BBQ_MAFIA
03-20-2012, 02:52 AM
BBQ MAFIA will be there

Sledneck
03-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Team list will be posted this afternoon. They are full at 20 teams

SmokeInDaEye
03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Can't wait. I've always dreamed of spending the night in Staten Island.

wickedbbq'r
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know if they get the proclamation for this to be a state championship?

Sledneck
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
20 Competing Teams

BBQ Mafia
Island Smoke Ring
JC's Wicked BBQ
The Smoke 'N Pit
Carmel Street Pit Crew
BBQ - Brethren
Burnt Side Down
Rocco's Rubs
R2-BQ
North Meets South BBQ
Meat at Slim's
Blazin' Buttz BBQ
The Meatwave
Smoke in Da Eye
Three Men and a Baby Back
Hog Wild BBQ
Smokopolis BBQ
Mornin' Wood Long Island
Hart Attack
Can't Stop Grillin'

Sledneck
03-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know if they get the proclamation for this to be a state championship?

Last I heard they were working in it

BBQ_MAFIA
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Anyone else get a call from Liz on the contest?
She told me that we couldn't set up prior to 7PM on Saturday as they need to clear out the Chili contest teams. She told me her plan was to have a stageing area out side of the cooking area where meat could be inspected so once they open the cooking area this step would be finished.

She also asked what type of equipment we would bring.

Seems to be a bit odd, or am I looking at this wrong.
I'm looking forward to having a good time and as I have not done a
ton of contest I thought I would ask it you guys were called.

dreed
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Did not get a call, however the check-in time is getting later and later. I wonder how early we can get to the staging area?

ique
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Anyone have an update on what the schedule looks like for this event?

dreed
04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
you're there as the "Hart Attack"? New Name? nice.

Anyone have an update on what the schedule looks like for this event?

ique
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Doesnt look like I can get down there in time for the chili contest. I'm all signed up for it, anyone want to cook it for me? Schedule I received in email

Saturday:
8am-9am Chili load-in
10am cooks meeting
1pm Salsa turn-in
2pm Chili Verde turn-in
3pm Traditional Chili turn-in

Sunday:
2 pm Chicken turn-in
2:30 Pork Ribs turn-in
3:00 Pork butt turn-in
3:30 Brisket turn-in

pigmaker23
04-11-2012, 09:35 PM
See ya there

SmokeInDaEye
04-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Full page story that talks about the contest in today's new York daily news

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/barbecue-expert-clint-cantwell-competes-york-city-barbecue-cookoff-staten-island-article-1.1060720

MilitantSquatter
04-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Full page story that talks about the contest in today's new York daily news

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/barbecue-expert-clint-cantwell-competes-york-city-barbecue-cookoff-staten-island-article-1.1060720

Don't you mean more like an article that talks about Clint and also mentions the contest ?

just kidding... the NYC press and general public will miss SIDE.

Sorry I missed you at Williepalooza yesterday...

BBQCure
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Can't Stop Grillin' is in and looking forward to it.

Tim

SmokeInDaEye
04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Supposedly we can't keep our trailers and/or vehicles on site? We have to unload and pull them out at 7 at night then start prepping? Guess I'm sleeping outside.

Frank Sacco
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Supposedly we can't keep our trailers and/or vehicles on site? We have to unload and pull them out at 7 at night then start prepping? Guess I'm sleeping outside.

I'm sorry Clint, I didn't read that information in the article you had written about yourself. I'm happy you posted for all to know :puke:

wickedbbq'r
04-17-2012, 05:20 AM

I hope not. With the weather forcast for this weekend it would be great to have our trailers on-site.

deez butts
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Doesnt look like I can get down there in time for the chili contest. I'm all signed up for it, anyone want to cook it for me? Schedule I received in email

Saturday:
8am-9am Chili load-in
10am cooks meeting
1pm Salsa turn-in
2pm Chili Verde turn-in
3pm Traditional Chili turn-in

Sunday:
2 pm Chicken turn-in
2:30 Pork Ribs turn-in
3:00 Pork butt turn-in
3:30 Brisket turn-in

The Chili contest is an ICS event so I think you need an ICS member number to compete in salsa, verde and traditional red. A lot of these they let you sign up to become a member at the event but I don't know how this one is being run. If there are 20 or more cooks the winners also advance to the world championship this year in Charleston WV. I don't think the ICS would look kindly on someone cooking under a different person's member number, so if someone were to cook in your place they would need to replace the member number that was signed up with their own.

speedrcer1
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM

I think that would give teams that have their smokers mounted onto a trailer an unfair advantage.
Plus teams that have large trailers with dedicated prep areas in the trailer, but cookers outside would really be hurt.

Yakfishingfool
04-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Any more news here folks??

Sledneck
04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
I think that would give teams that have their smokers mounted onto a trailer an unfair advantage.
Plus teams that have large trailers with dedicI justated prep areas in the trailer, but cookers outside would really be hurt.

I just finished bolting my 3 wsm to the roof of my van

SmokeInDaEye
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
I heard spaces are 10x10 and no vehicles/trailers are allowed unless your cookers are mounted but this is unconfirmed. Waiting on a call.

Cue's Your Daddy
04-18-2012, 10:14 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4gmQGO0yVtYgDUJUIT5f1RxU8Zvb7V 2mfJfF2ML4PRWMa6tXxOILBgqbpRw

Yakfishingfool
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Hmmmm...canopy is bigger than that. Guess it'll be a WSM shoot out kind of thing.

eggzlot
04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm competing with Guido/BBQ Mafia, and his Lang is longer than 10', its about 17'!! We were told 20x20 and even paid extra for 20x30 because they promised us we could use the extra space to park our cars next to our site - I have an email confirming this request. Now they are saying no cars/trailers which if it is a grass field and its raining, we can understand to some degree, but....

10x10 seems rather small.

Late check in, potential rain disaster and cooking more food with the people's choice portion right after KCBS turn ins as well - should be an interesting weekend to say the least.

Sledneck
04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
10 x 10 is the space for the chili

eggzlot
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
ah ok - I thought 10x10 was the KCBS event.

Any confirmation on check in time? I heard 7pm but they may offer a side area to get meat inspected early so you can start preperations?

ique
04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
This should be interesting.

BBQCure
04-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Liz emailed me yesterday after I asked a bunch of questions. Here is her response

1. We will have construction lighting towers on site for cooking. If you need electricity for something else, I think Orly would like the teams to bring quiet generators if you have one. You should speak to her more about that. I can refund your electricity payment if you tell me before Friday.
2. I am not doing the site mapping, so I can't say where your specific spot will be, but the ground here varies from grass to concrete.
3. Water is close by in two locations as described in the info packet. One location has hot and cold potable water, the other has non-potable water for rinsing. You should bring jugs, no hose.
4. Haha, I will be sure to ask your wife about your level of confusion... No worries, I completely understand. It is confusing! Heres what i know: The meat inspection will take place at the waiting area, and teams will be instructed to leave that area in the order that we need them to load into the main site. So it would be best to arrive by 5-5:30. This way we can get everyone lined up properly, do the meat inspection, then send you to your competition spot. The reason for this is that we have a chili cookoff going on at the main site until 4pm, so we need time to clear up the site and prepare for BBQ to move in.

I think I have another question to answer... I'm going to that one next...

Haha, thanks for bearing with me!

Liz

also here is another email response

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the slow response, I was just using the responses to my previous message as a "head count" on who got my email. I just realized that you replied with questions.

If you need your trailer for cooking, then you can absolutely keep it at your spot. Sorry for the confusion. Orly Wiseman (the event co-chair) should be giving all teams a call to discuss this. If she hasn't spoken with you yet, I will have her call you. She is doing the site mapping, so she has been speaking to each team. I will try to answers the questions from your other email in one moment... Heading over to it right now!

SmokeInDaEye
04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Ah, 20x20 is much better. Eggzlot, the people's choice starts at 2pm, the same time as the first KCBS turn-in.

eggzlot
04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Clint - thanks for the heads up. An early email from Liz said people's choice started after our last turn in "but you could start sooner potentially".

statenislandliz
04-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, I'm one of the organizers of the Staten Island BBQ event this weekend and am here to answer any questions. We're super excited to have you join us. Let me know if I can help with anything. Orly

statenislandliz
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm competing with Guido/BBQ Mafia, and his Lang is longer than 10', its about 17'!! We were told 20x20 and even paid extra for 20x30 because they promised us we could use the extra space to park our cars next to our site - I have an email confirming this request. Now they are saying no cars/trailers which if it is a grass field and its raining, we can understand to some degree, but....

10x10 seems rather small.

Late check in, potential rain disaster and cooking more food with the people's choice portion right after KCBS turn ins as well - should be an interesting weekend to say the least.

Hey guys, spoke with Phil last week, and I think we are in good shape. We're going to make sure everyone gets the space they need. If you post to this site with info, that will help us.

SmokeInDaEye
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Ah cool. Thanks Orly! Just sorting out site layout and our trailer since we keep a lot of the equipment in it, especially if it is pouring rain.

BBQchef33
04-18-2012, 02:17 PM
guys, i spent a while on the phone with Orly and space wise they are going to accommodate us for whats needed. Shes going to be monitoring this thread, so any requirements you have, let her know, especially when it comes to space and power.

Some power will be available but may be >100 feet away, so bring extra extension cords. Water may also be available via hoses... Just in case they can work this out, make sure you have your hoses and Y connectors.

Also, You can pull in early as Friday as long as orly knows and can make the arrangements.

TheJackal
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Orly-

We have a 6' x 12' trailer and need it on site. We cannot operate without it. It will fit in our 20x20 designated space. Thanks for accommodating us. We will also be prepared with extension cords and hoses for any available water or electricity. Electricity is more important to us than a hose hookup. Thanks.

-Greg and Mark, Smokopolis BBQ

BBQCure
04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Orly

we too have a trailer that needs to be on site. All our equipment will fit in a 20x20 site. Our trailer is 16 feet lon

Thanks
Tim
Can't Stop Grillin'

meatwave
04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Orly,
I'm planning to bring a 100ft extension cord for power. Can you let me know for sure if power will be available, and this will be enough length.
--Josh

Meat@Slim's
04-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Orly,

I need to park my truck on my site as it offers dry storage and dry sleeping.

20 x 20 will do.

Can you please confirm power and hose hook-up availability?

Many thanks,

Steve

Mornin' Wood
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Orly, same as Meat@Slims - that is, I need my truck on site, mostly for storage, but also for rest. Looks like rain is likely.

Should also be able to stuff it all in 20'x20'.

Thanks very much.

Chuck

wickedbbq'r
04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi Orly, we will need our trailer on site as well. Thank you!

eggzlot
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Orly,

BBQ Mafia paid for the larger space, 20'x30', and because of the weather, we too are going to need our SUV's onsite. We can fit our smoker, cars and everything else within the 20x30 space. I had originally emailed with Liz about this when the contest first was announced and at the time she ok'd parking cars by our site if we paid for the extra room.

One other question - for people's choice, are we handing it out from our competition area, or is there a centralized area where we hand in our pork and they serve from there? Just wondering if we are serving, are we provided with plates/napkins/utensils, etc to hand out? It is our first people's choice alongside a KCBS event so just wanted to double check protocol.

Thank you!

SmokeInDaEye
04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice article about the contest on SILive.com today. http://www.silive.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2012/04/the_hunger_games_on_staten_isl.html

BBQchef33
04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
"And Cantwell isn’t just blowing smoke up our collective you know what — his “Smoke In Da Eye” team intends to school the competition" :blah::blah::blah::blah:

ohhhhhhhh seriously?............. pfffttttt.. smack talkin! :puke:

Frank Sacco
04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Nice article about the contest on SILive.com today. http://www.silive.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2012/04/the_hunger_games_on_staten_isl.html

I really hope you win this comp... Bring the wonder twins... bring BoBo... bring all who can lend a hand... I just hope you win! Ya know as a farewell :becky:

Frank Sacco
04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
"And Cantwell isn’t just blowing smoke up our collective you know what — his “Smoke In Da Eye” team intends to school the competition" :blah::blah:

Clint's going to fly into the comp wearing his superhero cape, a mask and skin tight leotard. Only to be taken out by kid Hart and the mighty Jambo!

SmokeInDaEye
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
"And Cantwell isn’t just blowing smoke up our collective you know what — his “Smoke In Da Eye” team intends to school the competition" :blah::blah::blah::blah:

ohhhhhhhh seriously?............. pfffttttt.. smack talkin! :puke:

Yawnnnn......

BBQchef33
04-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Old Richmond Historic District(AP) Update: Latest reports confirmed Smokeindaeye BBQ Fears the Pig so bad it brought on a Hart Attack. Mr. Eye was given CPR by R2BQ and driven home by Mr Bobo who was sporting Morning Wood and a Blazing Butt.

:drama::butt:

Yakfishingfool
04-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Bring a boat Gentle people. Current weather by roker on Today is a potential 3-7 inches of rain:pray::shocked:

timzcardz
04-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Bring a boat Gentle people. Current weather by roker on Today is a potential 3-7 inches of rain:pray::shocked:

Good Luck to everyone competing.

I feel for you guys, but right now that rain is needed badly.

boogiesnap
04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
holy crap 7 inches!!! be careful out there freinds. best of luck to everyone!

SmokeInDaEye
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Old Richmond Historic District(AP) Update: Latest reports confirmed Smokeindaeye BBQ Fears the Pig so bad it brought on a Hart Attack. Mr. Eye was given CPR by R2BQ and driven home by Mr Bobo who was sporting Morning Wood and a Blazing Butt.

:drama::butt:

Shouldn't you be at the gym doing squat thrusts with a bunch of sweaty men? Tell Scott to bring a rainsuit so his Daisy Duke's don't get wet.

speedrcer1
04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Anyone know if we are on grass or asphalt?
need to know how high my mucklucks have to be.

SmokeInDaEye
04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
My understanding is that some teams will be on grass and some will be on pavement. Prepare for mud either way.

Westexbbq
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Hope all y'all have fun and keep your powder dry.
Good luck.

statenislandliz
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,

Orly at Historic Richmondtown here. We're looking at the forecast for this weekend which is calling for rain Saturday night and we want to make sure that you are all kept dry overnight. We would like to accommodate you because of the rain -- and will now allow you to keep a vehicle near your space, but need you to move it off the site by 7:30am on Sunday. Some of our spaces are in grassy areas, and some are on asphalt - please be mindful of ruts, etc if you are on the grass.

The staging area will be open at 2 pm. I will be on site all day, and am looking forward to meeting you all. We will make sure that everyone has what they need. If you have any specific questions - please post them here or call me.

eggzlot
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Orly,

Thanks for allowing us to keep 1 car on site, will be helpful!

just a quick question, the letter we received and your note aboves mentions the staging area opens at 2pm, but meat inspection is not until 6:30, and we cannot access our competition area until after meat inspection, correct? Is there any benefit for us getting to the staging area at 2pm? Just trying to plan out our day and arrival time accordingly. If meat could get inspected early at 2pm we could start working on prep work, but if meat is not being checked til 6:30, just wondering if there is any reason or advantage to getting there at 2pm (other than to watch the Chili cook off!)

Thanks in advance.

Sledneck
04-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Will the self proclaimed king of all bbq media be wearing his spice fairy wings for his last appearance??

boogiesnap
04-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Will the self proclaimed king of all bbq media be wearing his spice fairy wings for his last appearance??

certainly. he must to be able to sail down from the heavens and cook with you folk.

pigmaker23
04-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I am a woody sportsman....

QUOTE=BBQchef33;2022379]Old Richmond Historic District(AP) Update: Latest reports confirmed Smokeindaeye BBQ Fears the Pig so bad it brought on a Hart Attack. Mr. Eye was given CPR by R2BQ and driven home by Mr Bobo who was sporting Morning Wood and a Blazing Butt.

:drama::butt:[/QUOTE]

Sledneck
04-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Cooked the ICS chili today. and yes I actually made the chili from scratch. it was the first red chili Ive ever
made .I got 2nd place. I was tied for first but lost the tie breaker. big thanks to red lion spicy foods for making such a great pri http://www.betterthanhot.com/products.htm

JimmyDAL
04-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Great Job Steve!

boogiesnap
04-22-2012, 08:41 AM
damn dude! nice going!

good luck today everyone!

Sledneck
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Gc hart attack
Rgc meat at slims

boogiesnap
04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
clear your PM box fella.

congrats chris and stephen and all who heard their name!