PDA

View Full Version : Competition Time Lines

sparky57
04-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Just getting started in competing and wondered if anyone has a time line spreadsheet or list that they could share.

hogzgonewild
04-01-2012, 07:15 AM
PM'ing you.

jketron
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
great question, I'd like a copy :)

BC Squared
04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Turn in chicken at 1200, ribs at 1230, pork at 1, and brisket at 130...don't be late! LOL 

Jeremy Moyers
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I've also been looking for one, but preferably one where you can enter the turn in times, and it will back fill the rest of the times on the spreadsheet. Would be helpful at the comps that do not follow a standard timeline, as well as a handy tool when catering or cooking for family/friends where everyone wants to eat at XX:XX pm. I use excel a quite a bit, but it gets complicated when you at trying to subtract time in a spreadsheet because you have to take into account the time (12 hour or 24 hour clock) and the date because the time could roll back into the day before.... I tried for a few hours the other night and finally decided to write it out with pen and paper.....

I would really appreciate it if anyone on here could point me towards a timeline like this!

Jeremy

indianagriller
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Just find out how long it takes you to cook your meat to competition perfection and work backwards, my comp timeline wont work for you, i cook simple and hands off, so what works for me wont work for you. a good timeline form that i have found and use is here: http://www.bbqsuccess.com/barbecue-timeline/

NRA4Life
04-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Just find out how long it takes you to cook your meat to competition perfection and work backwards, my comp timeline wont work for you, i cook simple and hands off, so what works for me wont work for you.

Same here. Different temps, different cookers, cooking techniques, trimmed meat, charcoal, pellet, stickburner, stability of temps, different weather and how your cooker reacts to it, different weights of meat. Too many variables to say "here's my timeline, it'll work for you".

dmprantz
04-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I use excel a quite a bit, but it gets complicated when you at trying to subtract time in a spreadsheet because you have to take into account the time (12 hour or 24 hour clock) and the date because the time could roll back into the day before....

I'm not sure why Excel can't give you what you want. Start out with cell A1 and type in "1/1/2000 1:00:00 PM". That's your pork turn in time. You can reformat the cell so that it shows only the time and no date. You can also format it to show 24 hour format instead of 12 hour AM/PM format. Now in cell A2, type in "=A1-TIME(6,0,0)". That is six hours earlier, and is your rest time. Now in cell A3, type in "=A2-TIME(10,0,0)". That is ten hours earlier, on the previous day, and is the time you start to cook. If you want to enter in the actual date rather than the bogus date of "1/1/2000," that's fine too, but then of course you have to update it for every event.

The "trick" is that you have to actually enter a date. Otherwise Excel will use the lowest date it can, even if it doesn't show it, and when you go to subtract from it and drop below midnight, it will have an undefined date and not work.

Hope this helps!

dmp

SmokinOkie
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
If you could just phone it in with an App, it wouldn't be BBQ.

Do this. Set up your comp practice in the driveway. Cook each item just like you would at a comp. Write down everything. Next time, follow only what you've written (you'll find a lot of missing steps).

This way you have what works for you. My spreadsheet would help at all because it's for my smokers and my methods (like sleeping).

It's not that hard and the practice will do you well.

Also keep a list of items you have to "go into the house for". When you get to the comp, you can't go to the house.

sparky57
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies!
I recognize that there are more variables than anyone can count,but just having
a sense of timing and organization is very helpful.

DawgPhan
04-02-2012, 01:11 PM

I would tell you every rub and sauce I used before I ever thought about telling you about the timing. The timing is the secret, the rubs and sauces are just stuff I put on the meat at certain times.

bbqbrad
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I would send mine, but it would be different from you. Different ways to cook. Here's what you do...

Choose a day and cook chicken. Write down everything you do, with times. When you're happy with the chicken, eat it. Call that turn-in. Now pu that into a spread sheet, ending with the turn-in time you need. do the same for all other catagories. put all in a spreadsheet. That's how you create your own spreadsheet.

BoneDaddy's
04-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I've also been looking for one, but preferably one where you can enter the turn in times, and it will back fill the rest of the times on the spreadsheet. Would be helpful at the comps that do not follow a standard timeline, as well as a handy tool when catering or cooking for family/friends where everyone wants to eat at XX:XX pm. I use excel a quite a bit, but it gets complicated when you at trying to subtract time in a spreadsheet because you have to take into account the time (12 hour or 24 hour clock) and the date because the time could roll back into the day before.... I tried for a few hours the other night and finally decided to write it out with pen and paper.....

I would really appreciate it if anyone on here could point me towards a timeline like this!

Jeremy

I made one the other night, I will grab it from work tomorrow and pm u

Sawdustguy
04-02-2012, 10:19 PM

That comes from practice and competing.

Jeremy Moyers
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the help dmprantz for the help. I'll give it a shot...

Also thanks to BoneDaddy's! I would appreciate it if you could send that over to me. I have my cooking timeline all written out, and have my process down. There are times though, like this Easter Sunday, where I am cooking for 50+ in my family, and they want to eat at 2:00, where it would be nice to be able to enter the "turn in time" and it give me the times for my time line.

Jeremy

Stoke&Smoke
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Sparky, don't know if this will help or not, but for a year or so before we started competing, I kept a log of each meat I was cooking, ambient temp and winds at the time, what cooker (between BGE or WSM) how much the meat weighed, etc.

Every 30 minutes I would log the cooker temp on each shelf, the meat temp, and major shifts in weather (big winds, heavy rain, etc), also would add when I added wood, how much, and what kind. At the end of each cook, I would evaluate the positive and negative. The more you do this, the more you'll get a feel for the average time, under all conditions, so you have a better idea how to react when you commit to a comp

Once you know your aprx. averages, work backwards from turn in times to determine when to start. But I would say start at least an hour or two before when you think you should. Meats hold well in a cooler or cambro, but if they aren't done, you are.

Also bear in mind that every piece of meat will vary, so there are no hard and fast times. And if the forecast includes cold or wind, that has to be factored in

JayAre
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure why Excel can't give you what you want. Start out with cell A1 and type in "1/1/2000 1:00:00 PM". That's your pork turn in time. You can reformat the cell so that it shows only the time and no date. You can also format it to show 24 hour format instead of 12 hour AM/PM format. Now in cell A2, type in "=A1-TIME(6,0,0)". That is six hours earlier, and is your rest time. Now in cell A3, type in "=A2-TIME(10,0,0)". That is ten hours earlier, on the previous day, and is the time you start to cook. If you want to enter in the actual date rather than the bogus date of "1/1/2000," that's fine too, but then of course you have to update it for every event.

Not to turn this into an Excel lesson but in case anyone is wondering, (6,0,0) represents (Hrs, Mins, Secs)

huminie
04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
I found the best thing to do is to create a timeline for each of the 4 meats. Figure out what the best way is for you to cook each of those on your equipment. Write up a step by step timeline. Once you have all 4 meats, create a timeline that combines them all. Look for times where there are too many things to do at once and figure out ways you can adjust to make it more realistic.

I have a copy of my detailed processes in a binder and create a "light" combined version for each contest that I have easily accessible to me on site. I then take the main highlights of Saturday on a special white board so that I can just glance at it at any time to know what comes next. This is especially helpful for my team mates since they can see what the next step is and prepare for it without me having to ask. Also, the less thinking you have to do while in the "heat of the battle" the better.

Being organized and consistent is the most important skill of a competitive cook. It allows you to produce the same product over and over with very little variation. From there you can make small tweaks to improve and get better with each cook.