PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. NKC MO State Championship BBQ, March 9-10, NKC, Mo

luckyduk
02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Haven't seen one for this yet....

We are sending app in this weekend

Who else?

4 smokin butts
02-17-2012, 10:45 PM
ok were in quiet gen and all

Smokin Mike
02-18-2012, 12:00 AM
good luck and bring your own power!

Rookie'48
02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
If it's anything like the last two years, you'd better bring your own porta-pot also. I won't be there this year, that's my only weekend off that month

bover
02-18-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm not going to be there but I did hear that the Rotary Club has someone new organizing the event so hopefully there are some improvements this year.

Good luck to all who participate!

Smokin' Hicks
02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
if you are going make sure to tie your stuff down, and be prepared for the big 10% CBJ turnout ....was our first comp. we ever did last year and in my opinion was so poorly run and organized that we figured if all the comps. are like this, which none are that i have experienced, we are going to be done with the comp. world quick. Turns out this comp. was the exception to the rule and all others we have done have been AWESOME

BC Squared
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Hmmm , was considering, but sounds like maybe it's not such a great idea!

BBQ_Mayor
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Haven't seen one for this yet....

We are sending app in this weekend

Who else?

I'm surprised your going to this train wreck.:shocked::crazy:

pat
02-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Train wreck and all....I'll be there.

Lazy H
02-18-2012, 08:23 PM
this sounds bad :/

BBQ_Mayor
02-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Train wreck and all....I'll be there.

you are a train wreck...:becky:

pat
02-18-2012, 09:06 PM
we shall see :tongue:

4 smokin butts
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
our understanding is there are more cbjs than last,alot,due to a class

luckyduk
02-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm surprised your going to this train wreck.:shocked::crazy:
The only reason I am going so that the old man can see the little guy....he lives in Wichita.....otherwise I swore this comp off.....

luckyduk
02-18-2012, 10:24 PM
you are a train wreck...:becky:

Agreed!!

Smokin' Hicks
02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't believe the more CBJ thing at all....last year i seen the percentage drop every week till comp. time then the site said 40% CBJ comes to find out on Saturday that the actual percentage was more like 10%....just what i didn't want for our first comp. ....my food to be judged by a bunch of radio DJ's and "local celebrities" or eventually what it came down to was, "hey,buddy we need 8 more judges...you hungry?"

thenewguy
02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Agreed!!
Can I get an "amen".....

HarleyEarl
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I've cooked it three times and each time I told myself I would never go back, but after last year, I'm sticking to my guns. Between the lack of CBJ's, poor organization, loud generators, not getting score sheets after more than an hour of delay for the awards, and the over-flowing, puke filled, port-a-pots that never get cleaned out or restocked with toilet paper, in addition to all the drunken a-holes bumbling around after the parade, there is no way I will ever go back unless I hear glowing reports over a few years (which I believe is highly doubtful).

Good luck to all who are brave enough to attend this contest, my hat's off to you.

EarlyBird
02-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I've cooked it three times and each time I told myself I would never go back, but after last year, I'm sticking to my guns. Between the lack of CBJ's, poor organization, loud generators, not getting score sheets after more than an hour of delay for the awards, and the over-flowing, puke filled, port-a-pots that never get cleaned out or restocked with toilet paper, in addition to all the drunken a-holes bumbling around after the parade, there is no way I will ever go back unless I hear glowing reports over a few years (which I believe is highly doubtful).

Good luck to all who are brave enough to attend this contest, my hat's off to you.

My feelings also. Skipped last year and will be doing the same this year. The only reason people go to this contest is because it is the first one of the year and they are having contest withdraws.

mobow
02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Communication with judges was so poor last year trying to find out if he needed judges that I won't ever judge it again much less try to cook it. Keith

Diva
02-19-2012, 09:47 PM
If people want to get together and cook in a relaxed atmosphere, enjoy a Friday night taco dinner and get to help smoke pork for Harvesters come out to Kookers Kare March 23-24. Www.KookersKare.com to sign up.

BBQ_Mayor
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't believe the more CBJ thing at all....last year i seen the percentage drop every week till comp. time then the site said 40% CBJ comes to find out on Saturday that the actual percentage was more like 10%....just what i didn't want for our first comp. ....my food to be judged by a bunch of radio DJ's and "local celebrities" or eventually what it came down to was, "hey,buddy we need 8 more judges...you hungry?"

I know at least 3 CBJ's, myself included, were not even contact to judge even though we registered. Couldn't even get a hold of the guy.

barnburner
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Between the lack of CBJ's, poor organization, loud generators, not getting score sheets after more than an hour of delay for the awards, and the over-flowing, puke filled, port-a-pots that never get cleaned out or restocked with toilet paper, in addition to all the drunken a-holes bumbling around after the parade, there is no way I will ever go back unless I hear glowing reports over a few years (which I believe is highly doubtful).

Amen brother...I judged this for the first time last year and I will never go back even if they did do a complete 180. I've judged over 100 contests all over the country and that was the most unorganized contest I've ever seen or been a part of. Save your time and money and cook elsewhere.

arrowhead
02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
i've tried for 2 years to get signed up to judge. after reading thru these posts, i'm glad i was ignored. nkc is scratched from my list.

BC Squared
02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Wondering how it continues to get sanctioned??

HarleyEarl
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Heck, last year they were presented with an award from KCBS. That move left more than a few of us scratching our heads in disbelief.

worthsmokin
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
We will be there. I heard they are expecting 130 teams this year. We shall see

Balls Casten
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
see ... I look at it a differnt way. If you good cooks are upset with the judging ... then I figure I have a better chance of winning. As well if Dirty Pig is entering I wont finish last! (let the missed pork turn-in jokes fly) For these reasons we will attend. That and its the only free weekend in March we have to cook.

pat
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
As well if Dirty Pig is entering I wont finish last! (let the missed pork turn-in jokes fly)

:tape::hand:

Rookie'48
02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
(let the missed pork turn-in jokes fly) .

:oops: :oops: :oops:

kcmike
02-22-2012, 02:47 AM
I'll be there walking around visiting folks, so holler at me if you'd like me to bring by some Oakridge BBQ samples. :thumb:

Smokin' Hicks
02-22-2012, 05:46 PM

all you half to do is apply to get sanctioned and thats it....maybe the KCBS board should see the aftemath and listen to it on how this comp. is and not embarrass themselves by giving an award to a comp. that nearly all the cooks say they will never be back to.....is there any sort of follow up by the KCBS to see how an event went or if there were problems with it...i would think every time they sanction a comp. there name is on it and would want the best outlook on their organization....but that is not how it is just give me the check and we will sanction you.......i could be totally off base on this but this is the perception of how the KCBS does business and unfortunately alot of time perception is considered reality in this messed up world...and just so this doesn't sound like its all negative that i wrote (just with the NKC comp.) every other comp. we have done since then has been organized very well...i would just think that if they kept hearing this stuff about this one comp. they would not deal with them anymore, just makes the KCBS look bad IMO

HarleyEarl
02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the issue is that the NKC comp has been around for ages and KCBS loves the loyalty. Also with NKC, I think they gave up giving a chit years ago. Having an early contest in the KC area will always draw teams so they can have a 100+ team contest and give awards as if it's a 20-50 team contest, but still give a crap about the teams (in addition to my comments above, they don't even contact the last year's teams about entering this year). When one team leaves another will always replace it. What we need is another cooker friendly, well organized contest either a week before or after NKC in the KC area and you will see entries drop. Teams are just jonesing for a contest after the winter break and NKC seems to be it. There are the Great Bend, KS and Columbia, MO contests next weekend which are great contests, but those are both 2+ hour drives and many teams wont go that far to get the dust off the smokers. I personally will be going to Columbia and I know there are quite a few Brethren going to either of these. Rant over....

2sonsandthebigguy
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I'll be there walking around visiting folks, so holler at me if you'd like me to bring by some Oakridge BBQ samples. :thumb:
We will be at nkc contest would like to get some samples to try your rub please stop by and bring some samples. thanks

This Is How We Que It
02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I think the issue is that the NKC comp has been around for ages and KCBS loves the loyalty. Also with NKC, I think they gave up giving a chit years ago. Having an early contest in the KC area will always draw teams so they can have a 100+ team contest and give awards as if it's a 20-50 team contest, but still give a crap about the teams (in addition to my comments above, they don't even contact the last year's teams about entering this year). When one team leaves another will always replace it. What we need is another cooker friendly, well organized contest either a week before or after NKC in the KC area and you will see entries drop. Teams are just jonesing for a contest after the winter break and NKC seems to be it. There are the Great Bend, KS and Columbia, MO contests next weekend which are great contests, but those are both 2+ hour drives and many teams wont go that far to get the dust off the smokers. I personally will be going to Columbia and I know there are quite a few Brethren going to either of these. Rant over....

Don't forget about P. Hill. Good contest!

HarleyEarl
02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Don't forget about P. Hill. Good contest!

Already signed up for it...Jeff & Stan run a top notch contest.

pat
02-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm really only going in hopes of finding those pickles again! :becky:

pat
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Anyone have more info about the pickles?? :roll: :wink:

Balls Casten
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
90+ teams again

Sunny and 60 degrees friday / few showers and 45 on saturday

smknwhlswife
03-09-2012, 12:08 AM
We might come up and walk around, just depends on how long the BIL's wedding rehearsal dinner takes.

Bunny
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Rich and I went out last night and gave a CBJ class. Good class, too!! So expect more CBJ's this year. I know quite a few were already signed up to judge Saturday. Looked like a lotto cookers were also ready and geared up on Thursday night. Have fun out there, ya all.:thumb: