PDA

View Full Version : Q for 70

snack
03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I will be cooking for my daughters wedding. Theres going to be around 70 people there she wants to have brisket, chicken, and sausage. How may briskets do you think I need I'm thinking 5 or so and on the chicken would you do leg quarters or thighs. Thanks for the help.

smokeyw
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
As far as the chickens go, you may want to cook some breasts as well. I know people that will only eat white meat. Just something to think about.

BBQ Bandit
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Will you be requesting in advance what type meal (meat/chicken/pork) per person or will this be an open buffet?

Cooking an (unknown volume) buffet may end up with overages or shotages... (if 50 people had brisket).
Are you prepared for leftovers? Will the meats be sliced or pulled/chopped?

There's three ways:
1. Ask in advance...
2. Cook for quantities of 30 people each for brisket, pork, and chicken... risking shortages.
3. Cook for quantities of 50 people each for brisket, pork, and chicken... risking leftovers.

Seeing that methodology will double (at minimum) your food quantities... and anticipated budget/food costs.

Best case scenario... ask for choice of protein in advance... and serve per person, not buffet.

Rough estimates:
Factor in 6 people served per whole roaster chicken.
Factor in 8 people served per whole pork butt.
Factor in 8-10 served on a packer brisket (depending on size and trim).

snack
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Will you be requesting in advance what type meal (meat/chicken/pork) per person or will this be an open buffet?

Cooking an (unknown volume) buffet may end up with overages or shotages... (if 50 people had brisket).
Are you prepared for leftovers? Will the meats be sliced or pulled/chopped?

There's three ways:
1. Ask in advance...
2. Cook for quantities of 30 people each for brisket, pork, and chicken... risking shortages.
3. Cook for quantities of 50 people each for brisket, pork, and chicken... risking leftovers.

Seeing that methodology will double (at minimum) your food quantities... and anticipated budget/food costs.

Best case scenario... ask for choice of protein in advance... and serve per person, not buffet.

Rough estimates:
Factor in 6 people served per whole roaster chicken.
Factor in 8 people served per whole pork butt.
Factor in 8-10 served on a packer brisket (depending on size and trim).

Sorry it will be open buffet

smokin joe's and son
03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Since it is your daughter's wedding, you don't want to be known as the father of the bride who did not cook enough. I would not try to calculate who is going to eat what type of meat before the wedding, because people will change their minds when they see the different options available.

I would do:

30 pounds (raw) brisket, about 6.5 oz pp
9 whole chickens cut into 8, or 70 pieces of chicken, 1 piece pp
20 pounds(raw) of sausage. about 4 oz pp.

I assume you will have sides, if so 4 half pans of each side. Hope this helps.