PDA

View Full Version : Sertoma 48 and Great Mall Comps..

djswagg
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm looking to enter into the Sertoma 48 in Lawrence KS and The Great Mall BBQ Comp in Olathe KS. Any info on these would be great... Not so much general info. I'm looking to hear from those who have been in these competitions before.

BC Squared
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Talked to some people who liked the Great Mall comp, but the heat and all the concrete about killed them!

HarleyEarl
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm entered in both this year.

I've done the Sertoma 48 numerous times and will continue. The payouts are low but the top ten get ribbons. The organizers are awesome, very friendly. The park setting is nice and plenty of room to set up. They don't have a lot going on Friday night but have a People's Choice Saturday (Brisket and Pork) where volunteers come by your site and pick up the pans. There is usually a handful if not more heavy hitters here and the competition is stiff. You'll want to get your app. in quick - it fills up fast. You might want to call to see if they still have any spots left before you cut the check.

As for the Great Mall BBQ - it will be my first year, but what I heard about it other than the heat it's a good contest. They moved the contest up so the heat won't be as big of a factor and they are expanding it from 60 to 100 teams. Should be fun.

Hope to see you at both.

Smokin Mike
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm entered in both this year.

I've done the Sertoma 48 numerous times and will continue. The payouts are low but the top ten get ribbons. The organizers are awesome, very friendly. The park setting is nice and plenty of room to set up. They don't have a lot going on Friday night but have a People's Choice Saturday (Brisket and Pork) where volunteers come by your site and pick up the pans. There is usually a handful if not more heavy hitters here and the competition is stiff. You'll want to get your app. in quick - it fills up fast. You might want to call to see if they still have any spots left before you cut the check.

As for the Great Mall BBQ - it will be my first year, but what I heard about it other than the heat it's a good contest. They moved the contest up so the heat won't be as big of a factor and they are expanding it from 60 to 100 teams. Should be fun.

Hope to see you at both.

Thanks Marc for the heads up , I heard of Sertoma 48, but never did it, I'll call ,,

I will see you this weekend!

HoDeDo
02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
The Sertoma 48 used to be full every year by now.... but with 3-4 other area comps on the same weekend, (St. Joe, Lansing, etc) it doesnt fill quite as quickly.

We've cooked it many times, I wish it would quit falling on top of others like St Joe and Lansing. They used to all be back to back... now are all on the same weekend.

So I switch them up. This year will be Lansing I think. Next year St. Joe, then back to Larryville again. Sandra runs a great event, so no worry going there.

Diva
02-20-2012, 10:21 PM
NO Andy!!! This is supposed to be the last year Tommy runs St. Joe......let's party!

djswagg
02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
There is also one in Belton MO that weekend. So if Sertoma is full, I'll have plenty of options