PDA

View Full Version : Creekstone Farms Brisket

dosvans
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I heard Dr BBQ mention on the last BBQ Central Radio Show that he used Brisket from Creekstone Farms at the Sam's competition. Has anyone else used the product from Creekstone Farms before for a competition or home use?

Pappy Q
03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I used them from local distributor and on line direct from them, my experience was the quality was very inconsistent.

RX2006JE
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
I have been using the CAB Select brisket and have had good luck with them from a local meat distributor.

indianagriller
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I have used them a few times and the first one was great, but the following two were horrible for the price, very small flats. I would use them again if i was able to choose my brisket, but for luck of the draw no thank you.

Podge
03-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I agree with above comments.

luckyduk
03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
One case I had a 15 pound average all awesome briskets, this last one not so much, maybe 2 or so usable for contests

musicmanryann
03-23-2012, 04:46 PM
The last time I bought a case of primes from my local wholesaler they were $2.50/lb and most were good for comp use. Pretty darn good for the price!

The Cosmic Pig
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I bought a couple yesterday, and looking forward to trying them out! They look pretty good, as I was able to pick through the box and choose what I wanted!

drbbq
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I can't speak to the case runs but they are very interested in pleasing the BBQ community via mail order. They do have big briskets and are willing to pick them for us. I think there was a time when they were misunderstanding and shipping the longest flats instead of the heaviest briskets but like I said they want to get it right. The 15lb prime briskets are a bargain at $80 shipped IMO. I'll be with the marketing manager in Las Vegas next week and I welcome anybody to stop by and tell her what exactly we want. I think they'll quickly understand and the big briskets will be coming our way.

djqualls
03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I used a Creekstone Prime at WinterQ. The whole case averaged 18lbs each.

It scored 178.8572. I'm trying hard to get my score up as I write this..

jbrink01
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Cooked Strube Ranch most of last year at $1100 for 12. Bought 2 cases of CAB Prime yesterday for $2.89/#. Gonna give it a shot.

Shotgun
03-24-2012, 08:58 AM
The last time I bought a case of primes from my local wholesaler they were $2.50/lb and most were good for comp use. Pretty darn good for the price!

They must be giving you one hell of a deal, because I just got quoted more than double per lb price for a case.

Limp Brisket
03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Got two aging in dedicated fridge now, they look very good, thick flats and huge points.

HarleyGirl14226
08-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Just received our first 14-16 pound Creekstone brisket yesterday... Honestly we are VERY disapointed with it... It's an extremely thin flat, and almost no point. Don't think we'll be dropping $100 with them again for something I can pick up at RD.

For others who have good experiences with them - are you able to specifically tell them the order is for competition? Does that help with the quality/size of the brisket? (we ordered via the website)

Nordy
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
My experience is this time of year briskets are going to be pretty thin... especially with all the heat in the Creekstone area of the country. They are overall much "beefier" in the winter months to early spring.

AZScott
08-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I think it's just hard to find a good brisket right now. With the record low herd sizes, the heat, the drought, the high corn cost and the 3 "pink slime" plants closing causing more brisket to be used for ground beef is making it very hard to find good briskets. It's also the reason the price seems to rise higher and higher every month. In the past 3 weeks I have looked through around 12 cases of briskets and I've found 3 briskets that I was happy with. I'm also sure that Creekstone has reached their tipping point due to the massive amount of people purchasing their briskets for competitions. SRF briskets went down in quality, thin or narrow flats, as well as more and more people bought from them.

Qbert60
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I know that "Motley Que Crew" is sponsored by them. They use them for the comps they compete in.

djqualls
08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I used a Creekstone Prime at WinterQ. The whole case averaged 18lbs each.

It scored 178.8572. I'm trying hard to get my score up as I write this..

In Iola, Ks on July 28th, I caught that 180 with a Creekstone Prime.

Just got 10 of the 17+ briskets in yesterday to use and all have great even thick flats and good marbling.

This is extraordinary consider in the draught we are having.

TheJackal
08-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Have you guys tried to find meat purveyors in your area that carry Creekstone or that can at least get it for you? I completely understand not wanting to chance it with a blind order shipped to you. Neither do we. With a little research we found at least 2 purveyors in NJ that acquire Creekstone and let us look through cases to hand pick our briskets.

I will second the comments on slim pickings though. At our last pickup we had to go through 3 cases to find 4 briskets worth buying.

didisea
08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
The one that I had shipped to me arrived fairly frozen and the cryo had been dinged a little so be sure and check the packaging and reseal it if you can if you are going to wet age it any.

AZScott
08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
In Iola, Ks on July 28th, I caught that 180 with a Creekstone Prime.

Just got 10 of the 17+ briskets in yesterday to use and all have great even thick flats and good marbling.

This is extraordinary consider in the draught we are having.

Wow! Sounds good. David, you mind posting some pics of them in the package? I'm hoping to see how the primes I'm getting look compared to the Creekstone primes.

Eggspert
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
We have purchased 4 of them so far. One was awesome. One looked good but did not turn out as good (not sure if it was the cooking). I just got two today for aging and they are quite a bit smaller and lighter then the previous two, but they are the $80 ones not the larger. We struggle to get brisket that size 12-14 pounds. Most of the brisket where we are gets ground for burger or is just the flat. I can't come close to the price and quality. So I am sticking with them. Customer service has been awesome. So far I am very happy with the company.

Eggspert BBQ

Eggspert
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I have heard of Creekstone sending you a new brisket free of charge if the cryovac is broken. Call them, if you are aging you can't do it if the seal has been broken.

Eggspert BBQ

Shady
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I used Creekstone until they raised the price and had good results. Briskets were always nicely marbled, thick in the flats and good beef taste. For the money they charge now step up to SRF.

Balls Casten
08-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Snake river did the same thing, we were paying the money just so we didn't have to run around town picking thru boxes. But our last batch weighed in good but the flats were the thinnest we've seen. We'll give them another shot then go back to picking thru cases.

athenslb57
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
WE really liked the briskets from Paradise Locker (http://www.paradisemeats.com/bbq)