PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club Teams

motoeric
02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi,

How many teams will be competing at each Sam's Club stop?

Thanks,

Eric

Rich Parker
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php

The totals are listed on that link.

motoeric
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank you.

How many teams are allowed to compete at the Sam's Club Series? Do they cap it at 24?

Thanks,

Eric

Sauced!
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
30 teams max

southernstyle
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
up to 19 teams now. thats 2 in the last 2 days.:clap2: kcbs should allow open enrollment with 2 weeks to go for the sole purpose that we can have a sams fantasy again:thumb:

southernstyle
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
what a brain fart i thought i posted this on my thread for tampa :crazy:

rbsnwngs
02-13-2012, 07:20 AM
I can't register because I'm not a kcbs member
That stinks

ParkAvenue_2
02-13-2012, 08:17 AM
I can't register because I'm not a kcbs member
That stinks

So you're willing to put up $250 to compete in the Sam's Tournament, but don't want to pay $35 to join KCBS? :confused:

rbsnwngs
02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Yes
It has nothing to do with money i have issues with the kcbs

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
We are 4th out on the Des Moines, any chance we sneak in? I doubt there will be many folks dropping out. Really wish they had more in the midwest.

Capn Kev
02-13-2012, 08:31 AM
We are 4th out on the Des Moines, any chance we sneak in? I doubt there will be many folks dropping out. Really wish they had more in the midwest.

Logan, there's one or two spots out here in Thornton, CO. Only an 8 hour drive from Omaha. :-D

Smokenstein & monster crew
02-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Yes

luv a rebel

I am not a member as of yet, dont know how it makes a difference

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Kevin, thats not too shabby of a drive, gonna run it by the team.

DawgPhan
02-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I wonder what Sam's thinks about the prospects of a bunch of empty slots in their tournament? Seems like no letting teams enter more than one contest has backfired a little.

Rich Parker
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I wonder what Sam's thinks about the prospects of a bunch of empty slots in their tournament? Seems like no letting teams enter more than one contest has backfired a little.

Hopefully, it will make them rethink about the locations for next year.

Craig Pippin
02-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Agreed.
The west coast comps, including Vegas are short because the regional contest is 12-15 hours away and the regional competes with two Calif. contests. 1 in the north and 1 in the south. Most teams don't want to enter a local and then not go to the regional if they make it.
Regionals need to be at a more central location.
I realize with the explosion of contest now available, it would be hard to schedule to fit everyone's needs, but might help.

DawgPhan
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I dont think that it has anything to do with the location of the contests. I think that there are actually a lot less people interested in these contests than Sam's and KCBS think. I believe they added 5 contests this year, so 150 spots, but then made it where you couldnt double. They didnt fill all the spots last year, why they added 5 more contests is beyond me. Limiting the double up, was the throat slash to these contests filling up.

HawgNationBBQ
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
I’m curious—I know each event is capped at 30 teams but will the “show go on” with less than 30 teams? I’m attending Pittsburgh and it seems like we have stalled at 20 teams.

boogiesnap
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
it's early yet.

southernstyle
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I’m curious—I know each event is capped at 30 teams but will the “show go on” with less than 30 teams? I’m attending Pittsburgh and it seems like we have stalled at 20 teams.
i believe the show will go on. i cooking in tampa this weekend and with only 21 teams on monday it looks like its still good to go.

Westexbbq
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes

Me too but the recent board elections may alter my thinking.

What about Mineola Fred or Chris??? Are one of them members?

Brian is so we are cooking Medford.

Craig Pippin
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I dont think that it has anything to do with the location of the contests. I think that there are actually a lot less people interested in these contests than Sam's and KCBS think. I believe they added 5 contests this year, so 150 spots, but then made it where you couldnt double. They didnt fill all the spots last year, why they added 5 more contests is beyond me. Limiting the double up, was the throat slash to these contests filling up.

I can guanantee that both San Diego and Las Vegas would be full now if the Regional was not 800 - 1000 miles away from most california teams. Why go that distance when you can go to 2 in state contest that are within 3-4 hours with bigger payouts?

RangerJ
02-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I can guanantee that both San Diego and Las Vegas would be full now if the Regional was not 800 - 1000 miles away from most california teams. Why go that distance when you can go to 2 in state contest that are within 3-4 hours with bigger payouts?

Perhaps to compete against someone other than the same teams you see every weekend? Or to compete in the only tournament format out there chasing the mythical "National BBQ Championship"?

If I recall, last year the west coast regional was in Vegas.

In my region it was in Dallas, so teams from the far northern part of our region had to drive down to Dallas. This year its reversed, if I'm lucky enough to advance I will have to travel 852 miles to the Regional.

Kansas / Missouri teams b!tched last year, I'll b!tch this year.

My point is, it would seem Sams is trying to spread things out to get more teams involved.

That being said, it would appear that some things have backfired, or it could be the cost of gas / meat or any combination of political or economic reasons.

Sure appears that the show is going to move forward without a full field as Tampa is this weekend. Good luck to all!

Craig Pippin
02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I think the regionals should be more centralized.

Region 1 - Vegas or Flagstaff AZ with local in Nor Cal
Region 2 - OK City or Ft. Smith AR
Region 3 - Atlanta
Regions 4&5 - Look OK as is

This would make it as cost effective as possible for everyone.

But after all, it is Sam's decision, and if they are happy and don't mind that all locals are not full, so be it.

DawgPhan
02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
I think the regionals should be more centralized.

Region 1 - Vegas or Flagstaff AZ with local in Nor Cal
Region 2 - OK City or Ft. Smith AR
Region 3 - Atlanta
Regions 4&5 - Look OK as is

This would make it as cost effective as possible for everyone.

But after all, it is Sam's decision, and if they are happy and don't mind that all locals are not full, so be it.

If the regional was in Atlanta, Tampa would still have less than 30 teams. The location of the regional isnt the main factor in low turn out IMO. They didnt fill up these contests last year. They added 150 more spots. They decided you couldnt enter 2 events. That has a huge impact.

Ford
02-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Reality check. One FBA contest had 19 apps in on Monday morning and 36 teams turned in. Florida is really a last minute situation especially the past 6 months. Let's see how many show up.

Having said the above there is an FBA contest this same weekend and a number of teams are choosing FBA over KCBS. Here in FL the FBA rocks. We even have a song.

I'm cooking Tampa to once more chase the dream.

HoDeDo
02-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Yes

KCBS (and MMA) is the group that had the capability to bring the sponsors to the table... to put up the money and have the series.... All of us have some issues with KCBS, but It's really simple, being able to compete in the series, is a member benefit.

I don't know any event series that lets you race, and win money without being a member. So I don't disagree with you that there are issues in KCBS... but gotta pay to play.... also 4 More BBQ Brethren members are now board members, so I'd join up and start sharing ideas... at least two of them have asked for input on this forum :)

02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Anyone hear sign up for the Meford event on Long Island ??
Is there a way to see who has signed up already at the event ?

boogiesnap
02-14-2012, 09:04 AM
i'm signed up for medford.

Westexbbq
02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Anyone hear sign up for the Meford event on Long Island ??
Is there a way to see who has signed up already at the event ?

There are several that I know of, besides Ma's Que Crew. When the team list is full, they will post the names.

02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I would like to know out of curiousity..to bad the list was not available

boogiesnap
02-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I would like to know out of curiousity..to bad the list was not available

i'd like to know too.

more than just curiosity for me. :boxing:

Sledneck
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Why do they wait until 30?

Just for the record I'm in for Medford as "nice rack BBQ"

kihrer
02-14-2012, 02:11 PM

This is just a guess but I think it may have to do with cherry picking. If you can see the contestants before choosing, you may pick a spot that has less competition or where you think you have a better shot at winning. Just a guess.

CBQ
02-15-2012, 12:22 AM

We did Pittsburgh last year because it was the only "northeast" contest. This year there are three, and the other two aren't nestled up against Ohio and West Virgina. I think the NY/New England teams are choosing closer contests.

02-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the pictures that dance in my head with the new team name :clap:

Slamdunkpro
02-15-2012, 03:55 PM

I think part of it is all the region 5 Sam's with the exception of Greensboro step on on large established events.

Pittsburg - Bel Air
Medford - New Paltz
Atlantic City - New Holland
Laurel - Shrewsbury and Hedgesville

Muzzlebrake
02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I think part of it is all the region 5 Sam's with the exception of Greensboro step on on large established events.

Pittsburg - Bel Air
Medford - New Paltz
Atlantic City - New Holland

I thought it was very strange how that worked out. You would thing they would adjust the schedule to not conflict with those contests

Sledneck
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
This is just a guess but I think it may have to do with cherry picking. If you can see the contestants before choosing, you may pick a spot that has less competition or where you think you have a better shot at winning. Just a guess.

Maybe it's just me but I would rather go to a contest with better teams .

boogiesnap
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Maybe it's just me but I would rather go to a contest with better teams .

you'll have that opportunity at the regional.

might as well make the local as much of a best shot as you can. IMHO.

White Dog BBQ
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Mt. Holly, NJ for some unknown reason moved their event to the same weekend as Laurel as well. 3 events all within 2 hours (or less) of each other on the same weekend. Yet we have weekends in May, June and July that are open. But I digress...