long talk with him the other day and we will be talking again in another week. It is too late to get anything new going this year, but we will probably have something going for 2013 in the St. Peters area.

CBQ
04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Unless the organizer had made special arrangements, in most states you need a retail sales permit since you will have to collect and report sales tax. The permit is generally inexpensive. In RI it's $10 a year, but you have to report every sales online every quarter, even if that amount is $0.

I certainly would not sell anything at a contest without getting permission from the organizer.

Code3BBQ
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Unless the organizer had made special arrangements, in most states you need a retail sales permit since you will have to collect and report sales tax. The permit is generally inexpensive. In RI it's $10 a year, but you have to report every sales online every quarter, even if that amount is $0.

I certainly would not sell anything at a contest without getting permission from the organizer.

Great advice. Thanks for info.