PDA

View Full Version : New Competition team

amv81
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I just registered with the KCBS and had to pick a team name for my first comp in Marietta Ohio. Here is what I came up with. Thanks to the people who have given me lots of good tips and I hope to meet many of you there.

Adam

Podge
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
nice!

jketron
03-26-2012, 03:10 PM
thats awesome, I'm still trying to come up with a name.

I didn't see where on the KCBS website to list your team name. I am a member

landarc
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Just another pig on the wall...:razz:

Good luck out there

amv81
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
jketron, here my page

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=3&alph=P&id=824

Just went on today. When i registered it asked if i had a team name, I am not sure where you enter it if you are already a member.

TTNuge
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
jketron, here my page

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=3&alph=P&id=824

Just went on today. When i registered it asked if i had a team name, I am not sure where you enter it if you are already a member.

If you're already a member then send them an email and they will add your team name. At least that worked for me.

mclancey
03-26-2012, 07:15 PM
that's awesome.

Mister Bob
03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Awesome!
And remember:
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Tone
03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Very cool and good luck!

"Pig stain on your fat chin, What do you hope to find?"

Red Valley BBQ
03-26-2012, 08:53 PM
FYI, there is a Pig Floyd team in Colorado. I don't know if team of the year points mean anything to you or not, but it may become complicated if your points are added to thier team or vice versa.

thinbluebbq
03-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Great name and logo. Best of luck in your first competition. If you want a fun competition that is not too far from home, come over to ours in Franklin, Indiana. We have a great downtown event with a lot of great amenities. We cater a lot to newer teams to help make things compact, easy and accessible. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

http://www.thinbluebbq.us/smokeonthesquare

roksmith
03-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the game Adam. I thought I knew all of the Marietta BBQ guys. Be looking forward to meeting you at BrickStreet if not before.
Ha.. Just noticed.. another fellow PID controller guy...nice

Stoke&Smoke
03-27-2012, 10:08 AM
If you're already a member then send them an email and they will add your team name. At least that worked for me.

Been a while, but I think if you log in to their site, and click on BBQ Teams, and click the link in the upper left that says Edit Your Team it should give you the option to enter a new team. Not sure though

Edit: BTW I like your logo!

Outnumbered
03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Awesome name!

ParkAvenue_2
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Very nice. Can't wait to hear the sax solo from "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" at 5:00 AM as I'm stoking a fire and guzzling coffee. :clap2:

expatpig
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Careful with that axe, Eugene!

onehipmex
03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks Red Valley BBQ for the remembering the original PIG FLOYD COMPETITION BBQ TEAM.
Sure we be glad to take your points. Just kidding.But you may want to consider altering your name.
Have a good one.

onehipmex
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
This is Keith, with the original PIG FLOYD PROFESSIONAL BBQ TEAM.
While I do like the name you picked. We have had it for at least 15 years.
We don't venture to your neck of woods but the TOY points will be an issue.
I'm not sure how KCBS will address this.
But we have some great shirts to sell of anyone is interested.

TooSaucedToPork
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I just registered with the KCBS and had to pick a team name for my first comp in Marietta Ohio. Here is what I came up with. Thanks to the people who have given me lots of good tips and I hope to meet many of you there.

Adam

Since that name is taken, check out the BBQ Team Name Database to make sure you don't get a surprise down the road...

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/Teams_interface/Names/results_page.asp

Big George's BBQ
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Very Nice Congrats and have Fun

amv81
03-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Pig Floyd wasn't registered through the KCBS so I thought it was open. I won't be venturing too far from Ohio for competitions so no worries about being in the same comp. and I won't be entering that many comps to have a shot at TOY, so you can have any points i might get. We are also having our first kid in Oct. so this might also be my last competition.

TooSaucedToPork
03-27-2012, 03:56 PM
First off I am not attacking anyone...

Its a cool name, but it is taken...I wouldn't use it. A team OWNS that name, they have worked hard BUILDING that name, it is their reputation at stake. You don't go to the corner down the street and setup your own Big Bob Gibson's or Jack's Old South...same thing in this case

KCBS is not the end all be all, there are dozens of different sanctioning organizations. When looking for a name google it, search the BBQ database, and post in here...99% of the time one of us will know if its taken.

Sorry if I'm hurting feelings...I don't mean to, its just a big problem in the last few years now that BBQ has blown up and gotten really popular.

Neil

Parts_Guy
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Since that name is taken, check out the BBQ Team Name Database to make sure you don't get a surprise down the road...

I went there...and I wouldn't pay $9.95 to have my name there. He went and checked where I would have and that was KCBS. Simple mistake of duplicating a team name.

Parts_Guy
03-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Pig Floyd wasn't registered through the KCBS so I thought it was open. I won't be venturing too far from Ohio for competitions so no worries about being in the same comp. and I won't be entering that many comps to have a shot at TOY, so you can have any points i might get. We are also having our first kid in Oct. so this might also be my last competition.

Congrats on your 1st kid. I just found out this weekend my wife is knocked too. Looks like we might have a Thanksgiving baby...and future BBQ'er;)

Coz
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Congrats on your 1st kid. I just found out this weekend my wife is knocked too. Looks like we might have a Thanksgiving baby...and future BBQ'er;)

First off congrats on the LIL Croation in the works. Maybe when you get tied down with the lil monster I will hijack your POP to cook with us. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Parts_Guy
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Speaking of the Lil Croatian....my pops doesn't know yet;)

TooSaucedToPork
03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I went there...and I wouldn't pay $9.95 to have my name there. He went and checked where I would have and that was KCBS. Simple mistake of duplicating a team name.

KCBS is not the end all be all, there are dozens of different sanctioning organizations. When looking for a name google it, search the BBQ database, and post in here...99% of the time one of us will know if its taken.

^^^^thats why I wrote this. I don't blame anyone for not coughing up $9.95, but it is still a good tool to use to look for names already in use. Its a respect issue, if you know a name belongs to another team you don't use it...period.

SirPorkaLot
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM

The problem with that site, is it is not exclusive ether.
Just cause you plunk down $10 to register your name, doesn't mean you have rights to that name.

Team names are a brand, and as with any brand teams have to protect their brands. However unless you trademark it, there is not much that can be done.

When we started in 2009 I looked across all media and resources. Including KCBS, bbqteamnames.com, Facebook, twitter, google etc.
Once I found a name that appeared to be untaken by any active team, I immediately assumed that brand.
On the Brethren, KCBS, twitter, facebook, etc.

Now if any team wants to call themselves Sir Porkalot BBQ, I really do not have a recourse, but I do have the brand tied up.

Coz
03-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Speaking of the Lil Croatian....my pops doesn't know yet;)

Your lucky I read this .I almost called to congratulate him :shock::shock::oops::oops:

onehipmex
03-28-2012, 01:01 AM
TooSaucedtoPork has a valid point on name generation/research. We are defiantly listed on Facebook as Pig Floyd and with the Rocky Mountain BBQ Association, www.rmbbqa.org
Congrats on your newborn btw.

amv81
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
I am working on a new name as we speak, thats the only fair thing to do. I will give an update once I do my due diligence on the name.

roksmith
03-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Landarc had a good idea for you. Just Another Pig on(or in) the Wall.
Simple change to your graphic..Don't think it's taken

amv81
03-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Thats good, I was also thinking Comfortably Numb BBQ or Pigs on the Wing, two great floyd songs

EatonHoggBBQ
03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Pigs on the Wing is already used.

amv81
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Ok, I have googled, went to KCBS, and went to bbqteamnames.com to see if anyone has this name. It didn't show up anywhere so if anyone knows of a team named Hey You please let me know.

Adam

Lion Bout The Q
03-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Very cool

roksmith
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
nice

amv81
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
KCBS has deleted PIG FLOYD and put in HEY YOU BBQ in it's place.

TooSaucedToPork
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
KCBS has deleted PIG FLOYD and put in HEY YOU BBQ in it's place.

Right on!!! That has a nice ring to it. And the shirts will definitely get your attention.

big brother smoke
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Nice, love that song!

scm1226
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
If you compete in KCBS then your name should be in their database, simple. I searched and searched before we had our name picked out. There was ZERO. we registered that name in KCBS and then I was googling a while later and found someone else had that name also turned out the team started same time ours did. Do I care? Nope do they ? Don't know. But we are the team listed in KCBS.
But regardless any team name that is a assciated with Floyd is alright in my book.

onehipmex
03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks to " Hey You BBQ" and to everyone else for their input.