PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Memphis for the Weekend

bdodson
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Had one of the best ribs in life a beer joint there. Afterward have eaten at a few places on Beale but not impressed. Good but not "me". The rib Ihad was dry, lik it was rubbed only. Any suggestions were we could venture out for a great rib? I am in Chattanooga and will be in Memphis Saturday and back to Chat via Nashville on Sunday.

Thnaks for suggestions,
Leadbelly

nosbusa
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
You always hear about the Rendezvous in Memphis. The last two times I ate there it wasn't very good.

Here are a few suggestions. Leonard's Barbecue. BBQ ribs/buffet Saturday night. Germantown Commissary, Cozy Corner, Corky's. Marlowe's on Elvis Presley.

frognot
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Danielle (DivaQ) has a great Memphis thread in her blog (from 2010).

http://divaq.ca/tag/memphis

bdodson
03-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Thank you. A good start and I looked at the link from the suggested thread. I will venture out as well as half the fun is finding a hole or joint of you own. If I have anything worthy I will report. I was hoping to fire up my first smoker and home built one to boot this weekend, but if its getting put off at least it is Memphis.
Leadbelly

Bigdog
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Go to Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ and get two pulled pork Sammie's with slaw and some beans and slaw on the side.:thumb:

NBBD
03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I only had the pleasure once but Commissary had the best ribs on our Memphis trip

bdodson
03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
B.B. Kings, Blues City Cafe, The Pig - all on Beale street ribs ok, but nothing to write home about. I think it is like getting cajun on Bourbon street... lackluster. You gotta get out of the tourist area for good stuff. The best ribs I have had - maybe ever - was down at a place called the Red Rooster on the end of Beale but they are no longer.
I am looking for somthing akin to Daddy D'z Joynt on Hill Street in Atlanta GA. THat was some good food there.
While in Memphis, I did have some great catfish, fried green tomatoes, and sweat poatatoe fries at a place called Soul Fish. The Mississippi Mud and Carmel Pecan pies were awesome, not to mention the sweet tea. I was so saturated, I was afraid if I stirred it the sugar would fall out of solution like a chemestry experiment.
So enough of my opinions. Time to gt my build done (see the link in my signature) and maybe try my hand by next weekend. Those that can do, those that can't critque.
Leadbelly

bdodson
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
oh, thnaks for the ideas and I will keep them in mind on my next run through. I did eat at Rendevous last time I was there.
Leadbelly

4uweque
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I think you've already been here, but a few names are Cozy Corner, Central BBQ, Germantown Commisary, and Memphis BBQ Company. These are my favorite commercial places, not in any order.

MikeMSD
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah, Rendezvous is a tourist place. From what I understand, they cook their ribs hot and fast over direct heat. Corky's is another place I consider touristy. I personally like Central BBQ, Bar-B-Que Shop, Tom's, and Neely's Interstate. I've heard good things about Germantown Commissary too. They are on my list to try next.

BIGBrandon2785
04-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I went to Interstate a few years back and I wasent impressed,im hearded back down their in June and im gonna try Central BBQ and Cozy Corner,ive heard good things about both.

OutlawSwine
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Definitely try Memphis BBQ Company. I have not been there, but this is Melissa and Pete Cookston's place (Yazoo's Delta Q) and just opened a couple of months ago. They are Brethren so it's always a plus to support fellow Brethren.