PDA

View Full Version : Disposable Cutting Boards

kihrer
04-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Does anyone use disposable cutting boards at comps? I understand that they are single use but how does the material hold up during that single use. I am thinking of ordering the Smokey Mountain brand.

Coz
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Does anyone use disposable cutting boards at comps? I understand that they are single use but how does the material hold up during that single use. I am thinking of ordering the Smokey Mountain brand.

Thats a good choice. We use them and will use 4 for the 2 days of competion .They hold up very well. Use a dough cutter or some type of scraper to clean them between categories at turn in and you can do turn ins on 1 or 2.

Lakeside Smoker
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Yep. Use em, love em! Especially during raw prep.

-Mike

CivilWarBBQ
04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Joe Amore makes a great product, and we use them at every event we do. I'd stick with a tradiional board if you are chopping pork or slicing with a high quality knife because they won't hold up under such abuse, but for anything else they are tops!

gmholler
04-01-2012, 06:05 PM
We use the Smokey Mountain ones all the time - never had a problem - they hold up GREAT! We left some out of their package at the house and our daughter found them - and used them - now we have to compete with her for them!

Lynn H.

dosvans
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I use the Smokey Mountain brand at competitions, and it's great not to worry about cleaning cutting boards all weekend.

Podge
04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Been using them for a few years now.. can't live without them

Jimmy & The Squealers
04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
We have been using them for the past year and a half. Beats cleaning boards all day.

The Cosmic Pig
04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Do any of the big stores carry them, i.e. Walmart, etc? I meant to look for some before now, but I got a comp Friday and, well, you know how it is...lots bigger priorities at the moment...

Smokin' Bad Habit
04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
im a cheap SOB, i ose poster boards from dollar general .50 cents each, throw away after using, use for raw meat prep and then when we are prepping meat for boxes, if your good with you knives youll haveno problems!

BBQchef33
04-01-2012, 08:07 PM
ive been using them for years. But we started using butcher paper for alot of things.

i keep a large roll of butcher paper hanging under the side edge of the table. just reach down, pull a strip across the table, do what you need, then just throw it out. it works for 99% of the prep and cutting, except chicken trimming, i use a plastic or disposable board. Then we use 2 disposable boards during turn in.

Twelvegaugepump
04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Don't you end up cutting right through the poster boards? Or is that the comment on being good with your knife? They are more disposable placemats then?

Smokin' Bad Habit
04-01-2012, 09:28 PM
ive never had a problem with cutting thru the poster board, i just dont slice to hard when i get close . btw the white ones have a shinny side that helps keep moisture out for a little bit... IMO

swamprb
04-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Cut and Toss for disposable cutting boards. 4-6 per comp
Pansaver Full & Half pan steam table bags for marinating.
Roll of Plastic banquet table cover for seasoning meats.

Everything gets tossed in the trash.

southernstyle
04-02-2012, 06:47 AM
if you have a dollar tree in your area they carry packs of two the package is only a buck so they end up being .50 cents a pop

billm
04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I use them at comps and at home as well..

Sawdustguy
04-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Disposable cutting boards are the best thing since sliced bread and much more sanitary.

Slamdunkpro
04-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm curious, for those that use the Cut 'n Toss product (this includes Smokey Mountain). How many of you actually fold up the sides along the score marks?

GQue
04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Do any of the big stores carry them, i.e. Walmart, etc? I meant to look for some before now, but I got a comp Friday and, well, you know how it is...lots bigger priorities at the moment...
Walmart Sells them in 3 packs in the kitchen supply section they are smaller than the Smokey Mountain ones but they do the job.

BBQchef33
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm curious, for those that use the Cut 'n Toss product (this includes Smokey Mountain). How many of you actually fold up the sides along the score marks?

sometimes. usually will just bend them a little if neeeded..

if trailer is not level and juices are running off board, I'll fold up the edges.

jimbloomfield
04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
I use these all the time. I have prepped 16 racks of ribs on one board. I do fold up the sides just enough to corral extra juices.We never go camping without these either.
I get the Smokey Mountain ones from Big Poppa Smokers who is a Brethren.

G$
04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

I have tried about three times, and have never been succesful.

Also, FWIW, I buy the huge kind, and cut some in half for smaller jobs.

rexbbq
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Love them too. They work like a charm. Sure beats cleaning a cutting board in between turn-ins.

swamprb
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Maybe Pork & Brisket when the sauce is flying.

I use a clear plastic flexible cutting board with a 9x9 outline to frame my meats before they hit the box.

CivilWarBBQ
04-03-2012, 10:30 PM

We do when we are injecting or otherwise need the lip to keep liquids from running off the board.

Smokin Mike
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe Pork & Brisket when the sauce is flying.

I use a clear plastic flexible cutting board with a 9x9 outline to frame my meats before they hit the box.

Nice Tip, thanks for sharing:clap2:

BoneDaddy's
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
To bad shipping is almost as much as the boards!

kihrer
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
To bad shipping is almost as much as the boards!

I ordered mine from Big Poppa and the shipping was free. They do run about a buck each but washing cutting boards at home is a PITA and in a little washtub it is a RPITA. I am going to give them a try cause it sounds like a lot of you like them.

big brother smoke
04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes, I use them for comps and for catering prep. I too get them form Big Poppas, I buy 2 at a time for free shipping.

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I have used them for the last couple competitions. They are awesome. Will never wash another cutting board at a competition. I get them from BBQ Island. They can be backordered on some sites.

http://www.bbqislandinc.com/disposable-cutting-boards-18-x-24.html

SHBBQ
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I use them, love them, and fold up the sides.