PDA

View Full Version : Street Fair Vending Prep

CMALANGA
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
My teamate and I are seriously considering vending a street fair in October. We were planning on staying away from BBQ and going with grilled items for sandwiches, etc. We have been toying with the notion of using charcoal (beacuse he loves deposited carbon on his food and I like the marketing aspect), but in looking at the logisitics of keeping charcoal onsite as well as continually ensuring we have two or three chimneys going in a tight family fair setting has me wondering if we're not being a little naieve for our first fair gig. This fair is genrally well attended with the potential for thousands of customers which would keep us pretty busy cooking and serving. Has anyone attempted this with charcoal before? How much did you need for three three days worth of cooking? Even if you just have some general advice we could benefit from I'd appreciate it.

outside ed
02-10-2012, 07:24 AM
The few events that I've done, we just added unlit charcoal to the coals through out the day. Our probem is the ash that accumulates, so I take a metal garbage can to hold the hot ashes. As for the amount of charcoal you will need depends on what your cooking and how long the event is, I try to take at least 100 lbs for a 2 day event.

parrdist
02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Why do you think you would have to have 2 or 3 chimneys going all day?