PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Texas BBQ association?

Uncle Willy
02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi all I'm new to the forums and wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself as well as post a question. I've been cooking bbq for about 6 years and like most backyarders have been told my bbq is "pretty good". So I'm gathering my supplies and plan to enter a few contests this year. I want to hear from all you guys who compete in Texas what your favorite BBQ association is and why. Also what are some of the big contests in Texas?

Candy Sue
02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
IBCA -- I'm a member of the SW Arkansas Pit and have competed in MS, LA, AR and TX of course. Even made it to Trader's Village several years ago. I like IBCA rules and especially the length of time between turn ins. I do get quite a bit of ragging 'cause of my role at KCBS, but I was RGC at an IBCA contest last year. Haven't been able to do squat at KCBS contests since I got on the board!

U2CANQUE
02-20-2012, 09:35 AM
I have cooked IBCA, Lonestar BBQ Society and Gulf Coast BBQ Society.....I had a lot of fun with each one, but, everyone with Lonestar BBQ Society welcomed me in and treated me well.....was disappointed that I could not go back this year to Austin

U2CANQUE
02-20-2012, 09:36 AM
IBCA -- I'm a member of the SW Arkansas Pit and have competed in MS, LA, AR and TX of course. Even made it to Trader's Village several years ago. I like IBCA rules and especially the length of time between turn ins. I do get quite a bit of ragging 'cause of my role at KCBS, but I was RGC at an IBCA contest last year. Haven't been able to do squat at KCBS contests since I got on the board!

Candy, are you sure that it was not because of the tumor on the back of your Jambo?:becky:

Candy Sue
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
The tumor was there at the IBCA contest too! It's only come off for IQue in North Little Rock couple of years back. I may have cooked stick wood in Hammond that year, but I can't remember that far back.

RangerJ
02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I've cooked IBCA, and Texas Gulf Coast, with a Lone Star on the horizon. I think you will find all put on well run competitions with very similar rules.

"Big" is a relative term. Most of the County Fair and Rodeo cookoffs are pretty large with regards to numbers.

Prize pots vary and it would do you good to research their websites and see who is paying out what and where.

One thing about Texas you can throw a rock in any direction on the weekend and find a cook off. Good luck!

Uncle Willy
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the responses. What I meant by big is either especially prestigious or high paying purses.

Q-Dat
02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
One thing about Texas you can throw a rock in any direction on the weekend and find a cook off. Good luck!

Man I wish that was the case here! Oh well maybe one day.....

thillin
02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
..Prize pots vary and it would do you good to research their websites and see who is paying out what and where.

Yep, I cook more IBCA than LSBS, but It might be due to scheduling and location. But I like having the options of where to cook.

Dustaway
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
They all are good orgs each one is slightly different in the Austin area look at lonestar and ctba. When you say big do you mean in size or prize money? Because the don't go hand in hand?

Smoke'n Ice
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Lone Star and IBCA have web sites with cookoffs etc. They are all good. There are three KCBS this year in TX, Bedford over labor day and the two sam's club events. The next IBCA is in Irving this weekend.

they do allow Pellet cookers at IBCA but we have to hide :oops: especially when we win.

Uncle Willy
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
How do y'all think the LSBS & IBCA contests stack up against KCBS in terms of the level of the teams cooking?

Smoke'n Ice
02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
that is a new subject. The best teams win at either one. :decision: