PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of competing

Twelvegaugepump
03-31-2012, 07:18 PM
I have only been doing this seriously since August. However, I am very interested in joining a non sanctioned comp this August. The 100 entry is cheap. My wife and daughter (6) plan to help. Any creative suggestions for a team name with me and my girls incorporated into it? I am at a loss. Thanks!

Twelvegaugepump
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Wrong thread. How can I move this? Sorry!

fingerlickin'
04-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Fark it, you should just hang out and enter a throwdown.

Al Czervik
04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Fark it, you should just hang out and enter a throwdown.

I second that... Plus we could use that hundy of yours to go into the "certificate" fund. :rolleyes:

Twelvegaugepump
04-01-2012, 06:46 AM
A throwdown sounds like a good time too.

TooSaucedToPork
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I have only been doing this seriously since August. However, I am very interested in joining a non sanctioned comp this August. The 100 entry is cheap. My wife and daughter (6) plan to help. Any creative suggestions for a team name with me and my girls incorporated into it? I am at a loss. Thanks!

Jump in and see how you do...what is it going to hurt?

Ahh, the $100 entry is cheap...but you forget about the other $200-300 you will spend to compete.

When you come up with a name, Google it, check it on Facebook, check it on KCBS website, and check it at bbqteamnames.com to make sure it is not taken...then post it here for us to comment on ;-)

Neil

WineMaster
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Cheez Head Q or Smokin Packers

Ron_L
04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Give us a little more to work with. What other hobbies do you have, or what type of things do you like to do with the girls? Also is there anything unique about Menasha and the area that can be used in a team name?

You should also plan on visiting a competition or two to see what goes on to make sure that you like it. Look at the KCBS site to see what's close to you and then check here as the comp gets closer and you'll probably find a few Brethren teams who will be there.

CBQ
04-01-2012, 04:03 PM
You could always go with a team name that doesn't mean anything :becky:

Podge
04-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Dad and his bosses

Twelvegaugepump
04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Dad and his bosses, very true. Have a pit bull but pit bull BBQ is taken.

Coz
04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I would skip the non sanctioned and go to a KCBS. Last non sanctioned we were at we never saw the scores . At least with KCBS you get the scores and you know the process for scoring etc. Theres a Kcbs here in Wi thats less then the entry you mentioned . Theres a non sanctioned in your area that discouraged teams they didnt want from entering . To me theres no credibility for those folks.

GreenDrake
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Jump in, it's a good time. Lots of fun to just get in there and get cooking. Anyone can win, you will learn as you go. My first one we did some ugly turn in boxes, the brisket wasn't trimmed down, the chicken looked like boneless twinkies and the pulled pork was just a pile. Great time though, good people in bbq are always willing to help you out.

Twelvegaugepump
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Coz, are you talking about Poor Q in Montello? I am judging that for my first judging comp. Maybe I just enter instead! This non sanctioned that I mentioned is run like a KCBS. This is their second year trying to iron out he kinks before becoming sanctioned. PM me if we are talking the same comp.

Thanks for all of he encouragement everyone. As was said in another thread, this is addicting.

Twelvegaugepump
04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Green drake, thanks for the gentle nudge of encouraging words.

Coz
04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Yes , I was speaking of Poor Que. Its held at a nice campground with stuff for the kids to do and it has the KCBS system of rules etc behind it.Any one willing to plop down there 80 bucks is welcome to compete knowing that theres very little payout but it is a sanctioned comp and theres a system there. You have some decent cooks there who will talk with you and answer some questions maybe not give up exact methods ,recipes etc but will give you some good advice. Even if you dont compete come down friday if you can and talk with some of the cooks who are there and get to know some of the competitors who you will see around the comp scene here in Wi. They draw a few out of state teams also.But a lot of our Wi regulars are there also. One thing thats nice is its kinda aways in time from the other Wi comps. August and September gets stupid. 5 comps 4 Weekends beside Sams Club Madison only one other Sanctioned comp in the state the whole rest of the year. :crazy:

DUBBAGA
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Not coming up with too much including your wife and daughter, but was thinking

"PB & K BBQ" (PB for Pit bull, K = Kevin) or
"Who's Your Daddy"

I checked KCBS and surprisingly Who's Your Daddy hasn't been taken

TooSaucedToPork
04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
If you google "Who's your Daddy BBQ" it is a team in the PNWBA...

RoadHawgBBQ
04-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Pit Bull and his girls

Twelvegaugepump
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone. We went with Bully BBQ. Our pit's middle name is Bully and the name has a ring to it and can involve our whole family. I have an idea for some logos too now. I emailed KCBS to register the name. I grabbed www.bullybbq.com and have registered it with the BBQ names database. Thanks again and I hope you all get to know our name over the years!

Sawdustguy
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Just do it. We didn't know our asses from the nearest hole in the wall during our first contest and we still don't, but we have a blast every contest and managed to win two RGC's along the way.

TooSaucedToPork
04-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Congrats on a name...NOW the fun begins...RUN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!

Coz
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Depending on your competitive urges if you get that first call life as you know it may be over :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: And KIDS QUE may really make your life worse . Sometimes I spend more time searching facebook to see how our friends kids did then how they did :oops: Congrats to PLow Kids and Smoke on Wheels kids this week!

Twelvegaugepump
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Do most contests have a kids comp? I have not heard of this and my daughter would love it!

Coz
04-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Do most contests have a kids comp? I have not heard of this and my daughter would love it!

I think the Kingsford contest I told you about does and I am not sure of any of the others .They usually happen on friday nites and announce the results at awards .I think Warrens also does it.

Twelvegaugepump
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks Coz. These look like a ton of fun for the whole family.