PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Red Sauce Recommendations

Jeremy Moyers
03-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good sweet red sauce for ribs and chicken that I can buy to use in comps. At this point I have enough on my plate trying to get the meat prep, cooking temps, times, etc. down and just do not have the time or experience yet to make my own sauces.

I have tried your typical grocery store "off the shelf" sauces, but have not found anything that hits me right. I absolutely hate the flavor of liquid smoke, which most of the store brand sauces seam to have, and most of them are too thick to use as a light glaze like I am looking for. They are also all pretty bland to me.

I took a comp class a few months ago where I was exposed to a really nice sweet red sauce that Lonnie Smith of Bubba Grills makes for his competitions, and was lucky enough to have him give me a jar of the sauce. Well, now I'm spoiled and just can't find anything that comes close.

So far, I have come up with a sauce using sweet baby rays cut with vinegar, mustard, garlic salt, onion salt, pepper and a few other odds and ends and have landed on something that works, but its still not what I'm looking for.

Are there any teams out there that are selling sauces that I should look into? What about Blues Hog sauces? I've heard that they are great... What about Head Country? Any others that I should look into?

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

fingerlickin'
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Try a mix of blues hog original and head country. I like that mix alot. I believe head country might have liquid smoke in it though. Don't quote me on that, i'm not looking at the bottle right now. I hear big butz makes some good sauce, you could try some of that. Worse case, you supported a bethren.

Crash
03-10-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm partial to a doctored and sweetened Head Country Original.

The_Kapn
03-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Lots of good ones.

Give Sonny's Sweet a try.

You will find one you like with time.

TIM

K-Train
03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Blues hog as a good sweet base, then you can doctor it with another sauce to your liking. Or just use the Blues Hog alone.

southernstyle
03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Bubba que has a great one. The web site currently down but if you call he will take care of it. http://bub-ba-q.com/

MoGreen
03-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Blues Hog is good, but everybody uses it. Try a store bought sauce mixed with plenty of honey to make it sweet and a little apple juice to thin it and set yourself apart from the rest.

Jeremy Moyers
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all of the advise guys. After hours of experimenting in the kitchen, I think that we have landed on our own sauce that will work out great for what we were looking for. Now to cook up some ribs and try it out.... I post a few pictures once I have the opportunity to try it out.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

Golden Toad BBQ
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
On my chicken and ribs I use 2/3 Golden Toad Chipotle BBQ Finishing Sauce & 1/3 Blues Hog Original... Simmer together for 15 minutes...

http://www.goldentoad.com/bbq.asp

I know it's a shameless plug, but we have done well with that sauce mixture on our chicken and ribs and even entered the sauce in a comp last year and took first place!

Toad

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/407740_10150494755126372_137344721371_9188397_4688 54192_n.jpg

This Is How We Que It
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all of the advise guys. After hours of experimenting in the kitchen, I think that we have landed on our own sauce that will work out great for what we were looking for. Now to cook up some ribs and try it out.... I post a few pictures once I have the opportunity to try it out.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

What did you come up with? What was your final mixture?

Muzzlebrake
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there something sweeter and redder than Blues Hog?

swamprb
03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Is there something sweeter and redder than Blues Hog?

Butcher BBQ Sweet BBQ Sauce works for me.