PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Chicken

NRA4Life
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm looking for some estimation here. I have to make pulled chicken for a friend's party...What kind of yield can I expect to get off of a chicken? If I cook a case of whole chickens that weighs let's say 40 lb, how much finished product can I expect to get? Any and all suggestions are welcome, like should I dump the whole bird idea and just go with thigh/leg quarters for the pulled chicken? And would the yield be higher or lower going with just thigh/leg quarters?
Thanks!
Kevin

Bbq Bubba
02-13-2012, 07:09 PM
You sure you want the answer to that ?

A 40 lb box of birds smoked to 175ish, cooled and pulled will yeild you about 13-14 lbs of useable meat. :shock:

Figure about 35% MAX if you make sure you pull every little scrap from that carcass.

Yeilds a little higher on quarters but so is the cost.

I charge more for pulled chicken hoping no one will ever order it. VERY labor intensive.

YMMV. :thumb:

Hotrodhog
02-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Yep, well that pretty much wraps that up!

roksmith
02-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Also..if you haven't done it much, be very careful. I agree with above it's very labor intensive but worse than that, there are so many little bones. For some reason the little bone in the leg seems to be especially sneaky about working it's way into the bowl.
I hate making pulled chicken!!

NRA4Life
02-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I've made pulled chicken but haven't paid any attention to what the yield was. I'd just smoke a few birds and make pulled chicken.

QueNivorous
02-19-2012, 08:21 AM
If you're serving PULLED chicken there would be no way I'd waste the time picking it from whole birds. Order boneless / skinless thighs and breasts by the case. We serve a mixture. Make sure you keep it moist when you cook it!

sampson
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
If you're serving PULLED chicken there would be no way I'd waste the time picking it from whole birds. Order boneless / skinless thighs and breasts by the case. We serve a mixture. Make sure you keep it moist when you cook it!

I second this answer... If you were to weigh what you throw away on whole chickens you will find that the cost of boneless skinless thighs is close to the same. Then throw in the labor it takes for the whole chix and that seals the deal for me. (It should be noted that I have NOT priced out the chicken for this catering year yet, so I could be off a little bit)

NRA4Life
02-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of boneless/skinless thighs. That will be a timesaver.