PDA

View Full Version : WSM for Comps

K-Train
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Just ordered my first WSM. I got the big boy, 22.5. Any advice on mods? I've read that a good number of people don't put water in the pan, just foil. I did order a Cajun Bandit door for it. Anything else? Thanks
Keith

Stoke&Smoke
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
might want to look for some grommets for temp probes. BBQ guru sells them, and I think Cajun' Bandit sells some a bit larger that are supposed to accomodate the maverick ET732 probes

Parts_Guy
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
We have 2-22's and 1-18 and we use water when we cook.

tnjimbob
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Grommets for temp probes and maybe a Cajun bandit SS door because they tend to fit better than the stock door. I don't use water in the pan.

tdwalker
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Keith,

The Virtual Weber Bullet webpage has a page on mods.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

I have 18.5 and a 22. I've got cajun bandit doors on order for both, though I don't think that I'll need it on the 18.5. I've got grommets on the 18.5 and have grommets on order for the 22.

I think the one mod that I am thinking about next is adding handles to center section to make the "hot squat" a bit easier.

JerryA
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I put wheels on my 22". Makes moving that thing around a lot easier.

dreed
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
We use the BBQ Guru, it is a great addition to an already solid performing smoker.

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
pitmaster IQ110 runs great on ours. I bought a gasket kit the other day from ebay, not installed yet but will seal up air leaks, which aren't many. I always use water in mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-high-temp-Nomex-seal-mod-smoker-bbq-18-5-22-5-WSM-/170768327955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c295e513

NS Mike D
03-16-2012, 07:44 AM
the guru and the ique both work very well with the wsm. If you get the maverick, the Ique will get the job done (the guru comes with the food probe).

If you get the grommets, get the larger ones since the 1/4" are too small for the new maverick probes.

I went with sand and have second thoughts becuase of the additional weight. I am looking for a clay pot, r if I can chisle the sand out go dry. Water is fine, but I like to leave my cooker alone and not have to worry about the water pan running dry and spiking the temp.

Pick up the weber 18 charcoal grate. Lay the 18 charcoal grate so that the grates are 90 degrees for each other. This limits small hard wood charcoal pieces from droping through.

NS Mike D
03-16-2012, 07:46 AM
We have 2-22's and 1-18 and we use water when we cook.

Mind if I asked you how you divide you meats on that combination for competition? We just added the 18 to our two 22s

(sorry for the highjack)

Parts_Guy
03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Mind if I asked you how you divide you meats on that combination for competition? We just added the 18 to our two 22s

(sorry for the highjack)

Well...this will be the 1st year with the 2nd 22. Last year we just had an 18 and a 22. We cooked chicken on the top rack of the 18 and the ribs on bottom. Brisket was on top of the 22 and pork butts on bottom. I think this year, we will cook our chicken on the 18. Brisket on a 22 and pork/ribs on the other. We still have to figure that out exactly but that is what I was thinking so far.

NS Mike D
03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Well...this will be the 1st year with the 2nd 22. Last year we just had an 18 and a 22. We cooked chicken on the top rack of the 18 and the ribs on bottom. Brisket was on top of the 22 and pork butts on bottom. I think this year, we will cook our chicken on the 18. Brisket on a 22 and pork/ribs on the other. We still have to figure that out exactly but that is what I was thinking so far.

I found this in the wsm thread a few pages back

2-22s and 1-18

Pork butts get the 18; ribs get a 22, brisky gets the other 22; the chicken gets the 22 once the brisky is done. This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.

Stoke&Smoke
03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
We compete with 1 22 and 1 18, plus an 18 kettle. Brisket and chicken are done in the 22, butts and ribs in the 18. If I had room for another 22, 2 of them would be plenty! The only thing we cook overnight is butts though, and since we do those in the 18 it saves a little on fuel

HarleyGirl14226
03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
We use our 22's for chicken and ribs. We run Guru's on both, and we use water in the pan. Looking to get the grommets this Spring.

lbmksu
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
We do everything on the 18"ers. Friends have the 22, but tend to forget that they get control differently. This is a solid cooking unit even without the mods. My suggestion is to pick what you want and stick with it, even if you use it straight out of the box.

Cast Iron Chef
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I just added the Cajun door, extra grate, and grommets. Good to go. Maybe an Ique someday.

BC Squared
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
What ate these grommets everyone is talking about??

We go no water, and ique110s driving all of them !

JD McGee
03-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Just ordered my first WSM. I got the big boy, 22.5. Any advice on mods? I've read that a good number of people don't put water in the pan, just foil. I did order a Cajun Bandit door for it. Anything else? Thanks
Keith

Nope...she's ready to roll right outta da box. I recommend washing the cooking grates with hot soapy water to remove any mfg oils and checking the accuracy of the dome thermometer. I use water in my pan for smokes under 250 degrees...other than that I leave it dry (foiled for easy clean up). Have fun! :thumb:

K-Train
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
You guys using lump or briquets? I'm thinking lump is a no go. Just curious as I have an egg and use only lump for that. Thanks

Parts_Guy
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
You guys using lump or briquets? I'm thinking lump is a no go. Just curious as I have an egg and use only lump for that. Thanks

We use only lump in ours.

Anchors Smokeshop
03-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I run a stoker on my 2 18.5" WSM's and ordered the grommets when I bought the stoker.
I originally added casters to one of them but took them off because they didn't roll for some reason. I also use hot water in the smokers when I cook.

INmitch
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
We use only lump in ours.
I just put together a 22.5. I actually read the book:icon_blush: (I know take my man card.) It says DO NOT use lump. ??????

Anchors Smokeshop
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't use lump. I find that it burns too hot and it's difficult to maintain temps with or without the stoker. I sware by Stubbs charcoal. I start my pit using the minion method and never have to adjust the dampers. Those bad boys run at 225 like magic.

Parts_Guy
03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I just put together a 22.5. I actually read the book:icon_blush: (I know take my man card.) It says DO NOT use lump. ??????

Good thing I didn't read the book...lol. We were using briquets but I wanted to try the lump and we have been using that ever since. It does burn hotter and is harder to control but I love the flavor of lump. We ended up using only lump and do not add any other wood or chips to it.

Cast Iron Chef
03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
What ate these grommets everyone is talking about??

We go no water, and ique110s driving all of them !

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Eyelet-Assembly-for-WSM-%282-per-pack%29.html

NS Mike D
03-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I used lump (Royal Oak) all winter with a digi IQ on the 22 (sand) and had great results. The temp pinned nicely for hours and used a fraction of the fuel.

I am breaking in the 18 with two racks of spares using water, KB and no fans (just the vents). Ran it too cold at first (gotta get used to the smaller air vents and less fuel) but the maverick is saying I've been at 246 for the past hour.

I use a second charcoal grate on the 22 to keep the small pieces of lump from falling through. I suppose I should do that for the 18 when I try lump.

Parts guy, I've been cooking without or with very little wood lately with the lump. Nice to see someone else doing that as well.

Parts_Guy
03-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Same here Mike. Glad I am not the only one either going with just lump. You can get a nice smoke flavor and smoke ring with just the lump.

chrisjen
04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Does changing the door to the stainless help I have a digiq 2 but I think it would work better if I can tighten up little leaks,this is probably a stupid question,has anyone tried making a seal for top lid?

K-Train
04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
The door make a much better seal. I got gaskets of e-bay and they really sealed it up. (search e-bay weber smokey mountain and the gaskets should come up)

WineMaster
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Lots of people using the Cajun Bandits Stainless door for the WSM. Do many use the aftermarket high airflow charcoal ring that they offer. What are your thoughts on them.

chrisjen
04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I had seen a post on the WSM appreciation thread about a smaller ring out of expanded metal and wondered if you could make the same thing out of expanded metal the same diameter as the stock ring only taller,I put a second charcoal grate off a 22" kettle on the bottom of mine and it helps when using lump thanks to one of the mod posts,the gaskets on Ebay are for the lid?

K-Train
04-14-2012, 08:29 PM
The gaskets go around the lid and around the opening to the door. I had some issues getting the lid to sit right when I first put the gaskets in, had to do it twice. The seal around the door was instant. I don't have the cajun bandit charcoal ring, but I have given thought to ordering one.

chrisjen
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
thats good to know I ordered the gasket set on ebay tonite and am trying to talk myself into buying the cajun bandit rotisserie package and the ribulator but those 2 things will be almost what I payed for the pit

Pigs on Fire
04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
After trying out a myriad of methods on both the 18" and 22" WSM, I have gone back to using water. I have tried the HD foil over the empty pan, clay saucer in the 18" water pan and water.

For pretty much trouble-free cooking at 250F without a controller, I have found that there is no easier way to control the temp other than to use water in the pan.

I like to have the charcoal ring built with a few chunks of smoke wood in a circle and I dump what was a full Weber chimney of roaring-hot lump on top. This ends up looking like an over-piled bowl (with only a few pieces of charcoal outside the ring).

I put the center section on, with the water pan 3/4 full of hot water if available, 1/2 full if cold is all your have, put the meat on and put the lid on. I keep all the vents 100% open until it hits 200F, which can take 30-45 minutes to an hour. With a full pan of cold water, (2) 9 lb butts and 1/2 chimney on an 18", I have seen it take 2 full hours to hit 250F, but everything worked out fine. We were the last team called in pork.

I find that once you have some experience with how you want the temps to climb and how long you want to sleep, you can add some hot water after an hour or two and once up to temp with a full pan of hot water and vents shut to 50% or so with decent weather, you can let it roll along for 8 hours at a minimum and the temp will hover at 250F.

At least in my experience.

The WSMs are great cookers if you like to tinker just a little and have a little pyro in you.

K-Train
04-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I also think a ribolator is in my future.

K-Train
04-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Chrisjen, one other thing go to your local Ace hardware or another store and buy a tube of 500 degree silicone wood stove sealant. The gaskets come with cement, the silicone is much better.

tyotrain
04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I have 1 18 and 1 22 i love them both and both cook well.. i don't use water in pan i use lava rock and it works really well..

BBQ UP

K-Train
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
I actually placed a clay saucer (from a big a$$ flower pot) in the water pan. Kinda like the plate setter in an egg. Have never tried cooking with water.

TheJackal
04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I also think a ribolator is in my future.

I have a brand new, never used ribolator if you are serious. I switched my cooker before I ever got a chance to try it. LOL.

K-Train
04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
^^^interesting. How much?

cbudka
04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
I have to door and the ring from CB. I cant really tell a diff with the ring.... The door is a good addition. It doesn't ball up like aluminum foil as the stock one does.....