PDA

View Full Version : What size butts and brisket to use?

MAP
03-15-2012, 06:28 AM
New to the comp thing our first one is on May 5th in Fredericksburg, Va. I was woundering what size butts and brisket do most of you cook so I can get my times nailed down.

Thanks
Mike

roksmith
03-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Some folks like bigger, but I'm looking for uniformity and marbling on a brisket and the freshness of the butts. Although a nice money muscle doesn't hurt.

southernstyle
03-15-2012, 06:50 AM
I typically cook 8-9 lb butts and after trimming they are about a lb less. I usually start out with a 15-18 lb brisket and after trimming to fit the turnin box and removeing unnessary fat it losses about 3-d lbs.

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-15-2012, 06:52 AM
I look for 7 - 8 pound butts & packer briskets in the 12 to 13 lb range. I've done smaller and bigger it depends on what's available and what looks good. What's important though is what size you have access too, how musch space you have on your cooker (Are you going to cook two of each?) and what your most comfortable with.

Good luck in Fredericksburg!

Tom

MAP
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I look for 7 - 8 pound butts & packer briskets in the 12 to 13 lb range. I've done smaller and bigger it depends on what's available and what looks good. What's important though is what size you have access too, how musch space you have on your cooker (Are you going to cook two of each?) and what your most comfortable with.

Good luck in Fredericksburg!

Tom
Thanks, are you going to be at that comp?
I plan on doing 3-4 butts and 2 briskets. I have a meat sponsor that cuts me a great deal and I have the space on the cooker so I figure I will start with that amount for the first one and reduce or add in the future if need be. I just want to say that this site has helped me out a ton on getting my passion off the ground to a comp team!!!!! :clap:

Slamdunkpro
03-15-2012, 07:23 AM
I look for 8-10 lb butts and 16-20 lb briskets. Flat thickness is more important than weight when I'm looking for briskets.

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks, are you going to be at that comp?
I plan on doing 3-4 butts and 2 briskets. I have a meat sponsor that cuts me a great deal and I have the space on the cooker so I figure I will start with that amount for the first one and reduce or add in the future if need be. I just want to say that this site has helped me out a ton on getting my passion off the ground to a comp team!!!!! :clap:

Sounds like a plan! Just be sure to have fun.

We won't be there - couldn't fit it in the schedual.

Tom

brownsugar
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
usually 8lb

lbmksu
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I agree...8 lb butts, and 15+ lb briskets, trimmed yourself. Note that time is important as a guide, but temperature is the guage of choice. They dont always align the same. Plan for irregularities

JD McGee
03-16-2012, 01:10 PM
We cook 6-8 lb butts and 12-14 lb briskets...good luck! Better yet...have fun!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I look for 8-10 lb butts and 16-20 lb briskets. Flat thickness is more important than weight when I'm looking for briskets.

Ditto.