PDA

View Full Version : Towing question...

Jaskew82
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
This might be more appropriate for "the woodpile" but I figured the folks in this forum would have a better idea since a lot of you guys have trailers.

I am looking into buying a tow vehicle (no trucks, probably a suburban or expedition) and am thinking I should have something with the option for 4x4 but not all time 4x4. Is that correct? I am hearing that you shouldn't tow in 4x4 all time but instead only to get out of a jam.

What do you guys think?

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Correct. Obviously pay attn to the tow capacity, v8 and some v6 will do just fine, depending on triailer weight.

caseydog
02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
How much weight are you towing? How often, and how far?

I tow a camper all over four states with a full-time AWD vehicle, with a factory hitch, rated for 3,500 pounds.

Full-time AWD systems are different than part time 4WD systems. If you get a part-time 4WD system, more than likely the instructions will be to only use 4WD in slippery situations, and never use it on dry pavement.

I prefer full-time AWD because it is great on pavement in the rain. Part-time 4WD is really more for snow, mud rocks, and other really low traction situations.

Jeep offers both full-time AWD systems and part-time 4WD systems. Their full-time AWD systems are very good -- very similar to what I have in my Audi.

CD

Jaskew82
02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
It would be specifically for towing a trailer to and from competitions. I have access to a roadmaster 14x7 trailer so I would be using that and towing competition gear.

Goddahavit
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
watch your towing capacity especially the rear gears.

I just picked up a 2004 tahoe, rated for 7600lbs, but thats with the 3:73 gears, it drops to 6400 with the 3:42 gears.

check out the denali, it rates at like 8800 lbs, but i didnt want the full time awd

the 3/4 ton suburbans from 06 and down can be beasts for towing, but also get 9mpg towing or not.

suburbans and tahoe/ukons get about the same mpg, give or take 1or2 drive both, the tahoe is much more maneuverable, suburban is much bigger inside for a few extra feet outside.

just a few thoughts.

Eric

caseydog
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
It would be specifically for towing a trailer to and from competitions. I have access to a roadmaster 14x7 trailer so I would be using that and towing competition gear.

As long as the vehicle is rated to tow the weight of the trailer, it shouldn't mater whether you go with a full-time AWD system or a part-time 4WD system.

Full-time AWD is great if you live in a rainy and/or snowy area, and most of your driving will be on pavement, or don't plan to do extreme off-roading.

For extreme off-roading, a part-time 4WD system with its locking and low-range gearing capabilities is necessary, but you really shouldn't use it in 4WD modes on pavement.

I love my AWD in rain, snow -- even in soft sand on the beach.

CD

Jaskew82
02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks!

BigBellyBBQ
02-15-2012, 06:24 AM
if you have the need for 4 wd buy it..however you have to weigh th cost of the loss of fuel mileage, the extra cost of the vehical, the extra cost of maintinence, the less mileage per set of tires. I have a 4wd f350, however it is used for plowing and other uses, if I did not have the plow I would use a 2wd..as a 2 wd with good tires would be the way to go..even on a 4wd the tires will make or break where you can go..traction in rain as some one stated? I would stay home if you needed awd or 4wd to go tru rain....I stated the tires on your vehical is key, even in rain..grass,..dry pavement or snow..on awd expect to loose fuel mileage and weigh that into your yearly cost..look at towing capacity and talk to people that you have narowed your needs down to .... google the vehical ...stick to GM or Ford as they have the vehicals to get the job done..remember gas is on the rise again..so work out the cost

smokinit
02-15-2012, 07:07 AM
if you have the need for 4 wd buy it..however you have to weigh th cost of the loss of fuel mileage, the extra cost of the vehical, the extra cost of maintinence, the less mileage per set of tires. I have a 4wd f350, however it is used for plowing and other uses, if I did not have the plow I would use a 2wd..as a 2 wd with good tires would be the way to go..even on a 4wd the tires will make or break where you can go..traction in rain as some one stated? I would stay home if you needed awd or 4wd to go tru rain....I stated the tires on your vehical is key, even in rain..grass,..dry pavement or snow..on awd expect to loose fuel mileage and weigh that into your yearly cost..look at towing capacity and talk to people that you have narowed your needs down to .... google the vehical ...stick to GM or Ford as they have the vehicals to get the job done..remember gas is on the rise again..so work out the cost

Two wheel drive will be considerable cheaper and they are rated higher for towing than the same model in 4wd. Chevy offers a great towing package and possi rear ends for better traction in in poor weather and getting in and out of competion sites.

rksylves
02-15-2012, 11:00 AM
The way it was essplained to me a bunch of years ago goes like this, 'Use 2 wheel drive to get into trouble, and 4 wheel drive to get out of that trouble'.

Meaning of course that 4 wheel drive should only be used in the instances to get out of a situation and then revert back to 2 wheel afterwards.

Russ

BigBellyBBQ
02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
The way it was essplained to me a bunch of years ago goes like this, 'Use 2 wheel drive to get into trouble, and 4 wheel drive to get out of that trouble'.

Meaning of course that 4 wheel drive should only be used in the instances to get out of a situation and then revert back to 2 wheel afterwards.

Russ
the cost of owning a 4wd vrs a two wheel WILL be considerable! It does not matter if you never ever have to engage the front hubs (however if you dont they will lock up on you) so the bottom line is if you need it, then you must buy that...however map out the cost and see if it will be worth it..I have owned 2 wheel, 4 wheel, all wheel, however I have a shop and can work on the trucks and every year the front ends have to be looked at on a 4 wd...I do most of my own work so I would prefer to have a 4wd, however my next truck will be 2wd and I will have the 4wd as a spare and plow truck....tires on a twd will last 35, to 50,000 and a 4wd will last 25,000 ...
the bottom line is if you require 4wd, then the cost does not matter..however if cost is important to operate, think if you will need a tow to get moving, however I live in Buffalo new York and I can guarentee you that even with a 2wd I never will need a tow....as good proper tires will make a 2 wd perform good enough to get you home..but I do love the 4wd as I have owned a 4wd since 1975...however next tow vehical will either be 3,500 or another F 350 2 wd...

BigHatBBQ
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
IMO 4 wheel drive is a small price to pay for what you get. If I'm going to spend $30,000 on a 2wd SUV then I'm always going to upgrade and pay $33,000 for the same SUV with 4wd. Then it's there if you need it and it's adds value, it's not throwing away money.

ThomEmery
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
I am using a Suburban with the new trailer
No 4 wheel drive But no snow either ;0)