PDA

View Full Version : MBN Garnish Questions

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-22-2012, 11:56 AM
What is allowed inside the cooker for presentation and what isn't?

How do people keep the garnish from wilting in a warm cooker? Does it get replaced in between rounds of judging?

Lake Dogs
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
As a judge, I cannot think of anything that isn't allowed. I mean, you'd want to keep it clean and in the vein of fruit/vegetables, but other than that, I cannot think of anything. I'll have a few pics of mine and others below (I'm both a judge and a competitor [when I can]).

As a competitor, I brought the temps DOWN on the smoker before putting the garnish in there. I also kept the garnish moisturized by spritzing it with water a time or two...

Bubba Grills Ribs pic:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/NewImage.jpg

Yazoo's Delta Q's Hog pic:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/231105_2085778111033_1442561841_32468099_6591757_n .jpg

Lake Dogs' for Ribs and Shoulders pic:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/DSC00356.jpg

TooSaucedToPork
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
What is allowed inside the cooker for presentation and what isn't?

How do people keep the garnish from wilting in a warm cooker? Does it get replaced in between rounds of judging?

Nothing is off limits except other meats...

You turn the cooker off, put meat in a cambro, ventilate, and garnish.
OR you place all your garnish on a removeable tray

Nope same garish

Lake Dogs
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
^^^ I said I cant think of anything, and I was thinking of garnish... No other meats in there!!! Keep it to vegetables, fruit, and you'll do great.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Do many teams cook more than one hog? It seems like that by the time you build a blind box, and have the first three judges come by, your hog would be looking rough during finals if you were lucky enough to be chosen.

Lake Dogs
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Almost all cook just the 1 hog. I'm sure someone, somewhere has cooked more, but I've only seen 1. I dont/haven't done one in MBN, but I've judged on-site hog many times. There's definitely an art to keeping the hog looking good and not shredded to pieces. I've also seen some rough looking hogs too... :-)

ModelMaker
03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Man, I just wouldn't have the energy for such dog & pony stuff (or cash).
Qudos to you that do.
Ed

Lake Dogs
03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Man, I just wouldn't have the energy for such dog & pony stuff (or cash).
Qudos to you that do.
Ed

Yeah, it's expensive (like twice KCBS), but it is a heck-of-a-lot of fun!!! A lot of extra work, too. KCBS you can have a complete mess of a smoker and cook site and cooks and still GC. Not even in MBN... Polish doesnt win, but lack-of-polish will get you killed.

I love it. My main co-cook likes KCBS better because it's less work and he really likes eating the left-over brisket... I love MBN because it's just so darned HARD (to do it really well).

japerry01
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I think most folks pull the meat for their blind boxes and the judges from the backside of the hog. That way the side you present is nice and clean looking