PDA

View Full Version : Panama City

Gore
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Looks like I may have one late evening in Panama City next week. Are there any must-visit restaurants?

FattyMac
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Panama City FL or Panama City, Republic of?

The latter I can help with, the former not so much.

The_Kapn
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Panama City Beach, FL is full of tourist trap resteraunts.
There are a few local joints to the west end--just need to ask around.

In Panama City area proper, there is "The Captain's Table" in the St Andrew's section. A long time favorite with locals with reasonable prices and some really good (if not great) food.
Mrs Kapn and I always go there when in town.

Panama City, Panama?
Ate at some great places there in the mid 80's, but the rum has washed my memory clean :redface:

Enjoy your visit.

TIM

The_Kapn
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Just dawned on me.
"Spring Break" just started.

PC Beach is a madhouse and you should stay away from there unless you can tolerate inebriated college coeds parading around in the skimpiest bikinis you have seen recently.
And the wet tee shirt contests will drive ya out of the clubs in a heartbeat.

It is totally discusting this time of year :-D

You are fore-warned.

TIM

Gore
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
It's the one in Florida. I'd hate to have to fly to the other one for just one day. Thanks for the warning Kapn. I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of a bunch of wet T-shirt contests; this being lent and all. I hope I don't get lost finding The Captain's Table. If I lose the directions, I'll just walk up and down the beach until I find it.

OutlawSwine
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Go to Schooner's and get the grouper sandwich. It was voted "Best fish sandwich in the world" a few years back. It's down Thomas Drive towards St. Andrews State Park.
The Boatyard is really good also. It's always really good. It's by the marina off Thomas Drive.
If you like New Orleans po boys, there is a place on Back Beach Road called David's New Orleans Sno Balls. He has TRUE New Orleans roast beef po boys. I haven't had one this good outside of New Orleans.
The Back Porch at Pier Park is a great place to have drinks in the evening. They have a roof top lounge area where you can watch the sunset off the beach. Gorgeous.
If you've never been to Pineapple Willy's, you may want to go. The food is average, but for some reason everyone raves about their Jack Daniel's ribs. I wasn't impressed, but then again, I'm a BBQ snob.

Don't get sucked in to the tourist traps like Scampy's and Montego Bay. The food sucks and is way overpriced.

My wife's family lives on the beach off Thomas Drive, so we go down and visit quite often. We really enjoy Schooner's.

Gore
03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Wow, it's hard for me to resist things like "Best fish sandwich in the world."

bigabyte
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Wow, it's hard for me to resist things like "Best fish sandwich in the world."
Take your TD pics. I'm sure you cold teach them a thing or two about good fish.:becky:

Gore
03-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Don't know what I'm thinking: Slap a bun on that, and I've got the best fish sandwich in the world. :doh:

RangerJ
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Panama City, Panama?
Ate at some great places there in the mid 80's, but the rum has washed my memory clean :redface:

TIM

Flyboys enjoying fine dining and rum, while we endured black palm and howler monkeys, dining only on Ft. Sherman..go figure!

I'm a big fan of any grouper sandwich while in the Florida Panhandle. Was a weekly staple while stationed on Eglin. Wish I had heard about this "Best in the World". Will have to track it down next time I'm there.

QN
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Hunt's Oyster Bar, Panama City, FL
http://www.huntsoysterbar.com/