PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water @ Harpoon

BoneDaddy's
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
So we vend every year at Harpoon and usually rent a camper. This year we may just tent it, but the camper provided us with a hot water source that was ok with the health inspector. What do people do without campers to satisfy the running hot water regulation?

Frank

Tone
03-04-2012, 01:04 PM
we haven't vended at harpoon however we use a coleman on demand for hot water. it might be a solution for you.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000007107#.T1O8RZhmmlI

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
What do the health inspectors require for vendors there??

JimmyDAL
03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
A lot especially if you vend for 2 days.

Meat@Slim's
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
They are, ideally, looking for you to have a self contained system. Hot water into a sink which drains to a bottle to catch the gray water.

This is specifically for hand washing.

They are OK with the three bin system for dishes.

Smoke'n Ice
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Igloo cooler with a continuos valve filled with hot water into a bus tub should work.

Q Haven
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
This Cambro product is perfect for a hand washing station. Usually around 20 bucks at Restaurant Depot. Throw a bucket underneath it and put some handf soap and Purell next to it and you're good to go.

http://www.restaurantsource.com/cambro-restaurant-supply--catering-equipment/beverage-dispensers/non-insulated-beverage-dispensers/ProdDesc-DSPR6148-19884.aspx

Lakeside Smoker
03-05-2012, 04:34 AM
What do the health inspectors require for vendors there??

You coming up this year, Erin?

SHBBQ
03-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Just ask harpoon to fill the water tank they parked next to you last year with hot water. there was a storm drain below it, should take care of your gray water. :-P

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-05-2012, 07:11 AM
You coming up this year, Erin?

Yes, we are doing an East Coast tour so my frinds and family will leave us alone about cooking for them!! We'll be coming out for RI and Harpoon...and a Sox game ;)

BoneDaddy's
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
This Cambro product is perfect for a hand washing station. Usually around 20 bucks at Restaurant Depot. Throw a bucket underneath it and put some handf soap and Purell next to it and you're good to go.

http://www.restaurantsource.com/cambro-restaurant-supply--catering-equipment/beverage-dispensers/non-insulated-beverage-dispensers/ProdDesc-DSPR6148-19884.aspx

No way the health inspector would go for that!

BoneDaddy's
03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Just ask harpoon to fill the water tank they parked next to you last year with hot water. there was a storm drain below it, should take care of your gray water. :-P

you only get grey water if you actually wash

CarolinaQue
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
No way the health inspector would go for that!

Why not? Last year when I was there we used a cambro hot water/coffee dispenser that we just filled with hot water and closed up. Kept a bottle of hand soap and purell next to it with a bucket under the drain tube on the out door sink. We were just told to keep an eye on the water temp and add new hot water as needed and to empty the grey water as needed. Used the 3 bin system for dish washing on a seperate table away from the food.

BoneDaddy's
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Why not? Last year when I was there we used a cambro hot water/coffee dispenser that we just filled with hot water and closed up. Kept a bottle of hand soap and purell next to it with a bucket under the drain tube on the out door sink. We were just told to keep an eye on the water temp and add new hot water as needed and to empty the grey water as needed. Used the 3 bin system for dish washing on a seperate table away from the food.

I thought you were kidding about the cambro....I always thought it had to be running water. I will buy a one of those cambro's this week.

thx!

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I know that we've used a Gatorade cooler with hot water in it before and that was acceptable with the Rio Rancho (NM) health department and I think they are the hardest around!!

Fat Freddy
03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I was told a 5 gallon water cooler filled with hot water and a free flow valve is fine for a hand washing station. That is why a couple of weeks ago I was asking about coolers with free flow valves on here. I have since figured out how to make one and even asked our local health dept. if that would be sufficient and was told it would be fine.

va92bronco
03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I was told a 5 gallon water cooler filled with hot water and a free flow valve is fine for a hand washing station. That is why a couple of weeks ago I was asking about coolers with free flow valves on here. I have since figured out how to make one and even asked our local health dept. if that would be sufficient and was told it would be fine.

Did you find a free flow valve. I was thinking bout trying to find a water cooler valve(One that can stay on) and install it on a 5gal igloo water cooler. Haven't found one that would work well yet.

Fat Freddy
03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Did you find a free flow valve. I was thinking bout trying to find a water cooler valve(One that can stay on) and install it on a 5gal igloo water cooler. Haven't found one that would work well yet.
Yes and No..lol what I mean by that answer is that I found directions on how to make one with a regular water spigot, but I have not made it yet. The absolute only concern I have is over tightening the metal on the plastic of the cooler.
http://www.icphd.org/menu_file/QUICK_GUIDE_FINAL.pdf?u_id=1

scroll down to pages 14 and 15 for the directions on how to do it. Hope that helps.

va92bronco
03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes and No..lol what I mean by that answer is that I found directions on how to make one with a regular water spigot, but I have not made it yet. The absolute only concern I have is over tightening the metal on the plastic of the cooler.
http://www.icphd.org/menu_file/QUICK_GUIDE_FINAL.pdf?u_id=1

scroll down to pages 14 and 15 for the directions on how to do it. Hope that helps.

I found a similiar write up, but I have the same concern. All of those brass fittings also add up. The cost of all those fitting is at least half the cost of the cooler if not more. That is why I was hoping to find the plastic water cooler fittings. I found one site once:
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Dispenser-Replacement-Faucet-White/dp/B000BARBGK

Trick is to get one that will fit in the hole for the cooler.

BoneDaddy's
03-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Any other idea's....what did u Harpoon folks do last year?

JimmyDAL
03-06-2012, 11:51 PM
You were already confirmed for Harpoon?

Lakeside Smoker
03-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Any other idea's....what did u Harpoon folks do last year?

I didn't vend, drank a lot of Harpoon. :-D

BoneDaddy's
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
You were already confirmed for Harpoon?

No, but we have been for the last 5 years, so I assume we will get back in!

CBQ
03-08-2012, 11:45 PM
This worked, but as long as you have a way to get running water and wash your hands, you should be ok. The weirder requirement is that we have a "floor" outdoors. No idea why. We are not going to wash it, and anything hitting the "floor" is not getting served.

BoneDaddy's
03-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I talked to the Vt. Health inspector yesterday. He said that veteran teams need to have hot water with a sink and he suggested the coleman propane camping unit on top of a sink with a catch container. He did say that new teams could use a gatorade cooler, with a no hands valve and a catch basin.

nthole
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
How can you have different rules for different teams? That doesn't make any sense. Either you meet the rules or you don't. Weird.

ique
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
How can you have different rules for different teams? That doesn't make any sense. Either you meet the rules or you don't. Weird.

This health inspector is horrible

BoneDaddy's
03-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Yah, he said he is easier on the new teams...weird

SeaDogBBQ
03-10-2012, 06:34 AM

I ordered this one from igloo directly....should get it next week.
http://www.igloocoolers.com/Spigot-Lever-Type-Black

CBQ
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
This health inspector is horrible

On the other hand, some states are so strict you have no shot at a competition type setup meeting the vending requirements, so you won't meet the health inspectors. (RI :becky: No fair stand permit like in Vermont. You need a commercial or mobile kitchen to vend. At least you CAN vend in Vermont without a mobile rig.)

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
On the other hand, some states are so strict you have no shot at a competition type setup meeting the vending requirements, so you won't meet the health inspectors. (RI :becky: No fair stand permit like in Vermont. You need a commercial or mobile kitchen to vend. At least you CAN vend in Vermont without a mobile rig.)

Wait, are there going to be special health dept regulations for RI??

CBQ
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Wait, are there going to be special health dept regulations for RI??

If you are selling food, yes. I mean not "special", just stricter than MO. If you are just competing, then no.

Q Haven
03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Keep in mind that at Harpoon, if you only vend one day they do not health inspect you at all. They only inspect you if you are vending two days.