PDA

View Full Version : Buying a box of Briskets

scm1226
03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
With prices of meat rising, we were thinking of buying a case this year when it goes on sale. Well at least get the case price.
We're Planning on doing three to four contests this year.
How many come in a case? Do you age the briskets before you freeze them?
How Long can I freeze them for?

southernstyle
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Typically 6 come in a case unless you get wagyu. I wet age all of minebefore freezing. Usually about 40 days past the packed date 37- 42 deg un disturbed if possible. Six months are good to go possibly up to nine. Hope this hlpd

ROF, Texas
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Be careful purchasing full cases. The packing houses seem to hide some really large and really small briskets in a case. I would rather pay the .20 cents per pound and select a better product.

Slamdunkpro
03-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Brisket boxes are typically around 80 lbs. Unfortunalty for us, packers don't sort briskets like they do other cuts so you might get 3 monsters in one box, 10 8 pounders in another or a mix. You just never know.

Red Valley BBQ
03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
I have had good luck at RD. The guys there don't care if I open the case prior to buying so I can see what I'm getting.

AZScott
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I used to do that when I used wagyu's from a local source. That was the only way I could get them at a reasonable price. I kicked myself every time I did it since you have no clue whatsoever about what you will get other than knowing who the packer was. I would never buy a case again unless I could assemble it myself.

jelser
03-22-2012, 08:56 AM
I bought a case of prime a few months ago which I had my meat guy special order and there were 7 briskets in that case. I was pleased with 2 or 3 of them but the rest were 10 pounds or under. Price was good but not sure if I'll be buying anymore cases because I can't see what sizes I'm getting.

ROF, Texas
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Sounds like we have all had the same problems. I will not buy it without being able to see, touch & feel!

warfrat
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
I've had the best luck searching for the heaviest case when "buying blind" from RD. The last case I bought was 88#'s and there were only five Briskets! That's the luckiest I've been with it though. I just bought a case this week...80#'s and there were six...with maybe 3 contest quality briskets.

Podge
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
There's only 3 things you should buy by the case, Beer, wine and whiskey.

Ken V
03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Just picked up a case today. I have a buddy that works at IBP and once a month gets a pretty good employee sale discount on. This case was 5 briskets @ 80#. The smallest was just over 14#. Their wet aging in the fridge.

Scottie
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
If they are INPUT briskets they come 5 or 6 per case. Just depends on time of year and the size of the cattle coming in. I have 8 cases ordered and aging. Try and match them up and Throw them in freezer. I wouldn't wait. Prices are doing nothing but going up.