PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment 2nd Annual Morton BBQ Throwdown, Morton,IL

rkoener
02-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Our event is scheduled for July 27-28th 2012. Info is available on our website www.mortonbbqthrowdown.com

We are a KCBS event this year!

Ron_L
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I was just looking at the web site and app this morning!

It's on our list but we haven't set a schedule yet.

Any idea of the payout?

Also, we have a toy hauler and use the sink inside for clean up and dishes. If you do the People's Choice will the health department require a separate 3-bin setup?

rkoener
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Ron, we are going to work out the payout at our next meeting on 3-7-12. We intend to payout 100% of the entry fees (minus KCBS fees) and we just have to do the math to figure out the spread.

I am sure the Health department will require a 3 bowl wash station. I doubt your sink in your toy hauler has three bowls, but you might be able to just use one tub and make it a three bowl??? Last year that was the main thing they were checking for. I have a form from them that I will send out to all teams as we get closer. The People's choice was VERY popular last year and we are excited to do it again. We are providing the meat and paying for the health department license. The teams just have to smoke and pull the pork. We do everything else.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at rak@koener.com or post here.

Thanks!

Ron_L
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks... Having it isn't a big deal but knowing in advance is good since I would have to bring the bus tubs :)

If we end up with this on our schedule we'd probably do the People's Choice since it's for a good cause. I am a little bit concerned with the timing, however, since it's in the middle of our crunch time.

rkoener
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
We left the turn in time the same as last year since everyone told us it worked out well. The idea is that you can take it off and pull it before you have to mess with the other items. If you have suggestions please let me know, we are always open to constructive criticism.

The people's choice is for a good cause. We raised over 6k for them last year (with the whole event) and hope to double that this year. They were able to pay for two clinical trials with the money we raised last year. Really makes me feel good to be able to help!

Lion Bout The Q
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Mike and I were just talking about this one.. It looks like its on our list for the year...Peter

Brew-B-Q
02-14-2012, 06:37 AM
I cooked this last year. Ryan, his wife, and the rest of the organizing crew went out of their way to make the contest a success. They had some challenges, as many first year contests do, but I'm confident they will work it out for this year and I'd recommend putting it on your list.

rkoener
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words. We did learn a lot last year. We have made a number of changes and I am very excited about this year's event. Having the KCBS reps to help us will solve a lot of the issues we had last year. I am looking forward to seeing some teams return from last year.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Ron_L
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
We left the turn in time the same as last year since everyone told us it worked out well. The idea is that you can take it off and pull it before you have to mess with the other items. If you have suggestions please let me know, we are always open to constructive criticism.

The people's choice is for a good cause. We raised over 6k for them last year (with the whole event) and hope to double that this year. They were able to pay for two clinical trials with the money we raised last year. Really makes me feel good to be able to help!

I'm always concerned about anything that can take my focus off of the main event :) Friday night anciliary categories are typically more attractive to us, but if the category benefits a good cause we normally find a way to make it work.

We'll keep your competition in mind as we go through our schedule. You're up against a comp near Indy and I've heard that Grand Rapids, MI will be the same weekend. Both are about 4 hours for us (plus an hour time difference), so if gas prices go as high as the "expert" are predicting then the 2.5 hours to Morton will be much more attractive :)

rkoener
02-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I wanted to clear up some confusion on the payout for our event. The registration form that is on our website indicates that we are only paying 2 places in each category. That is not correct and we are going to get an updated form on the site very soon. We are in fact paying 5 places in each category plus GC and RGC. In total we are paying out around $7,000 in cash and prizes. I will have the entire payout schedule on the website soon. Please let me know if you have any questions! I want to make sure this is an attractive event for the teams.