PDA

View Full Version : chicken thighs

HOG WILD BBQ
02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Im sure this question has came about somewhere on the forum. in the comps do you prefer to turn bone in thighs or de-boned? we normally turn in de-boned thighs.

BC Squared
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Tried both, suck at both!! Lol...we've yet to decipher chicken. Has cost us some potentially high finishes! New process on tap for this season...and will prob go bone in.

Parts_Guy
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Last season was our 1st season cooking but we cook bone in. We ended up doing decent with it.

tnjimbob
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I have tried bone in and cut out the knuckle bone, de-boned a bone in thigh, and tried boneless and even though it is lmore abor intensive, I prefer to use bone in and trim or cut as needed.

bbq.tom
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
As a judge I'd perfer bone-in. Seems more like real chicken than the skin-covered pile of chicken parts that some turn in. I'll "try" to judge each entry "as presented", but...

Just saying...

Smokin Mike
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
bone in, but chicken isn't my favorite or good at it:icon_blush:

HOG WILD BBQ
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
from the look of the poll right now, maybe i should try bone in next time.:frusty::frusty:

didisea
02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I think if you have a very unevenly sized set of thighs, then you might go bonless because you can cut them to a uniform size easier. I have always done bone in though because I think the bone gives structure to the whole thing, but since I super tanked at the last practice cook, and the guy who scraped his skin down and did the butter bath thing took 1st place, I was thinkin I need to at least try it once.