PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club for Spectators

Nordy
03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I've had several people ask me what the situation is at Sam's Club events for spectators... I could answer for most "normal" competitions, but what's going on for specs at the Sams Club Events?

Thanks in advance...

Nordy

big brother smoke
03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Last year they had a demo with Troy Black for spectators, so they (spectators) are more than welcome.

southernstyle
03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
There were quite a few in tampa. We were told not to give out samples but it was going on and the public loved it

CivilWarBBQ
03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Dunno what is happening this year, but in Marietta in 2011 there were no public spectators beyond the people who had come to shop anyway and the Sam's Club employees themselves who had no idea what was going on.

EDIT - that was the Marietta, Georgia event, in the NW Atlanta metro area.

El Pistolero
03-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Troy Black is putting on his demonstrations as he did last year, beginning at about 1:00pm. Tyson is also there with wing samples, and one other group is there grilling steaks and passing out samples. Sampling is from 11:00am till 4:00pm.

RangerJ
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Both years "spectators" have wandered into my tent and tried to sample something that was on my cutting board just about to be boxed.

This year was worse as I was right next to Troy's trailer. In fact, after informing them that I was not allowed to give out samples I then had to answer about why the others in my tent were eating.

After explaining that they were friends and family I was told that I was a liar and the extended palm remained out asking for chow. Calling me a liar and saying "gimme" is not the best technique for getting me to give in.

I considered whacking the spectator with my cutting board but figured hitting a 70 something year old woman would be frowned upon...

Dan - 3eyzbbq
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Both years "spectators" have wandered into my tent and tried to sample something that was on my cutting board just about to be boxed.

This year was worse as I was right next to Troy's trailer. In fact, after informing them that I was not allowed to give out samples I then had to answer about why the others in my tent were eating.

After explaining that they were friends and family I was told that I was a liar and the extended palm remained out asking for chow. Calling me a liar and saying "gimme" is not the best technique for getting me to give in.

I considered whacking the spectator with my cutting board but figured hitting a 70 something year old woman would be frowned upon...

Funny, sounds like Laurel, MD. Not much for the public and boy were they mean when you said no.

boogiesnap
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
sounds like it'll be a 4 walls up kinda day. :roll:

Rich Parker
03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Everybody was very respectfull in Traverse City and Indianapolis last year.

RangerJ
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
sounds like it'll be a 4 walls up kinda day. :roll:

I think it really depends on where you are at. Last year I had a spot outside of everyone else facing the parking lot. Try to avoid this...

This year, I was right next to Troy's demo and 3 sample booths. Understandable for folks to walk up and think I was doing the same.

Nordy
03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys... Looking forward to it tomorrow... Sounds like building boxes inside the trailer or having "4 walls up" might not be a bad idea on Sat

Rich Parker
03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Without the spectators Sam's Club wouldn't even have this tournament.

boogiesnap
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Without the spectators Sam's Club wouldn't even have this tournament.

i'd strongly disagree. these are comps, not "events".

no PC, no vendors, no entertainment, no show, etc.

there is zero spectator draw.

if by spectators you mean sam's customers, well, then i'd agree. but they ain't there because we're cooking.

caseydog
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
So, why would Sam's Club do this event if they don't want spectators -- or at least don't want them to get free samples?

Wait, what was I thinking? The Walton's don't allow anyone to get something for free. :doh: I'm sure they only want to draw people into their stores to BUY things. If it doesn't make the Walton family richer, they want nothing to do with it.

My feeling is, let the participating teams give out samples, if they want to. If I were competing, I'd get almost as big a kick out of lots of people telling me they like my que, as I would get winning something.

Maybe this is yet another reason I don't feel drawn to competition BBQ.

CD

CBQ
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
There were some vendors in Pittsburgh showing products, but very, very few people coming over to see what was going on in the parking lot. No problem with people begging for food when there are no spectators.

CBQ
03-22-2012, 07:33 PM
My feeling is, let the participating teams give out samples, if they want to. If I were competing, I'd get almost as big a kick out of lots of people telling me they like my que, as I would get winning something.

I like that myself, which is one reason why it's fun to do Harpoon, but most of the time it has nothing to do with the event organizers. The health departments in most states (at least in the north) prohibit it. For Harpoon, teams have to get approved by a health department inspector before they can distribute food. Same thing for Norwalk.

dmprantz
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Funny, sounds like Laurel, MD.

And Cumming! That wasn't Sam's, but they were glad to eat whatever crap was on my prep table without asking. At Sam's in Birmingham last year, we didn't have any food stealers, but we had an "expert" behind us giving the play-by-play of how we were trimming our pork. We bought sidewalls the next day.

dmp

boogiesnap
03-22-2012, 08:01 PM
sam's isn't making money AT the comps.

it's making money by the comps somewhere else. not sure where, but i don't care.

bottom line is it doesn't seem to me like a "spectator" type of competition.

Rich Parker
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
i'd strongly disagree. these are comps, not "events".

no PC, no vendors, no entertainment, no show, etc.

there is zero spectator draw.

if by spectators you mean sam's customers, well, then i'd agree. but they ain't there because we're cooking.

Troy Black made it clear to us that these events were bringing in big dollars for the clubs.

Why would Sam's put a half million in prize money if they didn't have a plan to make money? I doubt it is for their love of bbq.

I hope they make a lot of money and other companies see it and have their own events.

boogiesnap
03-22-2012, 09:09 PM

boogiesnap
03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Troy Black made it clear to us that these events were bringing in big dollars for the clubs.

Why would Sam's put a half million in prize money if they didn't have a plan to make money? I doubt it is for their love of bbq.

I hope they make a lot of money and other companies see it and have their own events.

i never said they didn't have a plan to make money. it's just not AT the comps.

Rich Parker
03-22-2012, 10:39 PM
i never said they didn't have a plan to make money. it's just not AT the comps.

Is increased sales in their store the two days the competition is being held not AT the comp?

CivilWarBBQ
03-23-2012, 03:26 AM
I'll admit I'm mystified at Sam's business model for this series. To me it's odd that a company would invest so heavily in such events and then not do anything at all to publicize them - to the point of not even informing the employees at the locations where the events are held. Quite strange to me, but hey, it's their money.

Utah Jake
03-23-2012, 11:53 PM
I've decided this year to pay 100% attention to the contest and let someone else be the BBQ Ambassador of Good Will. I will use two EZ Ups, the front one will be for show and public separation and the back one will be closed off and where all the real work takes place. Feeding the public is like throwing fries out your car window at Burger King. The more you feed the seagulls the more seagulls will show up. The only reward in feeding the public is having them feed your ego with compliments.