PDA

View Full Version : smoked turkey for 50

butt head
03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a party to do in may(got insured and licence last year) and they asked for sliced turkey. Will be serving pulled pork, kilbasie(think thats how you spell it:icon_blush:) with mac&cheese,aue graton potatoes,garden and fruit salads for $18 a head.I'm guessing the same as pork 1/4 lb per person so maybe 15lb pre cooked would do for the turkey. Do's that sound right.

Thanks for any help. John(head butthead)

PorkQPine
03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Are you doing whole turkeys or the double bone-in breasts? The double bone-in breasts are easier to handle, take a brine quickly and are a snap to carve plus there is less waste and shrinkage.

butt head
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I was thinking bone in breast for same reason

butt head
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
:wave:

BigBellyBBQ
04-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Stay away from Swanson or sara Lee, breast they are chopped up, Rightfords or Jenny O alway good. I get the boneless....bump up your serving per person, people love this..big seller up here...

dont waste your time with a whole bird..to much time to carve..

butt head
04-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Stay away from Swanson or sara Lee, breast they are chopped up, Rightfords or Jenny O alway good. I get the boneless....bump up your serving per person, people love this..big seller up here...

dont waste your time with a whole bird..to much time to carve..

thanks, was looking at doing bone in whole breast so i could stuff the cavity with orange and lemons, did this with whole turkeys before and taste great. so maybe 3 servings per pound ?

vafish
04-13-2012, 06:52 AM
General rule of thumb I have always uses for thanksgiving was 1lb of fresh whole turkey per person.

That leaves a lot of leftovers and a lot of waste.

With all the other meat you are doing I'd think you 1/3 lb per person would be enough.