PDA

View Full Version : NY State Championship - Grillkings

BBQchef33
07-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Well

3 days to go. First St. Championship of the season. Am i psyched?

nope. :? :?

dunno why.. jsut aint into it yet.. havent done a thing to prep and all the stuff is still put away from the winter. Started makign a list,a nd sharon asked what the list on the fridge is for... Says it looks like Im planning a party. Lighting, music cd's, new stereo, tents, nothing referencing a competition..... all my planning so far is towards the party.. :? Go figure.

Got all my recipes in my head.. meat is covered. Trailer is in front of the house. Although i took off this week. Boss has not left me alone. Worked long hours both days. Think life is taking its toll and cant get into the spirit.. any words of wisdom? Guess im just in a wingin it mode.

Joined both the open and the main event... open is wings, pork chops and sauce. anyone got a good pork chop idea? i was thinkin carribean jerk marinade, BBQ over apple and cover with mango/red onion chutney.

parrothead
07-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Wild cherry chipotle may be interesting.

BrooklynQ
07-19-2005, 10:01 PM
I think you should just throw the pork chops to the dogs. I hate pork chops!

How bout some sort of take off on the dragon and phoneix chinese food routine. Except using pork chops and long island clams. You can get them right in the park fresh out of the great south bay.

The_Kapn
07-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Got all my recipes in my head.. meat is covered. Trailer is in front of the house. Although i took off this week. Boss has not left me alone. Worked long hours both days. Think life is taking its toll and cant get into the spirit.. any words of wisdom? Guess im just in a wingin it mode.
It is not like ya have not done this before :lol:
"Wing it" and go for the fun value!

You should be glad Rob is not judging Chops :wink:
I would do any pork flavor you are happy with--
I would consider a bit of spice in the meat and then counter it with:
Presentation with Apple Slices (dipped in citrus to preserve color), or Pineapple slices, or Cherries (sliced, diced, or whole).
All of those flavors go well with pork.
Some "greenery" for color contrast.

Just thoughts!

Have fun and do well.
And pics--we love pics--but you know that :lol: :lol:

TIM

Solidkick
07-20-2005, 05:25 AM
I like my pork chops fried........so I ain't no damn help!!

Go get 'em Poo........here's to a successful Brethren weekend.........

kcquer
07-20-2005, 05:50 AM
any words of wisdom?

From these guys, are you serious!!

Maybe you're not feeling the jitters because there's no reason for you too. Get it packed up, go do that voo-do that you do so well and take names later. Best of luck Boss!!

chad
07-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Words of wisdom?

Yeah, get off your ass and start sorting and packing.

At least, this weekend, your not driving to Asbury Park!!

Hup, hup -- up and at 'em!! Beware of the fuzzy bottles of apple juice! :D

jt
07-20-2005, 07:41 AM
We know you've got it covered, Phil. Although a list always helps prevent those "Oh crap! I forgot..." moments!

roknrandy
07-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Sometimes you've got to stop answering the phones and emails and just get out of the work mode so you can focus on vacation or the contest. When I was working the crap used to drive me nuts.

Elkhound
07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Smoked German (Kassler Rippchen) pork chop is my favorite. Get some about 2" thick and slow smoke them 'till they are so tender that you don't need a fork (may half to wrap about 3/4 of the way through the cook) Serve with Saurkraut or Red Cabage........woot, gotta go start some fried potatoes, I'm getting hungry.

jminion
07-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Pork chops I hope they are thick, about 1 1/2 to 2". If so you with a knife you cut a pocket in them almost to the bone. Fill the pocket with a blue chesse and bread stuffing and grill. Not a bad Idea to brine them first.

Good luck, do us proud!

spicewine
07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Are you going to charge in on your horse????

Jorge
07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
It has been a year already? I'll check turn in times so I know when/not to call :wink:

Greg, safe trip.

Best of luck to all of you. Life's a party, so make this a good one :D

Smoker
07-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Are the ribs done yet?

Bellybro
07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
I know what you mean Poo!

I have and am still out of town this week. It just doesn't seem to have stuck that we have a contest this weekend. I think because Belly2 and Kick are getting everything together this week. i will be home Thursday evening and we will start loading things. It will sink in then I'm sure!

BBQchef33
07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
well... i at least started.

I put 2 chairs in the trailer.
I got the butts.
I bought 100 tee shirts... maybe sell some to make up the entry fee. :)
I moved the bikes out of the way in the garage so I can get to the stuff.

Now all i have to do its figure out what I am cookin.

Trout_man22
07-21-2005, 05:46 AM

LMAO

Good luck you'll do great

jt
07-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Brisket, butts, ribs & chicken perhaps?

Ron_L
07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Here's a great pork chop recipe...

http://www.whitington.com/unclebubba/wing/porkchop/

It comes from The Embers restaurant in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. I've made it many times at home. The recipe is based on cooking in the oven, but it looks like it could be easily adapted to other methods.

Good Luck!

tommykendall
07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I think you should smoke some stuffed shrimp. Show'em what you got. :shock:

willkat98
07-21-2005, 09:53 PM
I think you should smoke some stuffed shrimp. Show'em what you got. :shock:

Then crisp them up on the gill a bit.

They'll love them..... I know we did.....burp.....cumin ****

parrothead
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm outta here. On my way.

brucesieg
07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
im stopping by later to help and find out what time we are meeting tomorrow

Neil
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Good luck brothers

icemn62
07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
I know you guys are on the road already by now, but I hope you have fun, be safe, and kick some smoking Butt, Brisket, Chicken and Ribs/ Good Luck and Enjoy, remember some of us are stuck at work and will be checking into the site to see how things are going.

willkat98
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Good luck Dr BBQ!

Dexgx01
07-22-2005, 09:11 PM
AHHH the old honeydoo list this week... I know what you mean there poo...

rbinms33
07-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Anybody heard from PooBah? I imagine things are starting to ramp up around there getting everything prepped and ready.

icemn62
07-23-2005, 06:27 PM
I was really hoping sonebody would have posted some kid of news today. They must be real busy

willkat98
07-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Unless Im wrong, Grillkings, although now KCBS sanctioned, is still a Saturday Sunday event. So Briskets and butts are on or about too, with the real time frame kicking in after tonights fire management course

icemn62
07-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Does anybody have an idea about when we can expect to hear about results?

jminion
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Turnins are done should be close to awards now.

Jorge
07-24-2005, 04:41 PM
4th overall

1st in pork
5th in brisket
top 10 I think in chicken
top 20 ribs.

DrBBQ took Grand Champion.

More to come from the Poobah.

Gongrats to DrBBQ, Phil, Parrothead, BrooklynQ, and anybody else I may have forgotten to mention.

Solidkick
07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Way to go brothers!! Proud of you!!

Greg also said on the phone when I talked to him that RBSNWNGS (Will)was 7th overall......

icemn62
07-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Congrats on a fine showing Bros.

nmayeux
07-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Congrats! Will there be any pics??
Noah

icemn62
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Congrats! Will there be any pics??
Noah

I am sure there will be some pics. They would not go off to compete and not take Pics, would they?

Ron_L
07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Great showing guys! Need pics...

kcquer
07-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Phil and Greg, Great Job Brothers!! Did you get to meet LI Craig?

Must have been the weekend for Brethren Pork!!

Trout_man22
07-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Well done, Congrats

MrSmoker
07-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Congrats "Brothers in Smoke"

t-bone49
07-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Congatulations to all you guys who competed yesterday and thanks for all the great bbq! First event I've been to. Had the opportunity to meet, chat and eat with Phil, Parrothead and others (bad at names). Barbara, Phil's wife, was promoting and selling Brethren logo t-shirts,, snapping lots of pics. Fine lady, smiling, real easy to talk with. Thougt she was a model hired for the day! Phil, You're a lucky man bro!. Great time, good people. Phil's brisket, ribs were excellent. He won 1st place for his pork, the only thing I didn't try. Came home, hopped in the pool, took a quick snooze and blasted out on the Hog for a trip out to Pt Jeff. So full, didn't eat the rest of the day! When's the next one????
Tom :D

Neil
07-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Congratulations to all our brothers out there on a job well done both in MO and NY. We WANT PICS!

Ron_L
07-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Barbara, Phil's wife, was promoting and selling Brethren logo t-shirts,, snapping lots of pics. Fine lady, smiling, real easy to talk with. Thougt she was a model hired for the day! Phil, You're a lucky man bro!.

I thought Phil's wife was Sharon, or am I confused? Or... does Phil have two wives? :D

parrothead
07-25-2005, 09:16 AM
A big thanks to all of the help that we had cleaning up. Mel and smoker, that was invaluable, and great getting to spend some time with you.

Bruce, Brooklyn, Paul, Phil, greast teaming up with you! What a great time!

All the other brethren that stopped by and said hi, nice to meat you. Wish I could have had more time to chat.

More later, trying to catch up.

BellyBrotherII
07-25-2005, 09:38 AM
WAY TO GO Brothers!!!! We are so proud of you guys!
Gongrats to DrBBQ, Phil, Parrothead, BrooklynQ "Brothers In Smoke"! We need Pics as soon as you can!

BellyBrotherII
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
The BBQ Brethren Make the News: Check link
http://columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=15031

Trout_man22
07-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Congratulations to all our brothers out there on a job well done both in MO and NY. We WANT PICS!

Why? Just to prove that pictures can be posted? :lol:

t-bone49
07-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Told ya in the last post i was bad remembering names! Sharon was lovely! Barbara was a lady I met who runs her own fishing charter boat out of Mt. Sinai. Can outfish most of the guys. For you local LI guys she can be contacted through http://www.noreast.com/homepage/index.
She posts as 1moredrift and is a moderator. I keep meeting all these great women, but they're all married. Damn!!! This is a link to her webpage. http://www.noreast.com/listings/view.cfm?type=charterboats&region_ID=0&id=414&subregion_ID=9
Maybe I should start smoking fish. ANyone ever do striped bass?

brucesieg
07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
it was a great experience for me to compete on the same team as phil,rob,greg and paul. it was a pleasure and hope to it again soon. and i dont care what anyone thinks we should of one chicken also it was farking great. we did learn however that brooklyn q is phils long lost twin.

spicewine
07-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Congrats to all!!! I know you all had a great time!! We had our Brethren Banners flying proudly!!

Neil
07-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Why? Just to prove that pictures can be posted? :lol:

Thanks for a good laugh Trout. And to asnwer your question, YES!

drbbq
07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
It was great seeing Phil again, and meeting all the rest of you. I had a GREAT weekend!!

Smoker
07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Well what can I say. I registered last week on the website. I showed up at GrillKings on Saturday and introduced myself to Brooklyn, parrothead and Phil and Paul. It didn't take 30 seconds and they were shoving wings and pork chops in my face. I went back to the car, grabbed a few fold up chairs and a cooler full of cold drinks and sat down with "the Brethren". Everyone was so friendly. I stayed for 4 hours untill it was time to go pick up the wife at work. I left the chairs and cooler there overnight for everyone else to use. I came back Sunday with the wife and helped with whatever I could. Soon I was handing out pork to a line that never ended.(I swear some people were getting a piece and going back to the end of the line). It was a thrill to see Phil and the gang win. The wife and I stayed till the end and then we helped break everything down.

What a GREAT bunch of people. If you haven't tried competing, give it a try. Hard work but you will have a great time and meet some great people.

Phil, give Sharon a big thanks for chatting up my wife. My wife is very quiet but everytime I looked over to check on her Sharon was keeping her involved. That meant alot to me.

You guys haven't seen the last of me.

Steve

BrooklynQ
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Right now, I'm listening to R.E.M's "everybody hurts sometimes." God, everything hurts right now. But it's a good hurt and I'm ready to do it again on Friday.

What can I say? It was another incredible weekend. Phil, Greg, Paul, Bruce, Steve and all the other Brethren made this a great weekend to be with the brothers.

Phil is now a minor celebrity on Long Island. I must have heard from at least 100 people that they came out to the contest because of his article in the paper. And I must have heard from at least 50 others, "I saw you in the paper." Contrary to popular opinon, I DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHIL. I'm much better looking. :wink:

And the best part is we walked. I don't think that any of us expected to. Unlike the other teams, when they called the Brethren - Brothers in Smoke up for pork, the entire team went up on the platform. There wasn't enough room for us. I hope someone got a picture of that.

See you in New Jersey for next weekend's battle.

chad
07-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Any chance someone can post the actual results? :D

icemn62
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Well what can I say. I registered last week on the website. I showed up at GrillKings on Saturday and introduced myself to Brooklyn, parrothead and Phil and Paul. It didn't take 30 seconds and they were shoving wings and pork chops in my face. I went back to the car, grabbed a few fold up chairs and a cooler full of cold drinks and sat down with "the Brethren". Everyone was so friendly. I stayed for 4 hours untill it was time to go pick up the wife at work. I left the chairs and cooler there overnight for everyone else to use. I came back Sunday with the wife and helped with whatever I could. Soon I was handing out pork to a line that never ended.(I swear some people were getting a piece and going back to the end of the line). It was a thrill to see Phil and the gang win. The wife and I stayed till the end and then we helped break everything down.

What a GREAT bunch of people. If you haven't tried competing, give it a try. Hard work but you will have a great time and meet some great people.

Phil, give Sharon a big thanks for chatting up my wife. My wife is very quiet but everytime I looked over to check on her Sharon was keeping her involved. That meant alot to me.

You guys haven't seen the last of me.

Steve

Welcome to te family, seems like you may be hooked.

BBQchef33
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
sory ladies.. results are on the way with al ong winded post. Had to work today, and spent the night taking everything off the trailer, pressure washing it and reloading. half is still out on the driveway. Robs right.. everything hurts. Arthritis in the knees and standing on blacktop for 20 hours just does not go well together. Will post in a few. But final strandings.

4th overall

1st in pork
5th in brisket
12 in chicken
17 in rib(choked on that one)
4th in sauce (congrats Greg!)

open event. 10 in pork chops.

and notice this.

1st..... Dr BBQ.. A Brethren
4th Brothers in Smoke.. A brethren
5th Big Island BBQ .... A Brethren (nycbbq)
7th I love smoke -n-lightening.. A brethren (Rbsnwings).

4 of the top 10.... are one of us. :twisted: Fear the Pig!

We may be plagued with the curse of 4th place. 3 fourth place overall in a row... but this time in front of us were Ray Lampe in 1st, Dirty Dick in 2nd, Philly Pigs Pro BBQ in 3rd.. and then us. Coming in 4th out of 36 against those guys is fine with me. Daisy Mays BBQ was suposed to be the team to beat, but they took 16th.

Had a great time, the best yet.. Will follow up with details.

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Congrats, Mr. Poo! Great showing! Hey, how long does it take to get a Brethren team banner made up?

BBQchef33
07-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Congrats, Mr. Poo! Great showing! Hey, how long does it take to get a Brethren team banner made up?

i put the order in every tuesday they go out the following day.

parrothead
07-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Holy Crap! Just checked grill kings website. 4th in sauce. Cool!

Kevin
07-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Big Congrats, "Fear the Pig" indeed!

Kevin

nucleargeek
07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Great job brothers. We are all proud of you.

t-bone49
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Trying to send a link to Newsday article with pics of weekends festivities. First attempt at link. Here goes...http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-libbq25,0,1973135.story?coll=ny-li-mezz

Ron_L
07-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Holy Crap! Just checked grill kings website. 4th in sauce. Cool!

So... Did you get all of the secrets so we can use them at Peoria?

parrothead
07-26-2005, 10:21 AM

I already knew that. Don't experiment! Like Phil did with the mustard on the ribs. Farking nasty!

BBQchef33
07-26-2005, 12:42 PM
thats wasnt an experiment, it was intentional... it was the express rubbing that messed them up.. and gee.. ya think the grease fire in the pit may have had something do with the bitterness? We forgot about that.
:wink:

Bellybro
07-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Congrats to all of the brothers competing in the east last weekend. You made us proud!!!!!

t-bone49
07-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Are there any other pictures posted yet from the LI Grill Kings competition other than the link I sent in to the newspaper article and pics? I know that Sharon was snappin away on her digital camera. How long before pictures show up and where, other than this forum?
Thanks,
Tom
Also, who's going to Asbury Park this coming weekend? :D

frognot
07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Trying to send a link to Newsday article with pics of weekends festivities. First attempt at link. Here goes...http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-libbq25,0,1973135.story?coll=n[/b]y-li-mezz

Thanks for the link, t-bone! My favorite quote was:

Lightning struck Phil Rizzardi of Nesconset, a barbecue hobbyist whose team, BBQ Brethren, competed for the first time at last year's Grill Kings. This year they took fourth place overall and first prize in pork.

FEAR THE PIG!

icemn62
07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Fear the Pig indeed! This is the kind of stuff that makes you hold your head up high.

parrothead
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Are there any other pictures posted yet

When Phil gets a chance. I don't have any myself.

parrothead
07-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Another great lesson learned. Do not worry about ancillary turn-ins of they interfere with your schedule of prepping meat for the big four. Grill Kings had 3 categories the day before that we entered. After we finally finished with turn-in and sat down to relax, we rrealised that we should have been brining and marinating stuff for the previous 4 hours instead of messing with the other stuff. Not to mention the amount of energy put out messing with them. I have been to other events that may have a turn in or two the night before, but the afternoon before is not the right time. A friday night anything but category can be what you were prepping for dinner anyway. Sauce isn't bad, not time consuming or pitwork demanding.

Sausage on the day of was simple my last time out and required no thought.

If anyone has chances at some of these extra turn-ins, think about what it will detract from the real reason that you are there.

BrooklynQ
07-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Another great lesson learned. Do not worry about ancillary turn-ins of they interfere with your schedule of prepping meat for the big four. Grill Kings had 3 categories the day before that we entered. After we finally finished with turn-in and sat down to relax, we rrealised that we should have been brining and marinating stuff for the previous 4 hours instead of messing with the other stuff. Not to mention the amount of energy put out messing with them. I have been to other events that may have a turn in or two the night before, but the afternoon before is not the right time. A friday night anything but category can be what you were prepping for dinner anyway.

Sauce isn't bad, not time consuming or pitwork demanding.

If anyone has chances at some of these extra turn-ins, think about what it will detract from the real reason that you are there.

I think the real distraction was the amount of people poking their nose in because of the Newsday article. Without the constant interuptions, I think we could have handled the extra turn-ins and all the brining and marinading etc. Bruce had the right idea of setting up barriers keeping people at bay until he was done with the work. Dr. BBQ had the same sort of setup.

jminion
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
One of the problems of becoming well known is people want to meet and talk with you, it can be a double edged sword. Try to have someone in the group deal with these well meaning folks is the best way to handle it. You can make it work.

Mords
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Well, it was good that when i saw Phil i said a quick hello and ran......he might have decked me if i stayed any longer.....at the next LI comp or any other semi local comp i do not mind being the PR bitch!!! Cant come on saturday but sunday i would have no problem hangin with you..(prob would learn a tremendous amount) and would be more than happy to aanswer all those folkss questions...maybe i would even get a pic in newsday....mmm..

BBQchef33
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
We will be at ribfest in Highland if ya wanna come visit. 8) About 1.5 hours North of NYC.