PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat in tennessee?

jimmyinsd
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
looking for some advice on local Q joints. i am flying into nashville next week and then driving down to chattanooga for a few days. anybody have any recommended places that i have to try when i am in the area?

razrbakcrzy
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Martin's Whole Hog BBQ in Nolensville, TN
Carl's Perfect Pig in White Bluff, TN
Hog Heaven BBQ Jack's BBQ in Nashville, TN
Robert Head's BBQ in Chapmansboro, TN
Hog Heaven BBQ in Nashville, TN
Dee's Q in East Nashville, TN (maybe closed now)
Odie's Famous BBQ (secret location)
Judge Bean's BBQ in Brentwood, TN
Neeley's Barbecue in Nashville, TN
Famous Daves in Nashville, TN
Whitts in Nashville, TN
Roosters in Nashville, TN

Take your pick some are run down holes in the wall and some a really nice it runs the gamut..

Dave Russell
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Whoa, Jim! That's quite a list, and I must say that I wouldn't vouch for ALL of the above. Martin is supposedly the best pitmaster 'round though, although we STILL haven't gotten down there to try his 'q. I know folks that have and say he's the man.

razrbakcrzy
02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Whoa, Jim! That's quite a list, and I must say that I wouldn't vouch for ALL of the above. Martin is supposedly the best pitmaster 'round though, although we STILL haven't gotten down there to try his 'q. I know folks that have and say he's the man.

Not vouching for any of them just giving places to try..."Variety is the spice of life" my friend....

I have eaten at all of these places, My Daughter used to play competive fast pitch softball and we played alot in and around Nashville and Memphis... I have found that eating BBQ is like looking at cars, motorcycles and Women, It depends what i'm in the mood for. One day it might be brunettes and Harley's, the next it might be redheads and Muscle cars and on Friday I might take anything I can get my hands on...:icon_smile_tongue:

deguerre
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
My experience at Martin's:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46951&stc=1&d=1288585809

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46953&stc=1&d=1288585809

As you can see, there was very little left...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46955&stc=1&d=1288585809

I really enjoyed the hospitality. The had run out of unsweetened tea and offered to brew some for me right quick but I decided to try the sweet tea anyway and was glad I did. The ribs were VERY good.

deguerre
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Also, if the Whitt's in Nashville is as good as the one in Decatur, AL, it's worth a visit to try the pork sandwich.

Avoid Neelys in Nashville at all costs!

Dave Russell
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Not vouching for any of them just giving places to try..."Variety is the spice of life" my friend....

I hear ya, although I'd skip Neely's, Famous Dave's, and Whitt's. They might turn out some good 'Q, but then again, maybe not. I've heard or read good things from probably all of the other middle Tennessee spots you list, though.

Judge Bean's and Rooster's are brothers and known for great brisket, and Martin's and Carl's Perfect Pig for their pork. I've actually had Jack's a few times down on Second Ave in the tourist part of town and it's pretty good most of the time. Love to say I've tried more on your list but since I'm married and love to 'Q you can guess why I can't!

tnjimbob
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Give me a couple days' notice and then come to my house when you are in town. I am 15 mins. east of the airport, and I've been told my 'que is pretty good. :mrgreen:

Martin's - absolutely!
Hog Heaven - been there a very loooong time. Try the smoked turkey sandwich with their white sauce.
Whitt's - not very smoky 'que, but they do have pork sandwiches on Wednesdays for $1.65 ea.
Jack's-downtown 'que. look for the three pigs neon sign on Broadway.
Mickey Roo's - Franklin. Ate there, played there when I was in a band. Mickey is as good a guy as they come.
Judge Bean's - good que. Related to Rooster downtown.
Rooster's-kinda out of the way, but worth looking for. Used to be Judge Bean's before he moved first to Nashville Sounds stadium, then to Brentwood (15 mins. south of downtown, 30 mins. SW of the airport).

Can't be of much help in Chattanooga.

Dave Russell
02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Also, if the Whitt's in Nashville is as good as the one in Decatur, AL, it's worth a visit to try the pork sandwich.

Avoid Neelys in Nashville at all costs!

Guerry, Whitt's is on every corner up here, so they evidently have their fans. However, I'd rather have North Carolina-style pork in North Carolina.

I had Neely's once a long time ago and would need my arm twisted to go back.

GOTTA get down to Martin's one of these days! Thanks for the pics!

deguerre
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I hear ya, although I'd skip Neely's, Famous Dave's, and Whitt's. They might turn out some good 'Q, but then again, maybe not. I've heard or read good things from probably all of the other middle Tennessee spots you list, though.

Judge Bean's and Rooster's are brothers and known for great brisket, and Martin's and Carl's Perfect Pig for their pork. I've actually had Jack's a few times down on Second Ave in the tourist part of town and it's pretty good most of the time. Love to say I've tried more on your list but since I'm married and love to 'Q you can guess why I can't!

Interesting about Whitt's. But, it all depends on each location's pit master too. Perhaps the one in Decatur has stiffer local competition in Bob Gibson's. As to Neely's...I couldn't eat more than a couple of the ribs from a half rack they were so bad.

razrbakcrzy
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I have been to both Neeley's in Nashville and Memphis i can say they weren't the worst I've ever had nor the best (notice the location in the list). I went to a small family style resturant in OKC with my uncle just raving about their BBQ sandwiches. So I ordered one, I swear it was frozen BBQ from SAM's Club and it cost $6.00. Now there I will never go back....atleast Neeley's cooks their own Q'

cameraman
02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd say a big no to Neely's, Whitt's, and Hog Heaven. Carl's and Martin's are about 30 min. outside of town. Carl's is oven roasted and finished on a grill. Still very good. I think Mary's may be my all time favorite sauce. We should have a Nashville area meet up sometimes.

deguerre
02-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I have been to both Neeley's in Nashville and Memphis i can say they weren't the worst I've ever had nor the best (notice the location in the list). I went to a small family style resturant in OKC with my uncle just raving about their BBQ sandwiches. So I ordered one, I swear it was frozen BBQ from SAM's Club and it cost $6.00. Now there I will never go back....atleast Neeley's cooks their own Q'

Can't say about the Neely's in Memphis, and perhaps the one in Nashville was having a bad day, and I DID forget to tell them I wanted them dry but still...does this even look appetizing?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46949&stc=1&d=1288585181

I was thinking they had been cooked off site and reheated at the shop.

markdtn
02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I lived in Nashville 13 years before I moved here and I would also highly recommend Judge Beans, especially the brisket. Wish I would have had this site when I lived there, never heard of some of those others.

Whitts is OK, kind of chain-like. They don't cook at any of the stores, it's all done at a central place and re-distributed. They used to have a pulled pork BBQ baked potato special on Wednesday lunch and we got them quite often from the Madison store. My wife likes the (vinegar) sauce and we buy it by the gallon. It's good on a PP potato.

Even though I live in Chattanooga, I have no places to recommend here. Used to like the 2 Pigs (owned by 2 policemen), but it went out of business. If you get a recommendation, I'd love to hear it too. Famous Daves is as good as I have found here. Smokey Bones has really good Brunswick Stew and "Buffique" wings, but the actual BBQ is fair at best. I do not recommend Sticky Fingers at all. If anyone has any good local places, I too would like to know about them.

jimmyinsd
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Can't say about the Neely's in Memphis, and perhaps the one in Nashville was having a bad day, and I DID forget to tell them I wanted them dry but still...does this even look appetizing?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46949&stc=1&d=1288585181

I was thinking they had been cooked off site and reheated at the shop.

thanks for the warning, that made my stomach lurch when i looked at it. :icon_sick

deguerre
02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Whitts is OK, kind of chain-like. They don't cook at any of the stores, it's all done at a central place and re-distributed. They used to have a pulled pork BBQ baked potato special on Wednesday lunch and we got them quite often from the Madison store. My wife likes the (vinegar) sauce and we buy it by the gallon. It's good on a PP potato.

True about the central cooking location. In Decatur though, there is a shop at the actual cook site (Some real nice pics here) and the other two locations get the food from there I guess. No different than coolering for a catering job though I'd think. The pit is located at the Spring Ave store.

http://www.whitts3.com/ordereze/Gallery/1/Photos.aspx

Dave Russell
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Interesting about Whitt's. But, it all depends on each location's pit master too. Perhaps the one in Decatur has stiffer local competition in Bob Gibson's. As to Neely's...I couldn't eat more than a couple of the ribs from a half rack they were so bad.

Not saying Whitt's is necessarily bad, just not a spot I'd recommend when there's other notable places to try. Like I said though, they have their fans.

A friend and former poster here did a great job on the pulled pork he did for my daughter's wedding reception back in December. However, the same bridesmaid (that had picked up some Whitt's the day before the ceremony when decorating because she can't eat pizza) confessed the following night that she liked Whitt's best...and let me tell ya, my friend did a good job. Some folks are just used to what they're used to...like vinegary pulled pork. I like it as well, but can really appreciate pork shoulder that needs no finishing sauce at all. Like the man said....variety....

deguerre
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Not saying Whitt's is necessarily bad, just not a spot I'd recommend when there's other notable places to try. Like I said though, they have their fans.

A friend and former poster here did a great job on the pulled pork he did for my daughter's wedding reception back in December. However, the same bridesmaid (that had picked up some Whitt's the day before the ceremony when decorating because she can't eat pizza) confessed the following night that she liked Whitt's best...and let me tell ya, my friend did a good job. Some folks are just used to what they're used to...like vinegary pulled pork. I like it as well, but can really appreciate pork shoulder that needs no finishing sauce at all. Like the man said....variety....

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, and given the choice I'd much rather drive the 40 miles or so south to Martin's if in Nashville (Which, in fact, I did - wish I'd had a big enough stomach for the combo platter). Heck, I'd even recommend Gibson's over Whitt's in Decatur, and Gibson's itself just ain't what it used to be. I did a Google search for a different thread and got over 930 locations for BBQ in and around North Central Alabama. There have to be some jewels in there but who's to know?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Another vote for Martin's in Nolansville, just south of Nashville.

Pappy Q
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Whitt's is good for a pork sandwich. It's kind of "fast food" BBQ but I ate it and enjoyed it 2-3 times a week when I lived there.

TRS
02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I live approx 1 mile from Martin's and Pat Martin does put out some good bbq. His specialty is whole hog. His place is exactly 16 miles south of the Bridgestone Arena downtown. It is right off Nolensville Pike. Worth the visit if you are in the area for sure.

bproffer
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
I ate at Jack's BBQ when I was in Nashville a few months back. I thought that it was good, but not great. Everyone around there recommended it. Their sauces were good though.

cameraman
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
^^^ What he said. If people want q and they want to stay downtown it's a decent choice.

glh17
02-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Martin's Bar-b-que Joint in Nolensville, about 20 miles south of Nashville, is real good. I've eaten there many times.

http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/

jimmyinsd
02-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I live approx 1 mile from Martin's and Pat Martin does put out some good bbq. His specialty is whole hog. His place is exactly 16 miles south of the Bridgestone Arena downtown. It is right off Nolensville Pike. Worth the visit if you are in the area for sure.

we'll give it a try. thanks!

jimmyinsd
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
made it too Martins, i got a sampler platter that consisted of spares, pulled pork and brisket, got beans and fries to ride along with it.

i will start with the beans- yep, they were nice and tangy, would definately do them again. the fries...well they are fries nothing more nothing less.

now onto the main event....the brisket was really tender, but was lacking in the flavor dept, it wasnt smokey, spicey, it kind of reminded me of meat that is held in a steamer or in water. (in fairness it was about 2:00 in the afternoon it could have been sitting around a while.)

the ribs... i ordered spares and got the trimmings, they were thin, and rather dry, (i hate rib tips. too much work for the results.) the saving grace on the rib tips was sauce which was really great. it was sweet with heat, but not so much heat that it over powered the flavors of the meat or rub. perfect sauce imo.

where Martins really got me is the pulled pork. that stuff was amazing, great flavor, and i have never had pork shoulder that tender. that was an A+ in my book.

while i was a little underwhelmed by the first two meats, the PP was enough for me to recommend the place to some others that were in the area and too make sure that i will give Martins another shot in the future.

thanks for the recommendation.