PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your gear organized, HOW?

rakerb
04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
How do you keep your equipment, supplies and gear organized? I just completed my first competition a week and a half ago and I was really challenged in the organizing area. After unpacking and wanting to keep the stuff ready for the next event, how to avoid piles and minimize trips in and out of the truck loading and unloading.

Short of a dedicated trailer, how are you keeping your gear organized for storage, travel and at the cook site? Any pictures of links to drawers, bits, Chuck boxes etc. would be very helpful!

I'd love to not be the last one packed up and leaving the event. :biggrin1:

Brad

LBGE, SBGE, 18.5 WSM (x2), Mini WSM, ECB, Gasser

Big Poppa
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
OK other than our new trailer has a place for everything...I have found that if you get 4 tackle boxes for each meat and have what you need in there it really helps. (even if there is duplication)

BBQ Bandit
04-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Learned the hard way... unloading a team's equipment by the armload.
Took too long to unload and way too long to repack.

To simplfy and quicken the process pointed me to mobile carts on wheels.
Currently use (2) laundry carts on wheels as my pantry carts; each having 3 shelves.

Can roll out and place as desired... or leave and work inside the trailer with same layout.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/appalacian%20Harley%20Davidson/P1010073.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/appalacian%20Harley%20Davidson/P1010070.jpg

Have greatly reduced the set-up/tear down time significantly.
Roll two carts and one smoker is 80 percent done :thumb:.

Rub
04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Minimize, cull out unused equipment.

watg?
04-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Plastic tubs and those drawer units of various sizes are very helpful in keeping things straight, especially if you label the outsides.

porkingINpublic
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
This is a good question I have been thinking about too. I just bought a big tub with wheels from Walmart for $20. I'm putting things in it in individual boxes....spices,utensils, etc. looks like it'll work pretty efficiently.

Still Smokin
04-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I am orginazationally challeged as well, ask anyone that knows me!!! I like the laundry cart idea.

All I have right now is a 5 x 8 flatbed trailer and the back of my SUV so I do a lot of packing, loading, then unloading unpacking then the same in reverse. I know I need a bigger trailer and I am looking for one now.

Slamdunkpro
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
As a tent guy my goal this year is to reduce the clutter! Carry less is the mantra for 2012. I'm also trying to containerize the essentials so I don't have a bunch of loose stuff floating around in the truck.

rexbbq
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I keep all necessary tools and rubs in two separate tackle boxes. Then use two plastic totes for the remainder. Whatever is left goes in the Cambro. Got it down to 12 necessary items to carry, plus the smoker. Tent, two tackle boxes, two totes, two coolers, two tables, cambro, two chairs.

Harbormaster
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I use a series of plastic tote tubs labeled A-F. I then keep a spreadsheet of the contents of each tub. The contents of the tubs are seperated based on use (one has utensils, one has cleaning supplies, one has food prep, etc...). The spreadsheet makes it a snap to inventory each tub, and check it off as it gets loaded in the van/trailer.
On site, I have a small plastic shelf system that disassembles easily, and the most frequently used tubs are placed on the shelves near the tables for quick access.
"A place for everything, and everything in it's place."

sincitydisciple01
04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
As a tent guy my goal this year is to reduce the clutter! Carry less is the mantra for 2012. I'm also trying to containerize the essentials so I don't have a bunch of loose stuff floating around in the truck.

Ditto! Less is more. After our first handful of events, we were able to get a handle on what we did and didn't need. We've gone with 2-3 big tubs with lids, divvied up by prep, cook, tent etc. They stack easily in the back of my Pathfinder and are water tight when those May showers make an unannounced visit.

After the event when unloading, I make a quick run thru each tub to clean and resort as needed. It takes a little time on the back end, but you will make it up when you are loading up for the next event!

Rich Parker
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
One thing I would add to the great posts above me is when you are done with something put it away.

An example is I run an extension cord and light in my ez-up for Friday night but when the sun comes up Saturday morning I take it down and pack it away. This helps reduce a lot of the clutter and work after turn ins.

Uncle Buds BBQ
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
This is what I use....
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/strong-box-108-quart-plastic-black-and-yellow-storage-tote-298528.html

BigBellyBBQ
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
storage tubs work good..also use coolers for storage as you need them while competing then store on the way home..but get a trailer and leave it stocked..

kurtsara
04-03-2012, 07:28 PM
OK other than our new trailer has a place for everything...I have found that if you get 4 tackle boxes for each meat and have what you need in there it really helps. (even if there is duplication)

isn't lugging around 16 tackle boxes a pain also?

indianagriller
04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I am down to one tote, one cooler, one cambro, and a box for spices, plus cooker,ez upx2, chairs, and bedding, its nice to be done packing 20 minutes after last turn in.

rakerb
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
You don't bring any tables?

Brad

LBGE, SBGE, 18.5 WSM (x2), Mini WSM, ECB, Gasser

indianagriller
04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I knew i forgot something, we have 2 4ft folding tables, but they stay under the truck box in between comps...

bmanMA
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
We bring 3 kids and a dog in a minivan and a 8' utility trailer. We are always the last out :(

NS Mike D
04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
This is what I use....
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/strong-box-108-quart-plastic-black-and-yellow-storage-tote-298528.html

heads up. those aren't water proof, water collects on the lid and finds its way through the snaps

CivilWarBBQ
04-03-2012, 10:38 PM
A wise man once said "Everything you take out of the trailer you gotta put back in again". Experience will show you what you really need and what you are just lugging around for no reason.

Best piece of advice I can give you is always pack up before awards. If you don't get any calls you will be disgusted and deflated, and have no energy for the job. If you do get them you'll want to be able to enjoy the moment and celebrate without having to face a pile of dirty dishes back at camp.

Uncle Buds BBQ
04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
heads up. those aren't water proof, water collects on the lid and finds its way through the snaps
That's why I never leave mine out in the rain! :-D

Pigs on Fire
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
We just show up looking like a yard sale. Keeps the riff-raff out of our site.

And most everyone else, too.

AustinKnight
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
A wise man once said "Everything you take out of the trailer you gotta put back in again".

I heard this same expression when I showed up with a drum and my tool box. the empty spot holds the digiq now :screwy:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ROFhvrrrhPI/TwY1X0E9k0I/AAAAAAAAA3Y/2QB9BOvhkLc/s400/SDC15761.JPG

jbrink01
04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
I just bought a $23,000 tool box...

CBQ
04-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Wire shelving, pnematic wheels, resin bins...no unloading needed.

Uncle Buds BBQ
04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Wire shelving, pnematic wheels, resin bins...no unloading needed.
Chris - That is a sweet set up! What brand bins are those? They appear to fit the shelving nicely.

Disconnect
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
We acquired a bunch of the top-loading double-door "shipping totes" from a friend (we didn't ask where they came from...) similar to what convenience stores and such use to get shipments. Each one gets a label top and side for what category of stuff ("Electrical / MEDICAL".. "Grill tools, Cutting Boards" etc) and they just stack. Pretty much the only thing that doesn't fit is full-size steam trays, although they might go diagonally with small items tossed in around them..

Storage is easy, since they stack - check each one for spoilables and mess (or mis-filed items) and stack them in the garage with a 50-gal drum liner over the top to keep dust/etc out of them. They aren't even remotely waterproof or anything, but they are really durable and pretty spill/bleach resistant.

We need to reorganize our packing list by tote label but otherwise its working great. (And as others said, stuff can go in coolers also. And try to avoid mixing of home/competition gear, makes packing tons faster and you don't have to worry about whether your main meat cooler got left out in the rain after the last cookout..)

rakerb
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Chris,

I saw those bins in a store by us, are they worth $28? I was thinking of stacking them on a flat bed wagon with the tables strapped on the front and back for transporting. I figured I could pile up more large stuff on the very top of the bins.
Have you had any issues with rain getting in the tubs since they don’t have a true lid?

Brad