PDA

View Full Version : I think I know the answer to this one, but...

Brian in Maine
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Has anyone ever eaten at Dickie's BBQ Pit? There is one opening up in my town. I went to there web site, and it says that all of their meats are smoked over hickory. Is there a chance that it will be better than Famous Dave's?

CarolinaQue
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Where is this BBQ place you speak of???

energyzer
03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I heard that advertised on the radio just last night for one in Lincoln, Nebraska. Never been there. Must be a nationwide chain?

Bbq Bubba
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Worst BBQ chain ever. End of thread.

nucornhusker
03-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I went there to see what kind of a train wreck it would be. When they pulled the ribs out to serve them, and they were in a sealed plastic bag, I almost walked out.

Contracted Cookers
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
worst bbq chain ever. End of thread.
think there might be a tie for that

superdan
03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Went once. Won't go back. Meat tasted boiled.

nthole
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
The one down the street from me has a big old hickory pit chugging away all the time. The guy is super friendly, runs a tight clean ship and has family entertainment on a number of nights. The Q is good and the kids like going. So it may be dependent on the owner. It may not be all high falutin' competition or as great as a Brethren can make it, but for my money, he does a good job.

Utah Jake
03-13-2012, 11:35 PM
They are popping up all over now. They run gas fired Southern Prides but I don't think they are really interested in good BBQ, just money. 99% of the people that eat there only know Famous Daves, not really exposed to real Q.

Brian in Maine
03-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Where is this BBQ place you speak of???

In the food court at the Maine Mall. I saw an add on CL a couple of weeks ago looking for hickory logs for a new BBQ restaurant in South Portland. I figured if they were cooking with hickory, they might know what they are doing.

Groundhog66
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Here is the Yelp review I did a while back...

I am a HUGE BBQ fan, I love to BBQ and smoke meats at home. My wife and I were really excited to try this place out, only to end up deeply disappointed. I stopped by and picked up a Family Meal, in which I chose ribs, sliced brisket, mac & cheese, waffle fries, fried okra and biscuits.......The ribs were not very good at all, the bones were actually broken in half and the meat was pretty mushy with a funky flavor. The brisket was sliced so thin, it had absolutely NO chance to retain the little bit of moisture it MAY have had to begin with. The mac & cheese had a very mushy consistency, and pretty much no flavor at all. The waffle fries and fried okra were okay, but it is very difficult to screw up something like that. The highlight was the biscuits, although not extraordinary or homemade, they were the best part of the meal. To sum it all up, I ended up throwing away what was left over (which was quite a bit). And needless to say, we will not be returning to give them a second chance.

lcbateman3
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I've ate a couple of different ones.

The closest one to me isn't half bad. True, its not what we can make at home, but for when you are jonseing for some Q it does pretty good. The other one I ate at was horrible. So your mileage may vary.

Brian in Maine
03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I guess that I will have to check it out, and see if this one is any good. Thanks for the replies!