PDA

View Full Version : Butts In A Pan

djqualls
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Hello,
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to cooking your comp butts in a disposable pan? I would think that there would be plenty of room for smoke to get around the meat.

I also would put a rack in the pan to keep it out of the juice, and leave it in the pan and just foil it in the pan for final stage.

I'm cooking in an FEC100. I'm curious for two reasons;

1 It would seem to keep the juices from running on meats placed below.
(not that it would be a bad thing in some cases)

2. It would make it faster and easier to foil and reduce the time out of cooker.

Thanks For your help!

big brother smoke
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
This is the only way I roll. It works, try it!

The_Kapn
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
This is the only way I roll. It works, try it!

Me too.
Also do briskets the same way.

TIM

tnjimbob
03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Me three.

Disposable pans work great, especially for butts. I use them for chicken when saucing. Less mess to clean up.

Mister Bob
03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Me four!

southernstyle
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Me five. Everything but ribs. Start to finish

Lake Dogs
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I had been doing mine in/on deep cookie sheets/pans; I've since changed over to the disposable pans. Ease of clean-up...

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Pans for chicken, wrap brisket and butts.

lbmksu
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Are we talking dry smokers? I question this because I was wondering what the main purpose was. Is it truly to maintain the moisture? Butts can cook off some serious fat. I hope this question doesn't seem too amateurish, since those that have responded seem very sure that pans are the way to go.

Plus...I truly enjoy how my WSM cooks.

Jaskew82
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Are we talking dry smokers? I question this because I was wondering what the main purpose was. Is it truly to maintain the moisture? Butts can cook off some serious fat. I hope this question doesn't seem too amateurish, since those that have responded seem very sure that pans are the way to go.

If you "truly enjoy how your WSM cooks" stick with it. No reason to change if you are happy with the results. For me, the disposable pans just make clean up so darned easy that its worth it. The result is a slightly less dense bark than if you didn't foil. If you foil, I find it to be virtually the same.

Nordy
03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Aside from cleanup, and possibly smoke exposure, the only difference I can see in "panning" and "foiling." are that there is less air around the meat when foiled than when in a pan covered with foil. Does that make a difference? Does it create more steam etc than in foil? Who knows. Cook one each way side by side and then compare...

By the way... be sure and try this experiment in a couple of weeks at Sams MWC!!!

Nordy

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-15-2012, 05:22 PM

If you cook your meat in a pan it can't drip grease on the meats on the lower racks and possibly mess up the appearance of your bark.

EMTTLC
03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I use disposable pans for butts and briskets, and also use an FEC 100. I have 10" long pieces of 3/4" square tubing that i place at the back of the pans to tilt them forward slightly. Multiple reasons for going this route, Ease of clean up, I periodically baste my meats in their own juices and the juices stay in the pan adding moisture. I tried using racks in the pans and found no advantage.

djqualls
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks Everyone for your input. I was wondering if I was being lazy. I couldn't see enough downside to pan cooking. Nordy........Bring It!:-P

Smokenstein & monster crew
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Its in myrons book, he's been doing that for years. Thats were i picked it up from (maybe many others). I dont do it for the clean up part. I am going to clean no matter what happens. Sometimes no pans too

jestridge
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I use those large pan they hold 3 butts only thing I don't cook in pan are ribs and fatties

alane
03-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Does cooking in an open pan like this reduce the amount of stall at all?

BillywannaQ
03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I use them for all my butts. I put about six or seven hours of smoke on them, then put them in a foil pan and cover with foil. When they're ready for pulling, I use a fat separator to separate the juice from the fat. I pour all that delicious juice back into the shredded pork. Yum!

Golden Toad BBQ
03-16-2012, 07:54 AM
I've done all... Still experimenting with Briskets on sheet pans...

Toad

lbmksu
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll put some thought into it. Seems like the method you speak about revises all my BBQ theory. Always learning though...

BC Squared
03-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Pans for us too...

SCSmoke
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
We tried pans on the 18.5 WSM and found that the pan was to close to the edges. It was picking up some of the direct heat rising around the water pan. This caused a temp increase in the pan, so we wrap. Would definitely try pans in a different cooker to see if they work for us. I love easy clean up.