PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique my boxes.

txschutte
03-17-2012, 01:16 PM
First Comp practice with the new team. I was really disappointed in my brisket.:tsk:

Chicken could have been better, too.

big brother smoke
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Chicken will score better more uniformed, work on sauce eveness and uniform color 7; Ribs are not even, but look tasty 8; Pork needs a glaze/sauce to give more "popitude" 7; Brisket we all know is not your specialty, where is Wyatt?:twisted: Work on your slices add aus jus to said slices for more "popitude."

Parsley needs some work, although we are not to judge, it does give you a wandering eye whilst viewing the meat.

Good start :clap:
Love ya, brother!

rcorun
03-17-2012, 02:40 PM
7-8-8-7
ditto big brother comments (popitude?)

Coz
03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
POPITUDE ! A friend has a sign in his trailer "Never Give Up On The Box" And I think I had that on my mind when I kept messin with one of our boxes that ended up being a 1st place box and a GC on a season that wasnt so good.Steph just gave me the sign that will be below the first in my trailer. That being said

chicken 6 while we dont judge garnish it distracts me from the chix. The Chix itself just doessnt grab me .
Ribs Maybe its just the pic but they dont look like they are in order as they were in the rack 7
Pork It just doesnt appeal to me the pic makes it look dry . A light saucing would do wonders I think. Again the garnish distracts from the meat 6

Brisket the slices look to be just thrown in and not even in length and again may be just the pic but they look dry . 6

Now I know I get madderen hell at 6,s no matter what for but I know that pics sometimes just dont represent . But to me none of these boxes had POPITUDE for me. I have judged and compete so I think I am not far off.

big brother smoke
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Popitude= 1. a little something extra that makes the box/meat standout and say come and get me. 2. The meat has some pop and attitude :-P

bbq.tom
03-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree with 7-8-8-7.
Chicken pieces need to be more similar, sauce is uneven and gloppy, and the color isn't consistent on any two pieces.
Ribs aren't too bad, but not excellent. Cuts aren't even and the sauce could be spread more evenly.
Pork looks pretty good, but it is all the same - a box full of one type of meat. Looks fairly moist, but could use a little shine on the meat.
Brisket bark looks real ragged and the slices are too dissimilar. Burnt ends would look a whole lot better lined up with the bark all on the top.

Just my $0.02

txschutte
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Chicken will score better more uniformed, work on sauce eveness and uniform color 7; Ribs are not even, but look tasty 8; Pork needs a glaze/sauce to give more "popitude" 7; Brisket we all know is not your specialty, where is Wyatt?:twisted: Work on your slices add aus jus to said slices for more "popitude."

Parsley needs some work, although we are not to judge, it does give you a wandering eye whilst viewing the meat.

Good start :clap:
Love ya, brother!

Thanks, Steph. I knew while making the chicken box that it wasn't outstanding. I did feel the ribs were the best of the four meats, but I think I'll cut down on the sauce next time. And, yes, we also thought (after we boxed the pork:crazy:) that we should have glazed or sauced for a bit of "wow".

The brisket was a trainwreck from get-go. I missed the 160* foil. It was too overcooked to get a decent slice.

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Lake Dogs
03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
7 8 9 7

I dont mind the full box of 1 type of meat (Pork). It looks good (to me). Otherwise I agree down the line with what was said above.

Slamdunkpro
03-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Chicken - 6 Sauce looks really thick and heavy, big gaps in coverage, uneven color.
Ribs - 8 even out the sauce a little and you have a 9
Pork - 7 looks a little on the dry side
Brisket - 7 orient the burnt ends all the same way, fill the box

Pitmaster T
03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I think they all deserve a 9 if you take that green **** off the platter. I think you'd score 8s even if each piece already had a bite taken out of it.

Seriously... 8 7 7 6

Ron_L
03-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Chicken - 7 or 8 - I don't mind the small lack of uniformity since they look like chicken. The difference in color and uneven sauce hit me more.

Ribs - 7 - Looks like too much sauce or sloppy and as Coz said they look out of order. Having then in rack order isn't mandatory, but it always looks better.

Pork - 7 - I like the amount of meat and bark, but it looks dry.

Brisket - 7 - for all of the reasons that Coz pointed out.

For all of the boxes the garnish is distracting. Neater edges, cover the lettuce base and try to use the garnish to lift up the meat to make it stand out (give it popitude?) :-P

Slamdunkpro
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Did you Hollywood cut those ribs?

txschutte
03-17-2012, 07:48 PM
No hollywood cut. Just really meaty racks.

Coz
03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Something I noticed as I was readin the other critiques I see that the parsley looks pretty wilted ? Usually I dont like to post my boxes but heres one of our rib boxes that scored well.

Bentley
03-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Jacked UP BBQ
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
7/8/6/6
The pork looks pale and dry, the brisket looks dry. I like the chicken and ribs

Harbormaster
03-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Taking a 5 second glance at all of your pics Shane I went 7-7-7-6.

Tighten up the ribs a little, try to get 4 out of the same rack if you didn't. Brisket just looked really uneven. Pork for whatever reason looked washed out, blah.

Tack
03-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I pretty much agree with Ron 7's across the board.