PDA

View Full Version : Pork loin for GBA

bbqbrad
02-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Can anyone give me a few pointers on what Georgia Barbecue Association judges look for in a pork loin box? Sauced? Slices,chunks, combo? And guidance would be appreciated!

Lake Dogs
02-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Brad, Good morning. We'll see almost anything come across the table. More often than not we'll see to rows of slices, perhaps sliced slightly thicker than a pencil, perhaps more like 1.5 pencils... 90% of the time tenderness wins this. We see sauced and unsauced, we see injected and uninjected, etc. I dont think any one way wins or loses. If you sauce, keep it to a minimum. Some line the bottom, FBA style if you will, with chunks.

The good news is that all of the judges are always CBJ's in GBA. 100%. Of these I'd say 80% are CBJ's in another sanctioning body or two. Most are MIM/MBN certified and have been judging for quite some time. As there is no garnish, I do suggest filling the box as best you can reasonably. Again, follow either the FBA types of techniques where they'll mimic the KCBS garnish with pulled or chopped meat, or the MBN style which is just a box full of meat; your best meat. Then again, this is just for presentation points which are weighted lower than tenderness and taste. Above average on taste and perfectly tender should get you in finals.

Best of luck. See you this weekend in Perry?

Pigs on Fire
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Brad,

It is totally up to you on what you want to put in the box. Get creative. As Lake Dogs said, the boxes are primarily filled with slices.

Cook the best you can and turn that in. Careful on the sauce if you use it...there was a pretty substantial DQ last year with regards to a puddle (in a pork box).

Good luck this weekend. We all need the weather to improve as it appears wind and thunderstorms are possible on Friday.

bbqbrad
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Since I know nothing, someone had suggested a fruity sauce. Is Georgia BBQ open to that? I wouldn't in KCBS... I have a cranberry-orange sauce...

DawgPhan
02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
if you figure out what is working for loin, let the rest of us know. I think that loin is one of the toughest meats to nail consistently.

Lake Dogs
02-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, how'd everyone do?

I got to judge Pork Loin, Pulled Pork, and Brisket. The Pork Loins were by far the best I've seen at any table, and of the 12 tables everyone pretty much said the same thing. The Pulled Pork was consistently the toughest I've seen in many years, perhaps ever. The 3rd entry at our table probably would've won at most any other contest. It was that good.

bbqbrad
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
I ended up cooking chicken and brisket. The chicken was a different brand taht I won't use again. But I got a call for 10th in brisket.

Lake Dogs
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
10th; well done! I think there was... about 54 briskets+-. Many of them were VERY good; meaning at least the top 25 were VERY good. Good job!!!

Pigs on Fire
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, how'd everyone do?

Don't really know outside of Loin, Pork, Ribs and Chicken.

There were 2 meat ancillaries along with 4 other ancillaries. I guess since you didn't get called in these, you don't need to know where you finished and the folks that paid to enter these aren't on a need-to-know basis.

Lake Dogs
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd call the promoter/organizer and see if she doesn't have those. I'd want to know the scores too...

AUBBQ
02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
We had an awesome time this weekend! The contest was packed out. I’d like to give a shout out to my partner Randy (aka Hoss) for 1st place in pork loin! We also took 2nd in pork and 8th in brisket. We’re going to get our team name straightened out for the next comp…They had us listed under 2 different names, Smokin Hoss for the GBA entries and Hicktown Hoss for the ancillaries.
I’m with you Pigs, I’d like to know where we finished on chicken as well.

Lake Dogs
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I judged both Pork Loin and Pulled Pork. I've never had pork loins that good at any GBA event, ever. The competition was STIFF STIFF STIFF. Then, in pulled pork, I dont recall EVER in any sanctioning body pulled pork entries that close/tough. We had 3 at our table alone that ordinarily might've won a competition. The table next to us had 4, and on the other side they also had 3 like this. The top 75% or so were TOUGH. It was a good day to be a judge, but I really felt for the competitors. Let me tell you, 1st and 2nd on this day, in those categories, you had a fantastic day!

The briskets were tough too. Lots of tough competition this day.

Congrats!!!!

Smokin'Swine
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
We got 7th in ribs, 4th in margarita.........our first calls! Had a blast, but I too would have expected to know how we did in all categories!

Smokin'Swine
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Because I know my dessert was a "1":biggrin1:

Hot Sauce Hoss
02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Great time at pigs and wings. Hicktown is a brisket cooking machine. Already
thinking about thomaston, smoke on the water and how to get better in chicken.
See yall soon.

Hoss

AUBBQ
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks Lake Dogs! We spoke to some of the judges after turn-ins and they told us the same thing. I was super excited, I knew pork would be a very tough category going in. Lots of good teams there this weekend.
Dessert…….I would love to judge desserts! When we went up for breakfast they hadn’t cleaned out all the desserts from the night before and some of them still looked good.

Smokin' 42
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Guys, I lurk here quite a bit, but I got to chime in on this one. We took Reserve Grand at the Pig's and Wings this past weekend. 1rst in pork, 8th in ribs and 9th in loin. We are truly humbled by our success this weekend. This is only the 4th contest we have competed in and only our 2nd sanctioned event. We are truly self taught backyard smokers, but we have learned how to produce a pretty nice product. Can you believe the pork loin we cooked was the first loin we have smoked on our Lang and maybe the 5th time I have ever smoked a loin. We had a blast and cannot wait to do it again!
For the original poster, our Loin was sliced about as described and sauced lightly on edges.

Smokin' 42 BBQ

BKBBQ
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Congrats y'all.I saw you pull in with that 48 and walked around some but didn't get a chance to meet you.thanks for cooking on a Lang.we cooked our loin on the 36 butts and ribs on the 84 and brad m.cooked on the new 60 that we seasoned friday nite.20th in loin 14th in pork and 30chicken something in ribs.not what we wanted but is what we got.hope to see you on the trail soon.great pics on the Lang facebook page also.we appreciate everyone cookin on a Lang.

Smokin' 42
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks! Actually we have the Lang 60, and a 36 at home. I recommend Lang to anyone that asks; we are extremely happy with it. We plan to attend all GBA events this year if possible. Stop by and say hello!

Lake Dogs
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/425477_10150592538228063_541738062_9363720_5466038 23_n.jpg

Congrats!!!! First, in Pork, on this day? AWESOME!!!!!

AUBBQ
02-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Congrats on reserve!!! Great job!!!