PDA

View Full Version : Reverse flow verticle smoker

warren.miller
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
BBQ Brethren,

What is the best reverse flow charcoal smoker for mostly competition but also home use. Regulating temperature, ease of use, and money ect...

Thanks,
Warren

TTNuge
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Backwoods

Fishiest1
04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Backwoods x 2

southernstyle
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
stumps

Fishiest1
04-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I've only got to look at a stumps a couple times but never knew they were reverse flow too.

southernstyle
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
I've only got to look at a stumps a couple times but never knew they were reverse flow too.

There is a plate that comes off the fire compartment with a hole cut on the opposite side like reverse flow

huminie
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Backwoods x3

TTNuge
04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I would be hard pressed to call a Stumps a reverse flow, the heat enters from the bottom and exits at the top. He does apparently make a line of Reverse flows with the 2x3, 3x4,3x6, etc but those are different than the traditional vertical smokers that most people associate with Stumps.

southernstyle
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
If you consider a bw a reverse flow then a stumps is also one. As I said there is a diffuser plate starting at the fire running down to the other end of the cooker. Don't all reverse flows ex: a lang have heat entering the bottom and exiting the top.

warren.miller
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
What kind of backwoods do you have? What kind of stump do you have?

Are there any other quality reverse flow smokers of quality?

Can you buy any of these used?

How have you faired at competitions with these smokers?

huminie
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
If you consider a bw a reverse flow then a stumps is also one. As I said there is a diffuser plate starting at the fire running down to the other end of the cooker. Don't all reverse flows ex: a lang have heat entering the bottom and exiting the top.

In a backwoods, the fire box and cooking chamber are not directly connected. There is a solid water pan between them and heat radiates up through the water. The smoke travels up the three sides of the cooker (all but the door side) through a false wall, and then enters the cooking chamber from the top. The chimney vents from the bottom of the cooking chamber so the smoke has to travel downward, over the meat to get out through the chimney. There is no direct heat or smoke on the meat and the smoke has to do a big loop around before it gets out.

This is what makes the Backwoods a vertical reverse flow. Simply putting a hole in a diffuser plate opposite the fire doesn't make the cooker a reverse flow.

Horizontal reverse flows send the smoke completely across the bottom of the cooking chamber and then back across with the chimney on the same side as the firebox.

OutlawSwine
04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Also take a look at Pitmaker.

Zig
04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Check out a Zegers BBQ Cooker, it's beter than a reverse flow.

Hot Wachulas
04-05-2012, 07:31 AM
What kind of backwoods do you have? What kind of stump do you have?

Are there any other quality reverse flow smokers of quality?

Can you buy any of these used?

How have you faired at competitions with these smokers?

For backyard use the Backwoods Chubby is plenty. For competition you need to go with a Fatboy or what I use, The Gater. Its 4 inches deeper than a Fatboy so it will hold a full size buffet pan with space to spare. Its not listed on their site yet.
For competitions I use the gater and the party. I have since added a chubby specifically for chicken.

You can cook an entire competition on a Backwoods Party but theres not a lot of room for error. You have to put your big meats on by 9pm to have room for the ribs and you want your ribs wrapped before the chicken goes on.

On backwoods smokers site they have used ones for sale on their forum, or you can go to the dealers link and check with them.

If you were in Fl I could hook you up.

TTNuge
04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Check out a Zegers BBQ Cooker, it's beter than a reverse flow.

While you may have good reason to be proud of your business and the cookers you make they have absolutely nothing in common with what the OP was requesting information on and your post comes across as SPAM.

G$
04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Build a UDS. Wait, wrong thread? :icon_smile_tongue:

dmprantz
04-05-2012, 09:35 AM
If you are calling a BWS reverse flow, check out the Onyx Oven as well.

dmp

Untraceable
04-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Ive never seen one in action but reverse flow verts work well? Im just envisioning a stale smoke enviroment. Is it because they are so sealed and typically force fed O2 that makes it work?

TTNuge
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Ive never seen one in action but reverse flow verts work well? Im just envisioning a stale smoke enviroment. Is it because they are so sealed and typically force fed O2 that makes it work?

Force feeding is definitely optional, since most of them are insulated they hold temps really well even without a Stoker/Guru. But they are sealed really well so they seem to keep smoke moving well through and out all on their own. Backwoods track record is hard to deny, plenty of GC's out there using nothing but a Backwoods it seems.

SDAR
04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Pitmaker safe or vault depending on the capacity you need. I love my vault.

bmanMA
04-05-2012, 08:36 PM
+1 on the Pitmaker. I have a tricked out BWS Party but my teammate's Pitmaker is more solid and tighter by a longshot. But, they weigh a lot more. Depends on what your towing plans are.