PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the royal

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Of course this doesn't need any further explanation at all...

I just want to say I'm so pumped for the Royal, I can't stand it!!! You guys always look like you're having so much fun, I can't wait to get involved. What better place to cut your competition teeth than the Grandaddy? And what better place to introduce the world to my babybacks? Lucky world! :lol:

spicewine
07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
You Go Girl !!! Maybe I will see ya there!!

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I hope so! All you other MoFo's gotta be there to see me in my first contest! :) I'm making my home brew and kegging it! Man, I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest! LOL!

Solidkick
07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest!

HEY!! I resemble that remark!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Best of luck to ya, for sure! I don't know yet if we'll be cooking at the AR, but I'm sure we might be able to run up on Saturday for a visit. You know, Sweet T has experience with turn in boxes..... :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 10:16 AM
The Royal is having a sausage competition and I'm curious... when they say "sausage", they're probably not refering to fatties are they? Or could I do some sort of a fatty mod to make it interesting? I signed up for it because they didn't charge extra but now I'm wondering if it is more along the lines of the stuffed skin type sausage you make up on your own. Can someone fill me in on this? Thanks!

parrothead
07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I had the same thing at cometition 2 weeks ago. Did not really get any straight answers. I turned in a plain old maple fatty with nothing done to it and took 4th place out of 63 teams. Got me some cash out of it also. Go with a maple fatty. For right now it will be unique enough to be different. Not sure about a few years from now.

VitaminQ
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
I saw a fatty when I was judging Art of Barbecue in Tulsa in June. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sure liked it.

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Cool! Maple fatties it is then! And you're right... I don't think most people know what it is. Of course I've gotten the weird looks when I've told people I smoke fatties! The maple ones absolutely rock... I'd be impressed if I was a judge! Thanks, guys!

Qczar
07-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?

I just can`t get past using the mass produced pre rolled fatty mod.

Hell, mustard goes with sausage. Maybe a honey mustard version? I`ll be trying that one next burn.

icemn62
07-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?.

I did something like this once when I was stuffing peppers ofr the smoker. I had a lot of the meat left over, so I rolled it into a loaf like shape and put it in the smoker. Tasted okay, but thought I rolled it too tight.

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
BTW... I'm sure some of you have thought of it already (haven't seen recipes in awhile) but last time I did ABTs in my chili grill, I mixed together that new whipped garlic and spice cream cheese and a bit of the whipped onion and chive cream cheese and stirred in a finely chopped fatty section! Then stuffed the peppers! Awesome!

chad
07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Moderator comment:

Gents: Keep it on topic or it goes bye-bye. :D

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry Chad...

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Made it barely under the gun for the Royal sign up. It looks like by Friday, they'll be full so if you're thinking about it... git r done! And also, not bad for a competition rookie, I've already gotten two sponsor companies today... one for $250 and another for $100. My wife is going to talk to her boss tomorrow about at least another $100. This could end up being pretty cheap for us! Sorry to boast but I'm pretty pumped about all this since it's my first contest!

frognot
07-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Jeff, best of luck! keep us posted.

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Forgive me, guys for asking a lot of questions but I'll have more more than likely as I go along towards Sept. 30.

Anyway, it just occured to me that since you cannot put any spices, etc. on your meat until after it has been checked by the competition meat inspector, obviously, it can't sit 12-24 hours with rub on it like I usually do. Are there any special things you would do prior to cooking differently than you would at home so that you can still get the benefit of having good flavor?

Also, I have never done it but I read somewhere that a guy put mustard/rub on for several hours then put a second coat of mustard/rub on right before he put it into the smoke so that bark turns out better. Is this something any of you competition cooks do? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing!

The_Kapn
07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo :lol:

TIM

jminion
07-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Competing puts everyone on a level playing field when it comes to handling product. If it 8 to 12 hours is all you have you learn to adjust.

Neil
07-28-2005, 03:30 AM
AR the first time out of the box! Good luck Jeff.

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo :lol:

TIM

OK so if I can't get there that early (they want all checked in before 4pm), I'm just going to lose that time in rub I suppose. It's looking more and more like I'll have to take the full day off! Cool! didn't want to work it anyway. Since I'll be cooking for the brass of my company for a sponsor dinner, maybe I can get away with taking off and not using a vacation day! :D

You know, it is a big'un to start out on and yes, the fun factor will be a good reward (along with the fact that you tell anyone around KC you're cooking in the Royal and they're instantly impressed! LOL!) but after reading NewsDay from New York and seeing them talk about lightning being able to strike anyone, who knows? If I just happen to pull my best efforts out of the smoker... 8)

Thanks for the answers, guys...

Quigley
07-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Keep in mind that many people set up very early. The later you get there the more difficult it may be to set up, especially if you have a big rig. Just a thought. Do yourseld the favor, take the day off.

spicewine
07-28-2005, 07:58 AM
We always try to get our meat checked in ASAP. We get there early and concentrate on the Brisket and Pork butt. The Chicken and Ribs don't go on untill the next day anyway and can get the benefit of an overnight seasoning.

I have tried the Mustard thing and although it looks and sounds like it would just be nasty, it actually wasn't too bad! I choose not to do this method in competition.

MoKanMeathead
07-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?

I have not used this recipe but do make my own fatties. Grind up a pork butt and add whatever spices you want to make Italian fatties, polish fatties, etc. Roll the mix in plasic wrap and smoke for about 20 minutes, until if firms up. Unwrap, add rub and smoke for a couple of hours - good stuff.

At the Great Bend contest we turned in smoked Johnsonville Bratts in Head Country BBQ sauce - took 4th out of 40+ teams.

icemn62
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Good Luck Jeff. On your first competition

spicewine
07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't forget that you have the MOFO MOJO working for you!!

MrSmoker
07-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Good Luck Jeff,kick some Butt.Don't forget to take pics.Are you flying the "Brethren" Colors?

YLBILL
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Jeff, see if Neal will lend you his rib crown for good luck......No wait, he lost that to some kid! :lol: Sorry Neil it was too easy! Good luck Jeff, we look forward to the pics.

Bellybro
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Go get em Jeff!

Good luck! Who is going to cook with you?

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys... in response to several questions in one post:

Neil: Sure! Why not go big, right? Afterall, I'm a Brethren! And we rock!

Jay: Yep, I'm kinda countin' on that! The MOJO will live at the Royal! (Can I use Sweet Heat? :D )

MrSmoker: Yes, I'll be ordering my Brethren Banner from Phil within the next week! I wouldn't cook without it, guaranteed!

Bill: I didn't know Neil lost the crown... and to a kid?!? Neil? What gives?

Belly: Thanks! I'm going to have my wife help me and I have a guy from one of our Reece & Nichols offices who smokes and is really into it. I gave him this link and he has visited. I'll have him hooked by the evening of October 1! I've got a call in to my step-brother who also has a smoker and it working hard to reach brisket nervana. I'm also wondering if any of you MOFOs who won't be cooking in the Royal are planning to be up here and available for a one-time gig away from your regular team... I got nothin' fancy... BSKD, hopefully a WSM and the guy I'm cooking with from our office has something he got from Smoke n' Fire in south Overland Park. Not sure the brand.... And my camper has four soft walls and a vinyl floor (i.e. a tent) but if anyone is interested, let me know. Scott has some things going on where he isn't able to commit the time and I fully understand so unless he finds the time to come down, we won't be cooking together for the Royal. I'd welcome some contest-experienced help.

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Sounds good, Wayne... are you doing the Royal this year?

MoKanMeathead
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
are you doing the Royal this year?

We will definately be at the Royal Spot 707 if we get the same spot as last year. Understand that will be your first contest - good luck. We will also be doing Blue Spring on Sept 9/10. Stop by if you want - we can probably show you how not to do things.

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
I plan to come by Blue Springs if I'm in town, which at this time, I'm scheduled to be. You gonna have your Margarita machine there? :D

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Just called the Royal to change my official team name I submitted after discussing at KCBS... that went OK. I'm officially "Big Creek BBQ". However, when I asked if the confirmation number I received online from the Royal meant I made it in before they were full, she said NO, NOT NECESSARILY! I was a little caught off guard on that. Immediately, the ol' knot in the stomach came back. Then I found out just how long that knot might be there... "We will let you know about August 20" she said. AUGUST 20 is FARKIN' THREE WEEKS AWAY!! She says "Well, there is a very good chance you are OK since you registered electronically on Wednesday morning". "Very good" did nothing to help the sick feeling and it does nothing to help me feel like going out and spending money on that camp kitchen I am eyeing or the 10x20 canopy I found! I'm just wondering if they have to be tight lipped until the entry deadline or what? But you'd think that if they were full, they'd TELL people they're full so registrations would stop.

Well anyway, I joined KCBS as "Big Creek BBQ", a reference to the creek flowing by our town. Several businesses in the area use "Big Creek" in their names and it will be locally identifiable while not being so specific that guys from other areas won't feel like joining up.

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Jeff,
Just guessing, but probably waiting to check postmarks on mail in apps.

If "it was meant to be"--it will happen.

Take a deep breath :lol:

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah I know but when you get all pumped up for it and then they just take a little air out of your balloon, you can't fly quite as high! :( Thanks for the input though!

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah I know but when you get all pumped up for it and then they just take a little air out of your balloon, you can't fly quite as high! :( Thanks for the input though!
Ya know what?
Even if you miss the Royal Open, there are about a Zillion Contests all around you :lol:
At least you don't have to drive hundreds and hundreds of miles like Chad and I do :twisted:
Pick any of them and use that as the excuse to go "shopping" :lol:
Nice list ya got there!

Enough stress when you actually compete--just "chill out" now and get ready mentally to have fun--somewhere--anywhere :lol:

TIM

MoKanMeathead
07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
You gonna have your Margarita machine there?

Never leave for a contest without it!!

chad
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM
If you're serious about competition and you registered on time - plan like it's gonna happen. You've got plenty of time - even if you go to plan "B" and enter a regional contest instead of the Open. Also, remember that entry opens in MAY! :D

As big as it is the Royal really is just another contest. Blasphemy? No - reality. I look forward to the day I compete at the Royal but I'm not holding my breath while trying to win an Invitational slot and I'm sure not driving 2500 miles for an Open. :D Now, if I lived closer - yeah, I'd do the Open but I'd register earlier. :mrgreen: I mean, after all, the pay out is exceptional not to mention the Jack entry and automatic entry into next year's Royal.

Take a deep breath and keep planning - August still gives you, what, 2 months!! Plenty of time.

chad
07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
I just looked up the dates - August 20 will give you about 5 weeks! Plenty of time to stroke out over the details! :D

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys... I'm sure things are gonna work out. If not, I guess I could hit another contest and take it by storm! Afterall, Brethren are always the favorite to win contests they're entered in, right? :)

chad
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I want a pair of your rose colored glasses! :D

Don't forget to buy your lettuce before you go to the site. The chances of buying any within 50 miles of the fairgrounds will be slim and none. :D

MoKanMeathead
07-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Don't forget to buy your lettuce before you go to the site. The chances of buying any within 50 miles of the fairgrounds will be slim and none

Last year Price chopper was on site and had a lot of produce on hand. Bought some good lettuce even as late as Saturday morning. We didn't bring enough for the sausage category.

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Afterall, Brethren are always the favorite to win contests they're entered in, right?
Absolutely--here in the forum at least :lol:
Now, if we could just pack the Judge's tent with Brother's......... :oops:

The Que we love so much may, or may not, score in Competetion.

At the risk of being redundant (again) I still am a firm beleiver in going to Judge's training and then (more importantly) judging. That will give you an appreciation of just how really "fine" some championship quaility meat is. Then you just have to figure out how to cook that well consistantly and you will walk.

Good luck.

TIM

Solidkick
07-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Don't make the AR your first contest.......come cook at the Bass Pro event on 9/9-9/10.......it's gonna be a small event, a good one for you to get feet wet on....but that's also the weekend of Blues Springs.......

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Kick, my ability to take off time from work for the rest of this year is getting very limited. Since I already paid for the Royal and requested September 30 off, I'm at least going to wait until I've heard from them. When is the deadline for entries in BPS or is that just something the AR does?

willkat98
07-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Jeff,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you don't make the entry deadline, and your money is returned.

"What did he just say?" is what I just heard you say.

So here it is. I have never competed in a contest, so I think I can add .02

I've read this forum for a while, and rarely post in this sub forum. Why? Cuz these guys are serious, or make that passionate, about their hobby. I just can't get that worked up over the perfect chicken, etc.. The thought of judging (eating!) the perfect chicken on the other hand, has my interest.

But I digress. These guys take this stuff seriously (not saying you don't) but to "start" your competition career on the world series event, might be like taking your entry fee and throwing it into the fire. In no way trying to discourage you, but just here me out.

Okay, we have read, in the past few days, a sheet load of info here on turn in times, warm slices of brisket, and practice turn in runs, from plenty of circuit guys like Jim, the 2 Rays, Mokan, Sigma, etc. These guys have it down to a science. Greg even talks about practice walks.

We heard about brisket injections, Flav B, and ways to improve turn ins with burnt ends.

The older threads (what we loosly refer to as the "archives") have even more competition info.

So as a fellow person that never competed in an event, put your money away. Cancel your entry.

BUT WAIT!!!!

This isn't defeat.

I still want you to take that day off!!

Go to the Royal. But don't go as a spectator!!

We got a couple guys teams going here. Contact them. Send them a PM. Be down there, waiting at 6am on Friday for them to pull up. Help them unload. Stand back, and help out when they want you too. Clean the knives, keep the coolers full of ice, and wash the cutting boards whenever you can.

And watch.

And watch.

In "the window", get out of their way.

And watch.

Take notes if you can.

Since this is the signature event of the year, each and every team has been going at it all year, and they are all probably well sync'd and have their "A" game on.

If you spent your first Royal as a competitor, with no one their showing you what is working and what is not, then you just wasted the weekend, since you didnt learn anything. Make it a learning experience by tying on with another team, if only as a gopher. That will give you more time to learn.

I know from your posts that you are excited and pumped.

I just don't want you to come back in OCt and post a "well that sucked" response.

Maybe I am giving you my wish, to learn from the real competitors before going alone, I just want you to have the best experience ever on your first time out, at the farking World Series event!!

Does this make sense?

If off base, let me know, and I'll delete

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Damn Bill,
I thought surprises were over in my life :lol:
That Sir--was a masterpeice!
All I can say is -------"DITTO"-----------!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff, consider what he says hard--Dude is putting out good thoughts.
But, if ya want to proceed--we will help all we can, for sure!

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
No it makes sense... but I have heard the opposite also from some teams and that is why not go for the big one right off the bat? Like I said, what you say does make a lot of sense... but competing at the Royal wouldn't suck, not matter what happened being my first event. I've watched SOME but not a lot and in a weird sort of way, from reading all I can here, I almost feel like I've been right in the mix at contests. But I think that's a tribute to the great folks here who share info and tell their stories in detail.

I guess in short, it would almost be a huge disappointment to NOT be in now. And I'm giving some serious consideration to cooking Bass Pro Contest anyway... thanks a lot, Kick! :roll: However, after reading your message, I've decided that if I'm out of the AR since I didn't get entered until late, I'm going to be fine with it and offer my assistance to any one of the guys here who will be competing that weekend! Fair enough? Now I'll quit farkin' whining about my possible bad luck and go get my farkin' beast of a briasket prepped for the smoke! :)

willkat98
07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Yes, as Tim said.

These guys got your back with tips and stuff, but their tips are self taught.

I whole heartedly want your first experience to be great, and not turn you off to future events.

I'll step back now, cuz I don't know chit.

Regardless of what happens, Good Luck Jeff!!!

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Bill, I appreciate your thoughts and I am sure you make a lot of sense in what you say. I'm just going to see what happens with the entry come deadline time and if I'm in, great, I'll cook my ass off and make you farkers proud! :) But if they tell me I'm on the outside looking in, I'll just go terrorize the Meatheads or some of the Columbia boys if they decide to cook! I'm definitely up for being cheap labor to learn if I don't make it.

I needed a break to reply! I have been rubbing down that big-ass brisket and next is peeling the membranes off the babybacks and I farkin hate that! My wife, who usually does it, is at a woman's night party and I'm by myself here... so it's Q prep, beer and porn but not a damned decent cigar in the house! LOL! OK gotta go yank membranes... :x

willkat98
07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Bill, I appreciate your thoughts and I am sure you make a lot of sense in what you say. I'm just going to see what happens with the entry come deadline time and if I'm in, great, I'll cook my ass off and make you farkers proud! :) But if they tell me I'm on the outside looking in, I'll just go terrorize the Meatheads or some of the Columbia boys if they decide to cook! I'm definitely up for being cheap labor to learn if I don't make it.

I needed a break to reply! I have been rubbing down that big-ass brisket and next is peeling the membranes off the babybacks and I farkin hate that! My wife, who usually does it, is at a woman's night party and I'm by myself here... so it's Q prep, beer and porn but not a damned decent cigar in the house! LOL! OK gotta go yank membranes... :x

Your first reply came in a minute of mine. I see you talked to other teams that gave opposite advise of mine (better from real competitors than me) and I see you already watched a few people.

Apologies if necessary for thinking you didnt know what your in for.

You mentioned that it will be fun regardless, and I now say, GO FOR IT!

I was kinda looking out for you, but seems your already covered.

Fingers crossed till Aug 20 for you (and I now cannot write my name)

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Bill, I guaran-farkin-tee you I don't have a farkin clue what I'm in for... I know it will be hectic... I know along about 10:00 AM on Saturday I'll be in crunch time, thinking a million things at once and I know I'll probably panic once or twice. But you know what? I'm just going to have fun if I make it in. I'm not gonna get worked up over anything and I have no grand illusions about outscoring many of the teams. My total "watch time" at contests probably totals 6 hours or so. Not much time to learn but I'm taking notes of everything I see here and from questions I ask. I have a sheet of notes for each category and when things are discussed, I'm writing down what I see that could help me. And I've remembered some of the things I've seen and talked about at Warsaw and Columbia and made notes on those too. I'm an extremely organized person and I am sure that I will go into any competition ready for whatever arises and if I come across something that farks me, so be it... lesson learned!

You have no idea how much I appreciate your thoughts on this topic, Bill. I respect you and everyone else here for their knowledge and expertise and competitor or not, your opinion is a wise one and while I will not pull out of the AR on purpose, if I am cut out due to registering late, I'll do exactly as you suggested. If I make it in, like I said, I'm gonna cook my ass off and will be working over the next 60 days to improve what I pull off my smoker. Hell, if I can pull some cash from just entering a fatty in the sausage competition, I'll consider it a successful weekend! If I get shut out but spend a weekend cooking, drinking beer and enjoying the company of my family, friends and any Brethren in town, farkin' AY! It couldn't get any better!

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2005, 10:19 PM
My beast brisket turned out really nice and I was very pleased with the bark I got (first time I really liked it on any brisket I've done) but my problem was that after wrapping in foil, it kinda "steamed" the bark and made it mushy again where it could practically wipe it off. My question is how do you combat this at contests? Here at home, I dabbed the whole top surface with Jay's Spicewine Gourmet BBQ Glaze and stuck in the oven on broil for 3-4 minutes. It helped somewhat. So how do you firm up and dry the bark at contest so it isn't difficult to slice without messing up the bark coating?

I've decided that when I get rolling in contests, all I'm going to cook is trimmed flats in the 8 pound range... this big 13 pound brisket was about 30% fat and the thick end was about 80% fat. As it turned out, I don't think there was much I would have felt comfortable using at contest due to the thick fat cap and fat on the top. My wife thinks we've gotten more brisket out of a trimmed 7-8 pounder than we did this 13 pounder. I think she's right. On top of that, a trimmed 7-8 pound brisket doesn't take 13 hours to cook! :shock:

The_Kapn
07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Jeff,
Take a peek here for one discussion on Bark:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4933&highlight=dry+wet+heat+bark
Altough this thread was focused (kinda) on the type of heat, there is lots of good info there.
Folks will have even more thoughts here for sure.

As to packer vs flat--your call.
But, in comp "yield" is not a consideration, quality is :lol:
Different goals.
A lot of us find the flat area just below the point to be the best quality for turn-in slices. Other areas may be used for chopped or shredded peices to balance out the box.
I would think it will take more than one test cook to reach your final decision :wink:

Did you cook Choice or Select Grade of Brisket? I find a world of diffence in them with Choice winning hands down.

As to neighbors opinion--well my friends and family say my Que is the best in the world.
I really love that---Feels great, doesn't it :lol:
However, our comp meat is "notches above reality" compared to my recreational que--for sure.
KCBS and FBA judges find it DAM (Dead Ass Middle) of the Pack. Consistant placings event after event, at least up to now :twisted:
Having judged some, afraid I have to agree with them (kinda), bad as I hate to.
We are "fixing" that at Dillard next weekend :lol:
Do what you want with that peice of info about friends and family :lol:

Keep on testing--that is how you will get there.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Tim, I can't recall the label and the way that trash probably smells this morning, no way in hell am I pulling it out. But knowing Sam's Club, it was probably "Select". I'll watch more closely next time. I recall the sticker and that it said "USDA something" (choice or select). Thanks for that info.

Yep, I've read discussions about cooking for family and friends who think your Q is the best they've ever had. It sure does feel pretty good. One can quickly become a legend in their neighborhood with their smoker! I've dispensed my Q to all but two families on my entire block now with nothing but rave reviews. The problem is 99.9 percent of them have never had Q outside of a Q joint and we all know backyard Q Brethren style beats any from a restaurant so it's understandable they'd feel this way. A couple of competitions will bring me back to earth I'm sure.

Thanks for the thread link. I'll study that today!

spicewine
08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I think you going to the Royal is completely up to you. Just remember if you fail------Don't try to re-invent the wheel---make some subtle adjustments and live to cook another day. The judging can sometimes be brutal. Look at your scores and analize the problems---Appearance---Taste ----Tenderness ect. Find the weak points and build on them. Then and only then will you know what the Big Dogs already know.

Your Daily 2 cents worth of Spice!

ANY TIME YOU CAN WALK THE STAGE----IT'S A GOOD DAY!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks Jay... Hey, the only way I could fail is if I didn't turn something in. (which ain't happening). I'm feeling more and more confident that my product is getting better each time so if I finish 400th out of 475 and had a good time, drank some beer and got to eat some of my own cooking, I was successful! :) At leastv I knocked off 75 teams, right?

BrooklynQ
08-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Jeff- just go out there and have a good time. What does it matter if you're up againist one legend of BBQ or 300? Even if you come in last place, you'll still have fun, meet some great folks and learn a lot.

Smoker
08-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Jeff,

Take a look at some of the pictures of the entries that BrooklynQ put together at Grill Kings and Guitarbeque. Rob got consistant High scores for appearance at both shows....no sense reinventing the wheel when you are tight for time. Print them out and hang them up for reference. If you win....thank BrooklynQ

Good Luck,

Steve

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I've seen a few good photos of turn in's here that I really liked so I'll definitely do that! I need to educate my wife on the process too. We've already been discussing that. I'm scared to let anyone else run the entry to turn in because what if they stumbled, ran into someone, etc. and messed up the presentation inside the box? I'm going to have to let go of SOMETHING, especially in a contest where turn in could take 5-6 minutes to get there!

Smoker
08-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Jeff,

You will have to let someone else do the turn ins since they are only 30 minutes apart. You will have to stay focused on the meats that are still on the grill that need to come off for the next round. Also, time how long it takes to get from where u are to the judges tent BEFORE judging day so u know how long u need. A few alarm clocks don't hurt either.

Steve

BrooklynQ
08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Jeff,

Take a look at some of the pictures of the entries that BrooklynQ put together at Grill Kings and Guitarbeque. Rob got consistant High scores for appearance at both shows....no sense reinventing the wheel when you are tight for time. Print them out and hang them up for reference. If you win....thank BrooklynQ

Man - don't go by what I do. I'm new to this thing too. Thanks for the ego boost Smoker!

Just keep the garnish within regs and use the best available. I used 7 heads of lettuce and 4 big bunches of flat leaf and curley parsley to put together the 4 boxes. A lot of it winds up in the garbage. Not that I wouldn't have eaten it, but it wasn't pretty enough for presentation. And most of all - keep the boxes spotless.

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Good ideas, there, Steve. I think I'll probably assign the turn in's to my wife. She's pretty meticulous and I have little doubt she'd get them there undisturbed and on time. I'll just be a little nervous as she takes off with them!

BrooklynQ
08-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I'll just be a little nervous as she takes off with them!

At the first Guitarbeque, Sharon was the runner for the team while I did the boxes. For the first turn in, she had to run to get it there on time. I'd hand off the box to her in the back of the cook area, she starts running. Hanging in the front of the tent was the pig banner. She ran right into the strings holding the banner. Her head snapped back and she was stunned. It looked like she was clothes lined. But did she drop the box? No. Did she stop running? No. Did she get it in on time? Hell yeah! The poor thing walked around the rest of the day with a rope burn across her face.

Hell of a woman that Poohbah's got.

If the turn in table is far from your setup, you may want to consider a seperate person just for running.

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry but that was funny! god help me when Phil sees this but that was funny! Hell, I'd even laugh if it was MY wife! Especially if it was my wife. Come to think of it, my wife would be carring my turn in box so maybe I wouldn't! :shock:

BBQchef33
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm gonna preach for a minute.

Go For it! Don't go to win, it will just stress you out, but go to learn, do your best, stick with what you know and if you win, thats gravy on the potatos.

Before i started to compete last year. I knew how to cook. I did NOT however know how to compete. That will only come if u get out there under a tent and start competing. Who cares if its the East Gibip BBQ Hoedown or the American Royal. Go to a competition and do as you would in your yard. Relax, breath, stay focused. Make your ribs, your chicken, your brisket and butt. That will be easy. You have done it a boatload of times for family and friends. Now its just unknown guests. What you have NOT done is timed your best A-game product to come out of the beast in a 10 minute window, 20 minutes apart. That is your challenge. The art of competing. Getting a 12 hour brisket or 10 hour butt so its done, but not dry, and just enuf cooler time. Being able to find 6 perfect thighs out of 24, trimmed, glazed and formed, and to the presentation artist just short of the 10 minute window. Moving from ribs to butt and pulling, glazing and seasoning then having enuf time to slice a brisket. All of this is preceded by timed intervals of marinading, brining, rubbing....... drinking :) Thats what competing is all about. Its all timing. We can all produce good BBQ at our leisure..... but no matter how good you can cook, at a competition it aint no good if its a minute late, or undercooked when that 10 minute window opens up.

So go to the AR. Any one person can win a competition on any given day. If you can manage to get 6 judges 4 times that love your Q, your a GC and the subjectiveness under the judging tent can be in your favor that day. You may or may not walk away with a trophy, thats a crapshoot, but its a guarentee that you WILL walk away with experience that you can use your next time out.

Go forth and conquer. 8)

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Phil. I love words of encouragement!

By the way... the guy who is going to be on my team has a "Good One" (I believe is what it's called) smoker. Not sure what model but if I'm guessing, it isn't the one on an axle. Has anyone here ever used one or seen one in action? I don't know what to expect with it.

The_Kapn
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Phil. I love words of encouragement!

By the way... the guy who is going to be on my team has a "Good One" (I believe is what it's called) smoker. Not sure what model but if I'm guessing, it isn't the one on an axle. Has anyone here ever used one or seen one in action? I don't know what to expect with it.
Jeff,
Never even heard of them.
Here is their website if you have not seen it.
http://www.thegood-one.com/
Obviously, you will be practicing before the Royal Open, so you will be quite comfortable with it prior to then :lol:
Let us know how it goes--we may be able to help adapt to it.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I was just doing some reading online and found that an old buddy of mine from high school days is a certified KCBS judge. Would it maybe be a benefit to me to invite him over to the house, cook for him and have him give me some impressions before a first contest? Or would there be no big reason to do that? What do any of you think?

BrooklynQ
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Go ahead and do it. Can't hurt to get him to tell you and show you what the judges are looking for.

txpgapro
08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Jeff,
Good Luck! But I will agree with the others that being a top-notch Pit Bitch first would do you worlds of good. From temps and timing to presentations there is so much more to comps than just what you do at home. Also, if you've never judged before, do it. And do a lot of it too. That is the best way to see how it's done, how the champs do it, and what the judges are really looking for. Any way you do it, have fun with it, good luck and don't get yourself down about it.

Trout_man22
08-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Jeff,

Best of luck getting in. But I side with Bill on this ( for the life of me I don't know why.) If you do get in, what ever you need bro just let us know, and I see how I can help.

Trout

jminion
08-02-2005, 06:07 AM
A Good One is a fine smoker but it set up differently than most pits, try to get some time cooking on it before the Royal.
Hopefully your friend has it down and knows the pit.
First time I cooked the Royal (our first year competing) got our asses handed to us, the second time we made the top 20. Phil is right it is about learning to compete. You are going to be over on the Dark Side don't let the partiers get you.

kcpellethead
08-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Only if you can convince him to be brutally honest. Most people don't want to tell folks their food is bad. If you can't get constructive feedback, what good is it? Also, taste is subjective. Just because he likes or dislikes your food, what about the other five people at that table?

I read the thread about the Royal being your first contest. When trying to fill 475 judging spots at that contest, they basically take anyone who is breathing. Plan on taking the feedback you get about your entries that day with a grain of salt. It's just too big to get qualified, certified, even normal, people. The scoring can be quite erratic. It's a great time, don't get me wrong. However, it's not the place to evaluate your cooking.

parrothead
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
It's just too big to get qualified, certified, even normal, people.

I would wager that that is not the case in KC. I believe that there is a great number of judges in the area and they have to turn away certified judges.

Anybody know any better on this topic?

Jeff, definately give your old high school buddy a call. At the least you should have some fun catching up.

kcpellethead
08-02-2005, 10:26 AM
[quote="parrothead"][quote]

Greg,

Come on down and judge it. The Royal is always scrambling for judges on Saturday morning. Can you imagine getting 475 judges together the morning after the biggest party in the midwest. The no shows are incredible. Add having to pay for parking because the judges lot is five blocks away and/or already full. Believe me when I tell you that the American Royal Open contest will take just about ANYBODY to judge. Anybody who's cooked or judged this event will tell you the same thing.

Rod

parrothead
08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I stand corrected. Too far to go to just judge. If one of our teams gets an invite I may go to help out. Schedule is slammed from now until the end of October.

Solidkick
08-02-2005, 12:21 PM
the East Gibip BBQ Hoedown

I think we won that one this year......... :mrgreen:

drbbq
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I'll second all of that. They do the best they can, but the Royal is not a very good pool of judges.

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2005, 10:35 PM
A Good One is a fine smoker but it set up differently than most pits, try to get some time cooking on it before the Royal.
Hopefully your friend has it down and knows the pit.
First time I cooked the Royal (our first year competing) got our asses handed to us, the second time we made the top 20. Phil is right it is about learning to compete. You are going to be over on the Dark Side don't let the partiers get you.

Jim, he's done ribs and chicken in it but hasn't done a brisket or butt in it yet. I'd really rather do the brisket and butt in his smoker for contest as he said he gets a solid four hour burn without re-fueling! Could make for more shut-eye overnight.

The_Kapn
08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Jeff,
Could make for more shut-eye overnight.
Someone has said "sleep is highly overated". :lol: :lol:
You are gonna be so pumped you could not sleep even with KC's FEC 100 doing the cooking! :lol: :lol:
(Just a moment of levity) :lol:

I have set an alarm clock for every "nap" I have taken. Never, ever has it gone off--entirely to psyched to oversleep--for sure :oops:

You have lots and lots of time to practice.
You need to run some practice cooks with the arsenal you have and all four meats at the same schedule as a comp.

See how the Good One cooks and plan/adjust from there.

Keep us posted!

TIM

jminion
08-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Good One can handle brisket and butt just fine, like Tim says do some practice cooks.

BrooklynQ
08-03-2005, 09:03 PM
didn't anyone else get worked up over their first contest? :wink:

Hell YEAH. I didn't sleep at all the night before, during or when I got home. I was freaking flying.

But then again I was working with Pooh and Chad. I had a hell of a cushion.

spicewine
08-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Jeff: Good to see you yesterday!!! You have the right attitude to compete and you have the right tools( wink, wink, nudge, nudge) all I can say is

Go out there and win one for the Groper--- I mean Gipper

Had you confused with me for a minute there.

Any time you can walk the stage----It's a good day!!

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
08-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks Greg!

Jeff_in_KC
08-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Jay! I just want to make the Brothers proud, ya know?

parrothead
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I just want to make the Brothers proud, ya know?

You already do just by jumping in and going for it. Now, let's see if we can get you to place above the curve and learn a bunch at the same time.

Jeff_in_KC
08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Good News!!! I just got an email from the person I've been talking to at the Royal, trying to confirm my entry is in. Well, she did and Big Creek BBQ is officially in! She said she just can't confirm my space assignment until August 20. BF(arkin')D! I don't need to know that right now. I just needed to be able to farking sleep at night! Onward and upward!

Trout_man22
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Jeff,

Congrats, Now sit down drink a beer and take a breath.

Jeff_in_KC
08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Jeff,

Congrats, Now sit down drink a beer and take a breath.

I would if I wasn't still at work for another three farkin hours! So to celebrate, I went out and bought me a shiney new WSM! My wife may NOT kill me... she's down with a bad back and is on muscle relaxers and pain killers so maybe when I tell her what I just spent (after buying a $150 10x20 canopy yeserday), that pain will be killed also! :lol:

BrooklynQ
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
So when's the first practice run thru?

Jeff_in_KC
08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
So when's the first practice run thru?

Farkin' tomorrow or Sunday, no doubt! Tonight, I'm firing up the BSKD and smoking my buckboard bacon and five maple fatties! Won't have the WSM put together in time to use it tonight.

BBQchef33
08-05-2005, 03:07 PM
First thing is... breath. do the La maz thing. then start shopping of r your camp.

then go to Walmart and buy 4 tuff boxes in the autosection. One large. 40 bucks about 3x4 and the 3 smaller ones, aboout 2x4 @ 19 bucks. Also, a cheapo shlf unit. 9 bucks for a 18x24 5 shelf plastic unit. it organizes your tables. (see picture) The larger one is perfect for all the tent canopies and walls u just bought, bungies, and additional hardware items(like the table legs your about to hear about).

u need at least 3 6 foot tables. Washing, prep, turnin. i have 2 8s and a 6. Up to u if u want a seating area.

to save your back, if your table has 4 individual legs, cut 4 18inch( or measure to your own comfort) sections of 1 1/2 inch PVC and put one on each foot of the table. It raises the prep table up so you are not hunched over. Then just pop em off for storage.

Lighting, 50 and 100 foot extension cords, 6 plug powercenter and some 12 foot home cords, garden hose for water and a Y connector.

The big tuff box will hold all tools, tent stuff, lights, BBQ Tools.

the smaller boxes, one for spices and kitchen supplies he second for cleaners, liquid and paper goods. A third is agood idea for Misc.

Also, home depot has a cabinet made by tuffbox. 69 dollars. 36 wide x 48 high. If your planning on continuing after the AR, this is very handy. I keep "stuff" in it. Additional propane canisters, lanterns, BBQ tools, gloves, tiewraps, setup tools. If it aint in the kitchen, it goes in there.

Start setting aside or buying kitchen supplies. Paper goods, towels, plates, plastic cuttlery. Liquids stuff like apple juice, worsey sauce, tobascos, fuel(kingsford and lump). You will need a camping stove or turkey frying burner of some type to heat sauces or breakfast unless u are goinf to use the firebox. Get all this stuff aside now. you got 5 weeks to go before the crunch. Grocery bill will hit hard, you dont need the paper and non perishable liquids to hit then too.

my biggest problem for the first few times is organization. Up to the last comp, all the stuff was in small bocxes all over the kitchen. Right before asbury park, I consolidated everything into about 4 permanent boxes and 2 others for stuff that needs to be refreshed every time. The shelf in the kitchen area worked wonders for organizing. The boxes made packing and prep for the next event real easy. I know i am better off because a weeek after the event, the trailer is still packed and ready to go. All I unpacked were the coolers and the 2 boxes of perishables. Next time, just refill the coolers, replenish the apple juice and take off.

We start talkin about timing techniques as ya get closer. Right now, get organized..

And get this shelf unit in the picture. It goes together in a minute and comes right apart. Also, notice the height of the prep table Xczar is at. Thats from the PVC legs. You can see them in the bottom right of the photo.

Jeff_in_KC
08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Gee thanks, Phil! I was kinda hoping I could stay away from the spending for a week or so! :lol: And my wife will demand it! She hasn't said anything about the WSM yet but I KNOW she saw the box in the back of my car... the silence is farkin' deadly!

MoKanMeathead
08-08-2005, 08:45 AM
50 and 100 foot extension cords,

Make sure you get 12 gauge extension cords - sometimes you will have power issues with the smaller cords...and I think the royal is requiring 12 gauge cords this year.

Walk around a few contests and take notes of what others are using in their sites.

Jeff_in_KC
08-08-2005, 07:53 PM
50 and 100 foot extension cords,

Make sure you get 12 gauge extension cords - sometimes you will have power issues with the smaller cords...and I think the royal is requiring 12 gauge cords this year.

Walk around a few contests and take notes of what others are using in their sites.

Yep, they sure are requiring 12 gauge. I signed up for electric but I guess that I won't know if I got it until August 20? I know I won't know location assignment until then. Would be nice if Brethren would end up close to each other.

As for checking out other contests, I've seen a few and I plan on seeing at least one more before the Royal, probably Blue Springs and Kearney. I've been spending a lot of time recently figuring out how I want to set up my camp. Some things I don't lack in are organization, diagramming and planning!

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Space assignments for the Royal are out...

Big Creek BBQ - 537
MoKan Meatheads - 782
Pellet Envy - 932

Any other Brethren I'm missing? Let's go get 'em, guys!

jminion
09-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Bonesmokers- 910

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Looking forward to meeting you, Jim!

In looking at the map of sites, I think I'm seeing what the "dark side" actually is... as a first-time competitor in this contest, I'm way the hell out to the southwest end of the event and it seems all the teams who've been around for awhile are to the northeast. My guess is there are going to be a crap-load of idiots, non-serious Q people and partiers around where my team is located. And I don't know if it's bad or good but to one side of my space is an ash pit. Convenient but potentially a crowd and a mess right next door! At least I'll only have a team on one immediate side of me. Definitely a tarp on the ash pit end of my canopy to block it off!

Question... for anyone who has seen the map: where will the turn in site be on this thing? I don't see anything labeled and I was trying to get an idea of distance from my camp.

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Oops... sorry Jim... Bonesmokers is Dr. BBQ. Forgot until I opened a bottle of Honey BBQ Sauce and looked at the label! :oops:

Jorge
09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Question... for anyone who has seen the map: where will the turn in site be on this thing? I don't see anything labeled and I was trying to get an idea of distance from my camp.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about it until I got there and got set up. Walk it, time it, and add a little for the extra bodies come turn in time. If you have consistent product, and fairly consistent cook times you can adjust accordingly. But, that's just me :D

jminion
09-04-2005, 04:31 PM
The turn-ins are in the Gov Bldg, they also serve breaskfast there, have the cooks meeting.

kcpellethead
09-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Something you won't see until turn-in times on Saturday is the number of people and vehicles you must maneuver around to get to turn-in and the line you will have when you get there. Just plan on leaving for turn-in to get you there at the very front end of the turn-in window. That will give you the cushion for unforeseen "traffic." Welcome to the American Royal!

drbbq
09-05-2005, 08:53 AM
You need a dedicated runner at the Royal. That person can be gone for 20 minutes with each entry, so don't count on them for much else.

Like Rod said, "Welcome to the Royal". It's a great time, but it's not like any other cookoff. You just have to accept some bullcrap if you want to cook there. Get you're food headed in early, and hope for the best.

Here's another tip. Bring extra water jugs. They come by now and then with a trailer to fill you up, but when it gets crowded you don't see them much.

See you there! Minion will be with me in space 910.

Jeff_in_KC
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Doc and Minion together? Fark! That's an unfair advantage to the rest of us! :lol: Oh well, maybe I'll glaze with your sauce! :wink:

Solidkick
09-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Doc and Minion together? Fark! That's an unfair advantage to the rest of us! :lol: Oh well, maybe I'll glaze with your sauce! :wink:

Ummmmmmm.....grasshoppa.......I think I let you know that you'd be up against the Invitiational folks in the Open........while you're there, you might as well cook both events.......

Doc and JM.......planning on driving up to visit.....bring me some frickin' Bonesmokers this time!! LOL Just kidding!

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Yeah I know that, Kick... I was just razzin' them a bit.

Jeff_in_KC
09-07-2005, 08:08 PM
BTW Kick... be sure to stop by 537 and say hello if you're gonna be here!

Jeff_in_KC
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Here's another tip. Bring extra water jugs. They come by now and then with a trailer to fill you up, but when it gets crowded you don't see them much.

I thought someone (Wayne or Rod?) said no water this year at the Royal. I could be mistaken but I got about 17 -18 gallons worth of water containers to take it along with me just in case.

A few things came up after I got my packet that I was curious about and hoped someone could fill me in:

1. I see I did get electric as requested but they didn't say how many feet of cord I'd need to reach it. They said 12 guage and I have 25 feet. I can split it once I get it to my site but anyone know what to expect ballpark as to length I might need to get from the electric source to me?

2. They mentioned on the schedule check in for contestants beginning Thursday morning. I'm assuming Open contestants can check in any time after that? The original plan was for Friday morning but I'm now considering Thursday evening. This one may take a call to the AR to confirm my plans.

3. Noticed turn-in times for the Open are later than normal contests with brisket I believe being 2:30 pm. I entered sausage which is 3:00 pm. Then the awards presentation doesn't start until 7:00 pm. I plan to have everything broken down and packed obviously before 7:00. Anyone know what most teams do at the AR? I think they have parties and live bands playing all Saturday night too.

Only three weeks away and as of yesterday at lunch hour, I believe I have all my shopping done except for a couple of tarps for side walls on the canopy, contest meat and groceries! Even bought a cheap $3 wall clock to hang in the prep area so we can keep close tabs on our time. :wink:

MoKanMeathead
09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
1. I see I did get electric as requested but they didn't say how many feet of cord I'd need to reach it. They said 12 guage and I have 25 feet. I can split it once I get it to my site but anyone know what to expect ballpark as to length I might need to get from the electric source to me?

Last year at the AR we needed about 75 feet for extension cord. Some teams may only need about 10 or 15 feet. It all depends on how close to the electric pole you are.

2. They mentioned on the schedule check in for contestants beginning Thursday morning. I'm assuming Open contestants can check in any time after that? The original plan was for Friday morning but I'm now considering Thursday evening. This one may take a call to the AR to confirm my plans.

You can check in any time they are open for check-in. We will probably be there Thursday night so we can start cooking for Friday's party earlier in the morning on Friday.

Noticed turn-in times for the Open are later than normal contests with brisket I believe being 2:30 pm. I entered sausage which is 3:00 pm. Then the awards presentation doesn't start until 7:00 pm. I plan to have everything broken down and packed obviously before 7:00. Anyone know what most teams do at the AR? I think they have parties and live bands playing all Saturday night too.

The AR has some rules about when teams can pack-up and leave. I didn't see them in the packet so maybe they have changed from last year. I would say that most teams are packed up and leave after the awards. We stayed until Sunday am. last year and it was a ghost town.

They will come around with water tanks to fill your jugs and are usually very good about coming frequently. Now when they are really busy it may take a while but can always ask one of the volunteers to call the water truck. Remember, this year MOST of the volunteers and organizers are new so it may not run as smoothly as it has in the past.

Jeff_in_KC
09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Wayne! I am giving serious consideration to arriving after work on Thursday to get set up so that Friday morning isn't so freakin' hectic AND so I can rub meat sooner. I'm wondering if there will be meat inspectors available to Open contestants on Thursday evening. That would be great if so. Probably be by myself on Thursday night though. Hopefully I can find a spare hand to help with the canopy set-up.

As for leaving, I can picture a cluster-fark traffic jam getting outta there after the awards presentation. Lots of people jonesin' for a hot shower and comfortable bed! :wink:

drbbq
09-08-2005, 03:56 PM
They won't inspect open meat until Friday. The invitational teams would love it, but it won't happen.

The meat inspectors have always been pretty available, but there is a whole new crew of volunteers this year. I suspect everything will be fine, but it might be a little different.

Jeff_in_KC
09-08-2005, 04:03 PM
They won't inspect open meat until Friday. The invitational teams would love it, but it won't happen.

The meat inspectors have always been pretty available, but there is a whole new crew of volunteers this year. I suspect everything will be fine, but it might be a little different.

Yeah, that's what I hear, Doc! From what I can gather, if you want the way the Royal USED to be, enter the Great American BBQ Contest at the Woodlands Memorial Day weekend! :lol:

drbbq
09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Don't believe everything you hear.
I think the Royal will be just fine.

BrooklynQ
09-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Jeff - Just heard from Jerry Mullane (KCBS master Judge) that some teams at the Royal will have to walk over a mile thru 25,000 people to turn in their boxes!!!! Sounds like you need two runners! And no - I am not farking with you.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Jeff - Just heard from Jerry Mullane (KCBS master Judge) that some teams at the Royal will have to walk over a mile thru 25,000 people to turn in their boxes!!!! Sounds like you need two runners! And no - I am not farking with you.

I was kinda starting to guess that based on the map I've been studying. In looking at site sizes and putting two and two together, I was guessing at least half a mile if not longer so this news doesn't come as a total surprise. We got a great idea from Wayne yesterday... pizza delivery boy bags to keep turn-ins as warm as possible! Only we're going to get one of those casserole dishes that come with an insulated zip bag to keep them warm and use the bag from that. Small size should heat up quickly and stay warm, especially if we pre-heat 'em!

MoKanMeathead
09-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I agree with Ray, the AR should be OK - maybe some learning curve issues for some of the volunteers but they will get it figured out. The GAB this year was very much like the old AR though and I look for this contest to really grow in the next few years. Tracy Satterfield knows how to run a BBQ contest.

Jeff - you are no more than a 6 or 7 minute walk from turn-in, allow some time for standing in line - make it 10 minutes. We were about half way between turn-in and your spot last year - wasn't that bad.

Now if you come over and vist us and Squeal you might need to pack a lunch - its a hike. See you there - probably on Thursday night.