PDA

View Full Version : Speed Ribs (Rib Cook-off)

SirPorkaLot
02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
So....it appears i am moving from NC to NorCal, have joined the CBBQA and am looking forward doing some comps out here this year.

For the first one I decided to do a little local charity rib contest called: First Annual Relay for life Backyard BBQ Rib Challenge. This is being held at Fat City Driller Supply in Stockton, CA.

Went and signed up at lunch today. Here is the cook schedule for your enjoyment.

Cook's meeting: 8:00am (they are supplying 3 racks of ribs at this meeting to each team)
Start Cooking: 8:30am
Turn-ins: 1:00pm

:wacko:

Really?? 4.5 hours to prep & cook ribs???

So I asked the dude at the counter....how does that timelime work?

he says it's real easy. I cook ribs in my BGE at 220F for 3.5 hours, and they are real tender. :loco:

I am now wondering if they will parboil all the ribs for us beforehand....

boogiesnap
02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
325* for 2 hours, 1 hour in foil...you'll have all the tenderness you want.

from the ribs anyway. :becky:

SirPorkaLot
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
325* for 2 hours, 1 hour in foil...you'll have all the tenderness you want.

from the ribs anyway. :becky:

Right...but he claimed 220F for 3.5 hours, and he teaches classes for BGE owners at the shop this too.

So I have never tried it, but if ribs are foiled the whole time...maybe you could cook a rack of ribs at 220F in 3.5 hours...maybe.

Insert curse words here____________________

Insert snarky remark about Hot & Fast and the decline of BBQ here:___________________

:biggrin1:

kihrer
02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
he says it's real easy. I cook ribs in my BGE at 220F for 3.5 hours, and they are real tender. :loco:

I am now wondering if they will parboil all the ribs for us beforehand....

Maybe they're baby backs. Still, 220F seems a little low for the timeline. I can do BB's at 250 in 3.5 hours.

SirPorkaLot
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Maybe they're baby backs. Still, 220F seems a little low for the timeline. I can do BB's at 250 in 3.5 hours.

Good thought...I almost ALWAYS cook spares, very rarely cook baby back ribs, as they run 4.99/lb vs the 1.99/lb for spares, and I tend to like spares better anyways.

boogiesnap
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Right...but he claimed 220F for 3.5 hours, and he teaches classes for BGE owners at the shop this too.

So I have never tried it, but if ribs are foiled the whole time...maybe you could cook a rack of ribs at 220F in 3.5 hours...maybe.

Insert curse words here____________________

Insert snarky remark about Hot & Fast and the decline of BBQ here:___________________

i love "claims".

go show 'em how it's done. :mrgreen:

Bbq Bubba
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Concord to Cali?

WTF you know about ribs anyways? :)

SirPorkaLot
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Concord to Cali?

WTF you know about ribs anyways? :)

Apparently very little....but I'm willing to learn.

So it is customary to parboil ribs before of after your grill them at 400F?

:rolleyes:

deguerre
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Crap John. You just sucked me into commenting in the Comp section. Hope your proud. WTF is up with Moving to NorCal? Thought that was a temporary thing.

SirPorkaLot
02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Crap John. You just sucked me into commenting in the Comp section. Hope your proud. WTF is up with Moving to NorCal? Thought that was a temporary thing.

It is "temporary"..just a little longer "temporary" than I first imagined.

It looks like 2.5 years, so I figured i should bring my stuff out, and by stuff i mean family :biggrin1:

txschutte
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Still awaiting Bubba's answer.

boogiesnap
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM

aw man, i didn't mean it like that....:icon_blush:

Market Hunter
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Concord to Cali?

"I'm going back to Cali...Cali...Cali...I going back to Cali.....hmm..I don't think so."

If you've got 3.5 hours to cook them ribs @225F (with a 1 hour prep, drinking, boxing and walking to turn in added in), you may want to trim 'em as thin as possible. smoke 2 hours and foil the rest. Dunk'em in some sawce as thick as motor oil to make them look better. Finally, hope the judges eat McDonalds a lot.

Good luck!

Bbq Bubba
02-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Still awaiting Bubba's answer.

Common sense dictates that if u grill before boiling your gonna mess up your bark?

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Common sense dictates that if u grill before boiling your gonna mess up your bark?

Ahh good point.

It is an open cooker event, maybe I should just bring a pressure cooker.
Tenderize them babies up and put a nice char on the outside after.

Thanks for the help!

Bbq Bubba
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Ahh good point.

Thanks for the help!

That would be in keeping with Cali BBQ tradition i believe. :boxing:

colonel00
02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Ahh good point.

Thanks for the help!

You can borrow my Crock Pot BBQ Pit if you want :becky: Just stop by on your way west :thumb:

http://uncrate.com/p/crock-pot-bbq-pit.jpg

DerrickG
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Sir Pork a Lot...why are you talking so much ****...man up and cook it.

Why do you spout off about par boiling and posting crap about the judges...this is your FIRST fawking contest at Fat City Grillers Supply and you don't know crap about it or who the judges are.
I know there has been a CBJ and experienced judges there as well.

It's a BACKYARD EVENT! RELAX

Instead of opening your mouth on a public forum about a place you have only been to once to sign up for a contest, take a little time to listen to them, they may have some more knowledge than you think.
If you bitch so much about it, why did you even bother signing up?

If a 14 year old can figure it out well, maybe you can.

BruceB
02-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Why do you spout off about par boiling and posting crap about the judges...this is your FIRST fawking contest at Fat City Grillers Supply and you don't know crap about it or who the judges are.

Instead of opening your mouth on a public forum about a place you have only been to once to sign up for a contest, take a little time to listen to them, they may have some more knowledge than you think.

I guess he told you!

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Apparently you misread my initial post.
I am simply inquiring how your farkin Californians cook ur ribs in 4.5 hours including prep, boxing and turn-ins.

There has been some great advice from foiling to baby backs.
Your post however offers nothing of value, but thanks for playing along.

Sounds like you could use a batch of chill pills and a sense of humor.

This was all tongue in cheek, if the rules were to state 2 hours I'll produce ribs in 2 hours, makes no difference to me.
Won't stop me from making fun of it though.

There was nothing in my post regarding judges, I have no idea who is judging and don't care, I am doing this because it is for a charity
I support, it will be fun and i get
to meet some local cooks.

Hopefully I'll see you there, and maybe I can learn speed ribs from you.

Cheers

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 12:30 PM
And Derrick one more thing. Does backyard event in capital letters imply somehow that ribs cook differently in a backyard event?

Just curious, still learning west coast Q ya know.

bbq lover
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
john how long does a NC cook need to cook tender ribs?

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
john how long does a NC cook need to cook tender ribs?

Heck I could probably get tender ribs at 3 hours, if I foiled in liquid most of the way, but that would be braising not barbecuing.

I don't typically use any foil on my ribs and I cook untrimmed spares.
I have seen them take anywhere from 4 hours to 6 hours with temps from 275F - 220F.

Earlier it was posted that maybe they are giving out trimmed baby backs, which to be honest hadn't occurred to be because baby backs are so darn expensive back in NC I never buy them.

I don't have a clue how long baby back ribs take.

There are too many variables to give you a specific answer.

Are the ribs trimmed or whole slabs?
Spares or baby backs? Strong winds and rain or beautiful sunny day?

Perfect conditions with baby backs?? Not a clue.

:becky:

I don't claim to know it all, and learn new things every day, but I am a big fan of preserving the traditions of BBQ, and foil on ribs is not in my traditional spectrum.

R2Egg2Q
02-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I knew I saw a video on this event from last year. I just watched it again here (http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/5516704-stockton-rib-cook-off/) and they show someone's ribs at around the 2 minute mark and they were spares.

bbq lover
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't claim to know it all, and learn new things every day, but I am a big fan of preserving the traditions of BBQ, and foil on ribs is not in my traditional spectrum. I have to agree with you but in a KCBS IBCA MBN and backyard events that you are being judged you cook for the judges I never cook and sauce the 4 meats at home the way I do at comps.so in short I for one will foil if needed since its a comp.. I will cook for the judges not me lol

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 01:42 PM
in a KCBS IBCA MBN and backyard events that you are being judged you cook for the judges I never cook and sauce the 4 meats at home the way I do at comps.so in short I for one will foil if needed since its a comp.. I will cook for the judges not me lol

I agree 100%.

I think somehow it may have been interpreted that I was complaining about this event behind the organizers back.
I was teasing about the timeframe cause it's a little silly IMHO, but it is nothing me and the owner didn't stand around a jaw about for a bit while I was in the store.

This particular contest has two sets of judges, the official judges and the people's choice component.
Hopefully I can please some of them with my new concoction:
California Speed Ribs

Now I'm off to go work on the asparagus and avocado BBQ sauce

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I knew I saw a video on this event from last year. I just watched it again here (http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/5516704-stockton-rib-cook-off/) and they show someone's ribs at around the 2 minute mark and they were spares.

Is that the same video where the local news station was promoting a rib cook off and kept showing a pork butt in a BGE?

:tsk:

landarc
02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I will teach you SirPorks, I can do it all. of course, I am not from North Carolina, so what do I know about BBQ :tongue:

It is all about temperature control, I also think you can get it done in 3 hours, with a little change for glazing. They will have some pull if you don't foil, but, it can be done without foil.

All joking aside, I bet if you go St. Louis cut, pull the membrane, relief cut the bones a little from the underside, go hot, open cooker for 30 minutes on the bone side, start the rendering process, then close it up, let it ride for 2.5 hours, adding moisture and using a low sugar rub, you can get them tender, then hit them with a sweet heat sauce, you can get them there. I need to try this.

R2Egg2Q
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Is that the same video where the local news station was promoting a rib cook off and kept showing a pork butt in a BGE?

:tsk:

lol. Yeah, the pork butt got a lot of attention but I think that's likely the fault of the news crew or they didn't want to interfere with the competitors rib cooks.

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
So let's see if I understand your proposed methodology...

Trim the crap out of the ribs so we start with little more than short ribs.

Partially cut in between the bones - during the cook, or prior to? To get more heat inside, and of course we are cranking up the heat towards the end??

It may work....but I suspect without foil or liquid we would have to go with a no sugar rub and hit 350 for the last hour to get close, then there will still be some unrendered (but crispy) fat.

If I have to foil, I'll foil, but i won't be happy about it

bbq lover
02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
bob dont give away all the good tips :shock:

landarc
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
I am dying to try out using butcher paper, like some of the guys are doing on brisket, then there is that new product from Reynolds, paper fused to foil, it seems purpose built for BBQ braising. And it is non-stick, so one could candy the ribs and not have any sticking.

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
This whole mixing a traditionalist with a new frontier kinda person should make for some interesting team dynamics.

Paper fused with foil??
BBQ Braising??

Fark!

landarc
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Remember, my mentors in this whole BBQ thing were old men from Southern Oklahoma cooking over hickory and oak, running brick or steel pits. Those old guys would be dying to see what I have done with what they gave me, but, I am pretty sure I can still run a brick pit or stick-burning vertical cooker, just like I am still pretty sure I can run a long open pit BBQ if I had the opportunity.

sitnfat
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
400 degrees. 2 hours no foil needed. Just tell them that's how they do it at Rendevzous

BoneDaddy's
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
On my BGE I can cook a tender set of ribs in 3.5 hours...maybe not at 220, but 240-250...sure...just wrap for the last hour, apply some finishing sauce, set on grill....done and tasty

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 02:41 PM
To get my offset to 400F I will need to douse it in gasoline before I light it.

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
On my BGE I can cook a tender set of ribs in 3.5 hours...maybe not at 220, but 240-250...sure...just wrap for the last hour, apply some finishing sauce, set on grill....done and tasty

Yea BGEs will defiantly cook em up quicker.
I'm just too much of a cheapskate to own one.

landarc
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
maybe instead of whining about it, you should get out there, douse the offset in gasoline and try cooking some ribs in 3 hours. Maybe I can try the UDS later this week, it might work great.

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 03:10 PM
I cook ribs on my UDS at 250F avgs
4.5 hrs for me.

And I'm not whining.
:cry:

I'll make them in 2 hours and still have tasty ribs. Is that my preference? Not typically

Bbq Bubba
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Had to check to see if you were just a troll. :tsk:

Thank you for possibly the most useless post ever. :thumb:

landarc
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Just remember John, out here, you have to sauce ribs, that is just how we roll in Cali, a nice thick sweet sauce.

SirPorkaLot
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Just remember John, out here, you have to sauce ribs, that is just how we roll in Cali, a nice thick sweet sauce.

Oh I'll be sauced alright

Bbq Bubba
02-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Oh be honest at least....

You know damn well that a spicy mustard sauce is king in Cali! :crazy:

landarc
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I was told not to tell John that Bubba, he needs to discover that hisself.

DerrickG
02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Had to check to see if you were just a troll. :tsk:

Thank you for possibly the most useless post ever. :thumb:

Nope, I'm from the west coast....trolls are from the east coast. :loco:

Matt_A
02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
maybe instead of whining about it, you should get out there, douse the offset in gasoline and try cooking some ribs in 3 hours. Maybe I can try the UDS later this week, it might work great.
I saw one or two UDSs in that video...

Gore
02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I thought we were promised ribs in 3.5 hours. Well, where are they? :mad:

deguerre
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
400 degrees. 2 hours no foil needed. Just tell them that's how they do it at Rendevzous

Yep. Exactly! And they suck too.:clap2:

landarc
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I think he is experimenting with a pressure cooker now.

deguerre
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
So, he's cooking ribs like rice?

SirPorkaLot
02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I think he is experimenting with a pressure cooker now.

I would, but I'm afraid it will blow up.

Parboil baby!!

Speed Ribs:
Boil ribs
Drain water
Add a little liquid smoke
Add bbq sauce
Simmer in crockpot for 2 hours on high
Toss on grill at 400F to set glaze

Done

deguerre
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Actually John, these were cooked alternating between direct and indirect on one of those ginormous park grills for probably an average of 2~2 1/2 hours and they came out very good. St. Louis cut over coals with sticks of oak that were lying around - about 5~6 inches above the flames.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/020-1.jpg

SirPorkaLot
02-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Actually John, these were cooked alternating between direct and indirect on one of those ginormous park grills for probably an average of 2~2 1/2 hours and they came out very good. St. Louis cut over coals with sticks of oak that were lying around - about 5~6 inches above the flames.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/020-1.jpg

The beautiful carbon color on those ribs are exquisite. :twitch:

SirPorkaLot
02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Here are my latest test subjects.
4.5 hours at 250-275
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dzd-dLxYGuI/T0Zwvj4KqjI/AAAAAAAAD3E/FGVucisv8rU/s640/IMG_0332.JPG

deguerre
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Woof.:becky:

fingerlickin'
02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
This is my new favorite thread. Funny chit. I will say I'm a little offended by DerrickG's post. No, not the one where he gets all buddy buddy with John, the other one. Us East Coaster's are only trolls until be buy a subscription. :becky:

Keep in mind I'm from PA so I don't know how to make real BBQ in the first place and I do use foil and I always cook baby backs, but if someone were to ask for my opinion which they haven't. I would just cook them for 2 hrs at 275* then foil for 1hr. and put them back on the smoker to firm up or until they are done. If you do decide on the crock pot. I would definitely set it to high because of the time constraints. :thumb:

fingerlickin'
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Here are my latest test subjects.
4.5 hours at 250-275
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dzd-dLxYGuI/T0Zwvj4KqjI/AAAAAAAAD3E/FGVucisv8rU/s640/IMG_0332.JPG

Those look pretty good but where's the spicy mustard sauce?

landarc
02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Those look good boss, but, how was the texture?

SirPorkaLot
02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Those look good boss, but, how was the texture?
Tender as a mother's love.

First bite was the sweetness of the brown sugar and honey applied during the foiling.

2nd bite was soft tender & juicy with a slight bit of pull.

Clean bite to the bone

Leaves you with a touch of heat on the back of the tongue.

A winner for sure with a slight tweaking.

landarc
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Sounds good, glad I am showing up to shi...I mean help with these.

SirPorkaLot
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Sounds good, glad I am showing up to shi...I mean help with these.

Right on!

Which is why the rub & sauce will be prepared the day before and brought to the cook-off in nondescript plain unmarked containers.

and yes..before the question is asked: I make all my own rubs & sauces..

landarc
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Well, I hope you don't get confused between the two of them, since they will be unlabelled, mistakes could happen.

sitnfat
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I think out there they prefer them tender as a baby mouse:tongue::thumb:

deguerre
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
John rubs his own pork and makes sauce. Pass it on.