PDA

View Full Version : New to this Sam's thing.....

jbrink01
03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
We are headed to Dallas to cook next weekend, and I'm a Sam's contest virgin. I'm not planning to do anything different than my usual cooking-wise. Any helpful hints otherwise? Looks like Shake & Bake and I will be rolling in about noon Friday.

rip
03-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Treat it like any other cook. Cook to WIN!

jbrink01
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Will do Jeff!! It seemed to work for you!
May take my small generator. Just in case.

Ron_L
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
If it's at all like last year plan on walking a fair distance for water. You may want to fill your fresh water tank before you get there. Also, power was 20A, so AC is problematic. If it's going to be hot you may want a generator to run the AC.

Munchee
03-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I have cooked a Sam's contest both last year and this last week in Ocala Fl. Here is what I would tell you. Bring your own water, all that you feel will be needed for the whole weekend. Bring a generator that is checked and working, I used mine for hours last year in Marrietta Ga and this year it was handy to have before they got their unit working.
The one great thing is if you forget something at least the walk is not far !!

Rich Parker
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Make sure to get some of the good deserts in the store for breakfast.

jbrink01
03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Shake and Bake has a toyhauler that we are "sharing". I'm taking an EZ-UP, tables, etc and cooking "next door". We will fill with water when we get close. Thanks!

BTW - It's been years since I've cooked under an EZ up.

ibrisky
03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
What Jeff said (great to meet you by the way, Jeff, you're more than welcome to park my trailer in St Louis)

A generator wouldn't be a bad idea if you are electric dependent. There were hiccups this weekend.

Rookie'48
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
BTW - It's been years since I've cooked under an EZ up.

Then this will be good practice for P. Hill, right? :rolleyes: :becky:

ps - I'll see ya in Westworth Village>

Smoke'n Ice
03-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Weather forecast for Friday/Saturday is high 70's day and low 60's at night, probably won't need the AC. Scattered thunderstorms in the area Friday and Saturday with a 20% chance. Depending on where they develope, we may not get any rain. Will update as we get nearer.

Because of traffic patterns in the DFW area, it might make sense to go South on 35W to 30 and then west to get there. I know coming from Plano, I will be using the South Route.

See Ya'll there and should be there sometime Friday AM.

Mack

nthole
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
It would be pretty funny if Tim locked you out in the middle of the night...

:grin:

Good luck to ya both. Sounds like a blast.

Shake'nBake
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Hahaha. My plan was to leave him at a truck stop on the way down. :icon_smile_tongue::razz:

jbrink01
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Hahaha. My plan was to leave him at a truck stop on the way down. :icon_smile_tongue::razz:

I'd probably make more money "working" the truck stop then I will cooking.....:icon_blush:

Ron_L
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I'd probably make more money "working" the truck stop then I will cooking.....:icon_blush:

TMI, Jeff... TMI! :shocked:

:becky:

Ford
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Power does not come on until noon so if you want power early, bring a generator. Get there at 7:30 and grab a coffee so you are ready at8 when Troy starts setting folks up. Break down as soon as cooking is done. You can leave the trailer in the parking lot but you will have to move it to an outside corner. You can also park the trailer Thursday night.

Texans don't like sauce on brisket!

sitnfat
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
"Texans don't like sauce on brisket!" Neither do Tennesseans:-D

RangerJ
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I had no issues with power last year but I'm an EZ UP guy who needs just enough for a string of lights, tunes and electric knife.

I Did have to use a Sam's basket to haul water from the backside of the store.

Depending on how its set up, you don't want to be on the outside closest to the parking area where everyone walking to Sams on Saturday seems to show up during turn in time to find out what in tarnation is going on and if they can have a taste...

I'll be arriving Friday AM as well, looking forward to meeting some of you folks from, well, "up North".

chromesporty
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM

The 2nd place brisket at last year's Sam's in Austin was sauced! I'm pretty sure the 1st place brisket was as well. I'm just sayin'!

RangerJ
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Larry...

Could've just let them run with the whole "don't like sauce idea", just sayin'...

Smoke'n Ice
03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
:shocked:Damnit Larry, edit your post and remove that offending picture and comment about sauce.:mmph:

RangerJ
03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
On another note...

Anyone in the Dallas AO have a spare EZ Up and fire extinguisher?

IAB 30 is flying in and we've got most of their equipment covered except for those items.

Jorge
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
On another note...

Anyone in the Dallas AO have a spare EZ Up and fire extinguisher?

IAB 30 is flying in and we've got most of their equipment covered except for those items.

Did you get my follow up text? I was mistaken, I still have that EZ Up you borrowed for Bedford a couple of years ago. I can have Andy bring it out with him Friday morning.

Smoke'n Ice
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I have one with sides and a fire ext. Let me know if you need and also anything else. I have 5 wsm's i don't use and other items.

Mack

RangerJ
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Did you get my follow up text? I was mistaken, I still have that EZ Up you borrowed for Bedford a couple of years ago. I can have Andy bring it out with him Friday morning.

I received no Texts for the last few days for some reason, good when the wife is trying to get me to do something, not so good when I'm trying to co-ordinate travel plans for a cook off.

Will get everyone replies in the morning. Not sure if they want / need sides.

SnI, the fire extinguisher for sure, just in case.

More to Follow...

Jorge
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I received no Texts for the last few days for some reason, good when the wife is trying to get me to do something, not so good when I'm trying to co-ordinate travel plans for a cook off.

Will get everyone replies in the morning. Not sure if they want / need sides.

SnI, the fire extinguisher for sure, just in case.

More to Follow...

Take Mack's offer of both, if he doesn't mind. I don't have sides for the one I have available and we've got a 30% chance of rain for both days.

Edit: How many PAX Friday night?

Smoke'n Ice
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
They'll be there if needed.
Mack

mremus
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
One thing I learned from last year is to try and stay away from the cart corrals. At Madison we placed next to the cart corrals that had the porta-johns. At first that didn't seem to bad until the quiet hours when all you heard was the constant slamming of the doors. Then at Indy we decided to get there at 8am on Friday to stay away from the porta-johns only to be placed next to an empty cart corral that a couple of hours later hosted the generator. There was no need for us to bring a radio since all we could hear until we left Saturday night was the loud hum of the generator.

RangerJ
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
They'll be there if needed.
Mack

@ Jorge - EZ Up message received. At current no more than 4 PAX, unless SPC. Lanier shows up and he is invited, will get you a head count.

Break...

@ Mack - will let IAB 30 know that EZ and fire extinguisher are on site, Thanks!

Jurena..out.

Dustaway
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM

Ford your wrong gc'd Fort Worth last year with sauce on :thumb:

Coz
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
One thing I learned from last year is to try and stay away from the cart corrals. At Madison we placed next to the cart corrals that had the porta-johns. At first that didn't seem to bad until the quiet hours when all you heard was the constant slamming of the doors. Then at Indy we decided to get there at 8am on Friday to stay away from the porta-johns only to be placed next to an empty cart corral that a couple of hours later hosted the generator. There was no need for us to bring a radio since all we could hear until we left Saturday night was the loud hum of the generator.

Also found out that Cates likes to put the ash barrels in the cart corral at least at Indy.Not even an I am sorry I burnt the paint on your truck .:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:: mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

The_Kapn
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
@ Jorge - EZ Up message received. At current no more than 4 PAX, unless SPC. Lanier shows up and he is invited, will get you a head count.

Break...

@ Mack - will let IAB 30 know that EZ and fire extinguisher are on site, Thanks!

Jurena..out.

I just love it when you guys talk the language. :-D

Good luck to all at the Sam's events.

TIM

Contracted Cookers
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Good luck yuzz guys . Jeff i do believe you could make some money at a truck stop. Tim really doubtful just saying

El Pistolero
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Break...

Jurena..out.

I just love it when you guys talk the language.

Is there a Rosetta Stone for this? :confused:

Smoke'n Ice
03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, $29.95 plus shipping and handeling. It is a 45 DVD set and also includes a few recipes.

Captain Caveman
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
See you guys there. We hope to be pulling in around 9am.

iampaulb
03-14-2012, 02:03 AM
I judged the Sams Club FTW contest last year...

Definitely bring water...
I know the hand washing stations ran out early Sat Morning. This was only the start of the drought..

Definitely bring AC...
It was hot last year, and although I am not a native Texan, the one thing I know about the weather is, it TX weather is bound to change, quickly!

Definitely bring power...
I heard cooks talking about the power issues for their setups.

As far as what TX judges are looking for...
Bring your best BBQ, what you like, what has worked in the past... Judges love GOOD BBQ!