rawtalent
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.kcbs.us/tyson-best-wing.php

Muzzlebrake
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
That's cool

mcbrew13
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I tried to read through the lawyer talk (rules)...Is there any limit to the method of cooking? Thanks.

Slamdunkpro
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Recipe Ownership. Winning teams will be required to submit their recipe and ownership of the recipe to Tyson to determine Overall Best Wing on the Planet Winners. By entering, each Entrant forever and irrevocably releases the ownership of their recipe to Tyson Foods, Inc. Tyson Foods, Inc. will have all rights to produce and market the winning recipes for profit.

I'll pass

Jeff_in_KC
02-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I'll pass

I thought I read (in my brief once-over) that it's marketed by using the winning team in their packaging and marketing materials. Just speaking for myself, I'd willingly give up a recipe in exchange for having my logo, team name and my info made public all over the United States by one of the world's largest poultry sellers! You gotta figure that's worth a ton to the winner. :thumb:

boogiesnap
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Dollars are worth a ton to the winner.

You can use my logo, team name, whathave you for a fee, and my recipe for a percentage of the profit.

I would say that if I had anything worth a darn.

Muzzlebrake
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
I thought I read (in my brief once-over) that it's marketed by using the winning team in their packaging and marketing materials. Just speaking for myself, I'd willingly give up a recipe in exchange for having my logo, team name and my info made public all over the United States by one of the world's largest poultry sellers! You gotta figure that's worth a ton to the winner. :thumb:

I'm with you, Jeff. If they want to put my name and face on their product possibly worldwide, I'm in.

I have one name and one face, I have plenty of wing recipes. :becky::becky::becky: I also don't have an established brand like some other competitors, I could see why they might not want to.

QueNivorous
02-15-2012, 06:09 PM
If I had what turned out to be the recipe for "The Best Wings On The Planet" would I sell all rights to them for roughly $6,000? Not a prayer!

Rich Parker
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
I am in sounds like fun!

G$
02-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll pass

You must have a good recipe!

ique
02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
If I won I probably would have "winged" the recipe. Would just have to write down a new one for them. :razz:

Sledneck
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Having your name out thereis great. Do you think mass produced it will be as good? If we forfeit any say or right s then your name will be all over bags of wings that suck lol

Smokenstein & monster crew
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm with you, Jeff. If they want to put my name and face on their product possibly worldwide, I'm in.

I have one name and one face, I have plenty of wing recipes. :becky::becky::becky: I also don't have an established brand like some other competitors, I could see why they might not want to.

Does it say guaranteed... to have your name/face or logo to be in the marketing. I dont think they would do that literally. I think it be more like stealing your recipe for profit... & you can have the title for your own backyard. Ive seen this to many times where an idea is taken ( a promise given, & the promise not actually showing up) the suits get richer and the blood boils from frustration....
So anyone who is going to particpate read the fine print...I am not, i am not going in..... But it may say ... may or may not use your likeness, brand, name etc etc..:idea: Its the may not that will get you everytime..Beware :mad2:

Jeff_in_KC
02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Does it say guaranteed... to have your name/face or logo to be in the marketing. I dont think they would do that literally. I think it be more like stealing your recipe for profit... & you can have the title for your own backyard. Ive seen this to many times where an idea is taken ( a promise given, & the promise not actually showing up) the suits get richer and the blood boils from frustration....
So anyone who is going to particpate read the fine print...I am not, i am not going in..... But it may say ... may or may not use your likeness, brand, name etc etc..:idea: Its the may not that will get you everytime..Beware :mad2:

Once TysonŽ finds the Best Wing on the Planet, they will package the wing for retail sales, and the entire country can enjoy the Best Wing on the Planet. TysonŽ will honor the winning BBQ team and recipe by featuring the team in promotional items and packaging.

This is from the email blast. Which, by the way... never mind. :tape::laugh:

02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
But the website link does say this, just read..So who knows. I am cautious with corporate stuff & magic, good luck to who enter & wins

Once TysonŽ finds the Best Wing on the Planet, they will package the wing for retail sales, and the entire country can enjoy the Best Wing on the Planet. TysonŽ will honor the winning BBQ team and recipe by featuring the team in promotional items and packaging

02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
I should of refreshed, man that was a fast post....thanks :razz:

Rich Parker
02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Surprising to hear people have these top secret chicken wing recipes that are worth more than $6500. Must be some good wings!

boogiesnap
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Surprising to hear people have these top secret chicken wing recipes that are worth more than $6500. Must be some good wings!

tippycanoe's recipes were worth over $35,000 last year...and they are still theirs.

it'd be ludicrous to sell off something for pennies to someone that could make millions as the buyer.

typical walmart.

prolly won't make it anywhere in the sams comps now. but oh well.

rawtalent
02-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Anybody can have any recipe I got for $6000.

Muzzlebrake
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah maybe I'm wrong, why would I want to let a huge multinational corporation try and market my team and recipe to the country. I'm just not seeing how I can benefit from that.......

boogiesnap
02-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah maybe I'm wrong, why would I want to let a huge multinational corporation try and market my team and recipe to the country. I'm just not seeing how I can benefit from that.......

you can't. no royalties.

and i'd almost guarantee you they wouldn't let you put your team or name on anything that would impact their market share.

nor could you, if you were, say catering, market and sell those wings.

Rich Parker
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
tippycanoe's recipes were worth over $35,000 last year...and they are still theirs.

it'd be ludicrous to sell off something for pennies to someone that could make millions as the buyer.

typical walmart.

It wasn't a chicken wing recipe that won it and I doubt there is a chicken wing recipe worth millions. :rolleyes:

mobow
02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't see myself ever marketing chicken wings on a national level so if Tysons wants to give me money for a recipe that i's fine with me and more than I will ever get if left to my own devices. Keith

Contracted Cookers
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
wings are like chilli never made the same recipe twice.I would sell a recipe for 6.00 if I could remember one

Ford
02-15-2012, 08:23 PM
So we turn in after brisket. You'll be cooking wings while doing turn in boxes. If I had a big team and could assign it to one person and forget about it maybe. But risk screwing up pork or brisket box because of wings. Could cost you a chance at 50k. I'll pass.

Slamdunkpro
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
The Pillsbury Bake off winner gets a million dollars and national exposure

without googling, name one of the last two. So much for nationwide fame.

Tyson's foods netted over 700 million dollars last year - $6500? really?
The Safeway comp in DC pays more than $6500 without having to give up your likeness, your name and your recipe in perpetuity.
I'm sure the actual contract that you have to sign if you win the grand prize is more involved and gives Tyson's broader rights. They almost always do.

I'm not grunching about entering or not entering, that's everyone's choice, but having been involved in media and advertizing for 16 years these types of "competitions" irk me. If you or your team is trying to develop a media image or push your own branding, this isn't a very good deal.

worthsmokin
02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't own a restaurant or plan on mass producing chicken wings for profit. I will sell anybody my wing recipe for $100. By the way I have never cooked wings but plan on cooking them at Sams in Des Moines and winning :)

Leatherheadiowa
02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't own a restaurant or plan on mass producing chicken wings for profit. I will sell anybody my wing recipe for $100. By the way I have never cooked wings but plan on cooking them at Sams in Des Moines and winning :)

I wish I would have known you were registering before I did. I guess I wasted my time...:rolleyes:
I am looking forward to the contest here at the Sams Club, too bad management isn't, they have inventory that weekend.

BasicPatrick
02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I was going to make a comment but then it hit me. The Sams (so called) National BBQ Tour isn't making a stop at any New England comps again this year so I have no chance to enter anyway. Why make a stop in an area with two of the last three Jack Champs and a growing body of comps, teams, publicity and BBQ related companies?

And yes...I am whining

SHBBQ
02-16-2012, 06:10 AM

typical walmart.

Tippycanoe and BigT'z recipes are worth $650 per person, they have 2 classes scheduled for this year. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Grabnabber
02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Somebody should trademark "Best Wings on the Planet" before Tyson does.

Maybe then a little $$$ could be made. :mrgreen:

Muzzlebrake
02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I was going to make a comment but then it hit me. The Sams (so called) National BBQ Tour isn't making a stop at any New England comps again this year so I have no chance to enter anyway. Why make a stop in an area with two of the last three Jack Champs and a growing body of comps, teams, publicity and BBQ related companies?

And yes...I am whining

Still spots open in Medford which is a whole lot closer than any of the 2011 contests were and from what I understand, an easy ferry ride from your area. I think I remember something from last year about Sams not having as large a presence in New England as other regions. I could be mistaken, but I think that has something to do with it.

Sledneck
02-16-2012, 07:26 AM
With the money they are putting up they could put it in Alaska

TooSaucedToPork
02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
All they gotta do to "include your team in packaging" is put a little "RECIPE BY blah blah blah" in 2 point font on the inside of the little plastic flap that runs down the package bag. With that they have fulfilled their legal obligation.

We won $2000 at Memphis In May a few years ago for our wings. All we had to do was thank Frank's Red Hot and take a picture for their marketing dept...

:crazy:GIVE UP ALL RIGHTS TO A RECIPE - NO THANKS:crazy:

Sledneck
02-16-2012, 07:41 AM
The winning wing recipe

Take wings
Braise in butter bath
Glaze with blues hog

Get name on packaging:tongue:

boogiesnap
02-16-2012, 07:48 AM
i don't think you can release the recipe for blues hog to tyson.

timzcardz
02-16-2012, 07:54 AM

And yes...I am whining

Still spots open in Medford which is a whole lot closer than any of the 2011 contests were and from what I understand, an easy ferry ride from your area. I think I remember something from last year about Sams not having as large a presence in New England as other regions. I could be mistaken, but I think that has something to do with it.

Yep, Sean is right. It is a pretty easy and nice ferry ride, and the ferry even has a bar! Probably under 6 hours total trip for you.

The ferry ride itself is about an hour, with some extra time for getting there early. For a few extra bucks you can go priority, which boards you first and gets you off first too.

Smoke Ring
02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Wow! Doesn't anyone enter a contest for fun and bragging rights any more?

boogiesnap
02-16-2012, 07:58 AM

yes, that's 95% of it..

but, when your relinquishing the ownership of something you created it becomes a different ballgame.

G$
02-16-2012, 07:59 AM
We can turn anything in to a terrible idea, can't we?

RangerJ
02-16-2012, 07:59 AM
So if I'm reading this correct.

I could win wings, but nothing in Que and have to drive 852 miles to Missouri for the Regional which would cost me another $250 entry fee, just to cook wings?

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for Bentonville?

TooSaucedToPork
02-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Yup, thats why we BBQ.

but

they are asking you to give up all rights to your intellectual property that will make them $$$$ for next to nothing for you. We have won 6 first place trophys for our wings, we wouldn't give up the recipe, and we are a team that only cooks for fun.

Sledneck
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Nope, as the man in black says "it's all about getting paid!:becky:I can cook in my backyard for a lot less money

dmprantz
02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
:crazy:GIVE UP ALL RIGHTS TO A RECIPE - NO THANKS:crazy:

So you don't think Danny would want to cook wings for is in B'ham? I would think the wing comepitition near Buffalo would be stout anyway.

dmp

02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Isnt this like the the true bbq mans motto
Dont give up the secrets, no matter what..

we hide our spices, sauces, techniques, garnish like it was the
code to launch nuclear missiles. Its about the mystique to finding the golden recipe or spice concoction that launches us to win all categories, contests, GC's like an unstoppable machine

I think its in are blood to be protective of any recipe, no matter what the profit.

You watch bbq on tv shows, they throw out a few basic spice patterns everyone uses, then say "we got are own batch of secrets spices that we wont tell"...thats who we are, everyone looking for the holy grail recipe.

so no matter what side of the fence your on this...its fun to discuss:blabla:

TooSaucedToPork
02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
So you don't think Danny would want to cook wings for is in B'ham? I would think the wing comepitition near Buffalo would be stout anyway.

dmp

I sent him the email, we weren't entered in the Sams series...but if he wants in we will enter. I don't see him giving up the recipe, he wins too much with it.

Alexa RnQ
02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
People were saying the same thing about the Reser's potato salad deal last year, as if their potato salad recipe were the only asset they had in the world and people were lining up for it.

Hell, nobody else volunteered to give me $700 for a recipe that wasn't one of the four meat categories, and I was happy to take it. In fact, the recipe and dessert entries paid the expenses of that contest.

timzcardz
02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
We can turn anything in to a terrible idea, can't we?

The idea is what it is, no one can turn it into something terrible or great. It is an individual judgement.

However everyone should enter into this with their eyes wide open.

7. Recipe Ownership. Winning teams will be required to submit their recipe and ownership of the recipe to Tyson to determine Overall Best Wing on the Planet Winners. By entering, each Entrant forever and irrevocably releases the ownership of their recipe to Tyson Foods, Inc. Tyson Foods, Inc. will have all rights to produce and market the winning recipes for profit.

If you win a local competition, you hand them your recipe and they hand you $200 and they now own the recipe completely and you don't.

If $200 for this sounds great to you, then it is a great idea!

If $200 for this sounds terrible to you, then it is a terrible idea.

Yeah, you might win $8K, but you sold the recipe and all rights to it for $200.

SCSmoke
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Did anyone see an area that says the limitations on cooking methods? It doesn't seem to say if you have to adhere to the kcbs approved cooking methods.

Jorge
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board....

I think a lot of people looking at this are probably a little shortsighted about this.

Maybe your wing recipe is THAT GOOD! Even if it is, do you have the capital or ability to realistically get it into production? It may be worth a fortune, but it would take another fortune to buy the exposure that could come from winning this event.

If you win, and are prepared when that product goes out you have the opportunity to leverage that exposure to get a deal that pays some serious money....IF YOU ARE PREPARED. If I was entered and had the ultimate wing recipe, I'd be busting my butt to develop a second one that is almost as good that could win and go with that. Tyson still gets a great product, and you aren't selling your retirement fund.

This is an opportunity, nothing more, and nothing less. It's what the individual chooses to make of it.

Robert
02-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Jorge you are absolutely right. But for some reason, folks seem to fear the "large evil empire" and portray them as an enemy. I wish our team had a killer wing recipe, but we do not. However, we have 23 days to try to develop one. Might attempt a few practice cooks between now an then and hope for the best. If it works, yippe, if not, oh well.

Robert

Ford
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Anybody want to cook wings for me on Saturday. Have an fe you can use. It's under my team name but you buy the wings and you get the money.

boogiesnap
02-16-2012, 09:33 AM

I think a lot of people looking at this are probably a little shortsighted about this.

Maybe your wing recipe is THAT GOOD! Even if it is, do you have the capital or ability to realistically get it into production? It may be worth a fortune, but it would take another fortune to buy the exposure that could come from winning this event.

If you win, and are prepared when that product goes out you have the opportunity to leverage that exposure to get a deal that pays some serious money....IF YOU ARE PREPARED. If I was entered and had the ultimate wing recipe, I'd be busting my butt to develop a second one that is almost as good that could win and go with that. Tyson still gets a great product, and you aren't selling your retirement fund.

This is an opportunity, nothing more, and nothing less. It's what the individual chooses to make of it.

i can get on board with that.

Slamdunkpro
02-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Yes it can be an oppurtunity, but you also have to consider what you're giving up. My IP guy was just here on another matter and we talked a little about these types of "contests". Typically the contract you have to sign on "winning" is considerably more limiting that what you give up when you enter. The winner is usually prohibited from using the carrier company (in this case Tyson's ) in any marketing or advertizing for the winner. So you would most likely be prohibited from marketing wing#2 recipe as "created by the winner of the Tyson's World's best wing contest" without having to pay some kind of royalty to Tyson's.

Your last paragraph is absolutely true, just make sure you look at all the angles.

DawgPhan
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I think that I would probably worry about creating the winning recipe after I won.

Jorge
02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes it can be an oppurtunity, but you also have to consider what you're giving up. My IP guy was just here on another matter and we talked a little about these types of "contests". Typically the contract you have to sign on "winning" is considerably more limiting that what you give up when you enter. The winner is usually prohibited from using the carrier company (in this case Tyson's ) in any marketing or advertizing for the winner. So you would most likely be prohibited from marketing wing#2 recipe as "created by the winner of the Tyson's World's best wing contest" without having to pay some kind of royalty to Tyson's.

Your last paragraph is absolutely true, just make sure you look at all the angles.

Agreed.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Who is to say the recipe submitted IS the winning recipe? Just saying....

Rich Parker
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Anybody have any clarification on this part of rule 6?

All entries must include an original chicken wing recipe. All Entrants will be required to sign a waiver verifying that their chicken wing recipe is original. Any recipes found that are not original will be disqualified from the Contest and prize money. The standard KCBS box will be used for this category. Garnish is prohibited.

They don't have a definition of recipe here? Is it Smokin Guns, smoke, and Sweet Baby Ray's or this is how you make the rub, this is how you make the sauce, and this is how you cook them?

recˇiˇpe/ˈresəˌpē/
Noun:
A set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required.
Something which is likely to lead to a particular outcome: "sky-high interest rates are a recipe for disaster".

Ford
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Anybody have any clarification on this part of rule 6?

They don't have a definition of recipe here? Is it Smokin Guns, smoke, and Sweet Baby Ray's or this is how you make the rub, this is how you make the sauce, and this is how you cook them?

No commercial rubs or sauces are allowed

Rich Parker
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
No commercial rubs or sauces are allowed

Where do you get that out of the rules?

Ford
02-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Where do you get that out of the rules?

I emailed for clarification

On Feb 15, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Casey Taylor Johns <ctaylor@mmacreative.com> wrote:

Turn in will be after the usual turn ins on Saturday- Troy Black will
announce exact turn in time at the Cook's meeting...

You need to use an original recipe...remember, if you win the ultimate wing,
Tyson will use your original recipe as their new flavor...they can't have
other brand's rubs and marinades in there.... Does that make sense? *Let me
know if you have any other questions..... Official rules here:

Thanks,
Casey

Rich Parker
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I emailed for clarification

On Feb 15, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Casey Taylor Johns <ctaylor@mmacreative.com> wrote:

Thanks,
Casey

Thanks! I don't think they clarified that well in their rules and it will probably bite some people. I am still in though.

mobow
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
To win the grand prize the recipe is going to be given to the world so they can make it at home and then vote on which one gets the title.

Muzzlebrake
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks,
Casey

I think it's hard to expect people to interpret "original recipe" as no use of any commercially available products. I think they might want to clear that language up.

kihrer
02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
I think it's hard to expect people to interpret "original recipe" as no use of any commercially available products. I think they might want to clear that language up.

So does this mean if I use a couple of commercial hot sauces in my wing sauce recipe then I shouldn't bother entering?

Contracted Cookers
02-17-2012, 08:31 PM
to lie is still lying just saying

Muzzlebrake
02-17-2012, 09:16 PM
So does this mean if I use a couple of commercial hot sauces in my wing sauce recipe then I shouldn't bother entering?

I think that's the jist of the email Ford received

Slamdunkpro
02-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I think that's the just of the email Ford received
So my Tequila fire wing recipe submission should start with:

Chop down one large agave plant..........
:caked:

Jorge
02-17-2012, 10:15 PM

With video, please. You can probably write it off if you use the slicer.:razz:

Muzzlebrake
02-17-2012, 10:28 PM

I hear you......

Matt_A
02-18-2012, 07:52 AM
No promise of anything... "By entering this Contest, each Participant agrees to the posting and use of his or her name, hometown and/or photograph on Sponsor's and/or its Agents' websites, in any and all media, publicity and advertising for Tyson and on future Tyson Chicken Wing packaging without any further attribution, notification or compensation, except where prohibited by law."

In other words, once you get the $6500, that's it. You are promised nothing else. Your name MIGHT be on the product packaging, but nothing here says that it WILL be on it.

billgailey
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
It seems to me that nobody would be able to take the photo that will obviously be made showing you with the winning check and the Tyson folks away from you. You could use it in your advertising without mentioning the obvious because they will certainly have their logo and all the info prominently displayed. I really don't see why there is all the resisitance to the idea. If somebody came over to your site on Friday night and offered you $6000 for your wing recipe before the comp started how many of us would turn it down?

RangerJ
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Since mine all contain a commercial ingredient of some type, I'm probably out.

02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
It seems to me that nobody would be able to take the photo that will obviously be made showing you with the winning check and the Tyson folks away from you. You could use it in your advertising without mentioning the obvious because they will certainly have their logo and all the info prominently displayed. I really don't see why there is all the resisitance to the idea. If somebody came over to your site on Friday night and offered you $6000 for your wing recipe before the comp started how many of us would turn it down?

thats true.... Does it come with a trophy LOL

Smokin Mike
02-18-2012, 10:37 PM

not me! :becky:

Buckshot Malone
02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
www.bestwingsontheplanet.com (http://www.bestwingsontheplanet.com)

Peace, Buckshot.