PDA

View Full Version : Rate this Box

Tack
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Okay here is a practice box for a comp that allows NO GARNISH Tell me what ya thinkhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/TacksBBQ/superbowlribs1.jpg

Jaskew82
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Any chance we could get a larger picture and a side view of the ribs?

Ron_L
02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
A larger picture would be nice, but the box should be judges as presented, and since there is no side of the ribs showing, that shouldn't be taken into account.

Working with the smaller pic, the ribs looks good. The color is nice, the glaze looks even. The cuts could be cleaner and straighter. Also, if you have a garnish base, the ribs would be higher in the box so you could move the front row forward nd show more of the back row.

Tack
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
There in lies the rub!!! pun intended. No Garnish is allowed at this comp meat only in the box.

Ron_L
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I missed that. Try to fill the box as much as possible. With some boxes, what you have is all you can fit, but if you can fit more, then use whatever space you have for the ribs. It's hard to tell from the small pic, but make sure that your sauce/glaze is smooth, no brush marks, and use the sharpest knife that you have to get nice, clean cuts. If you can get the top row of ribs from the same rack, do that and keep them in the same order. The hidden ribs don't make as much difference.

Lake Dogs
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
They look good to me. Small pic, but KCBS scoring (which does allow garnish) It's an 8 or possibly a 9. MBN scoring it's a 9 or perhaps a 10. If it is MBN, you'll want 2 bones on each piece because their definition of perfect ribs is pull cleanly from the bone with only a little resistance; 2 bones helps the judge.

Ford
02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Looks like 8 ribs and that's the min for FBA. Most FBA boxes have 10 to 12 bones. With no garnish fill the box. As many as you can get in. Putting bones on the side to show meant isn't needed for high scores.

Ribs look great. Based on scores I've seen that's probably a 9 and maybe a 9.5 from one or 2 judges. Sauce smudge on corner may score you down.

Tack
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Its KCBS scoring but no garnish at the Go Naked comp. I noticed the smudge after the pic was taken and a rib was already gone by then LOL.

big brother smoke
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
8 maybe 9 if I see them in person.

Slamdunkpro
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
8 maybe 9 in person - is the box upside down?

Tack
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
yea thats what happens when ya let the box runner build the box

sitnfat
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Turn the bones up.

boogiesnap
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM

i want to eat one because i see alot care in their preparation for me.

NRA4Life
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Looks good to me, 8 or 9, but a nice close up picture would make it easier to critique.

SHBBQ
02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Definitely put bones up. Try lying 1 rib horizontally under the bottom row, will help elevate the bottom rack so they will all look even in the box. Also, if you can fit 5 on 5, try it. A full box is a good box. ;) And lastly, good luck at Go Naked!

boogiesnap
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Definitely put bones up. Try lying 1 rib horizontally under the bottom row, will help elevate the bottom rack so they will all look even in the box. Also, if you can fit 5 on 5, try it. A full box is a good box. ;) And lastly, good luck at Go Naked!

that is a sweet tip. :thumb:

CMALANGA
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Disqualified. I only see four ribs maybe five peeking out of the back. Can't see the individual cuts. But they look great. Nice job on the glaze.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Agree a bigger picture would help. With this view, i would go 8 or 9 as well.

BC Squared
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Not a CBJ, but I want one!

Capn Kev
02-08-2012, 12:18 PM
8 for sure in presentation, maybe a 9 if I was there :). I'd take two more ribs and lay them with meat upwards on each side of the existing presentation. That gives the judges a good look at the color of the meat.

To me the bone up or bone down doesn't make a difference. I like the way the meat has pulled back and exposed the bone.

Color looks spot on, looks like the right amount of glaze too.

boogiesnap
02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Disqualified. I only see four ribs maybe five peeking out of the back. Can't see the individual cuts. But they look great. Nice job on the glaze.

a judge can't DQ.

Parts_Guy
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I initially only saw 4...my eyes playing tricks on me. I gave it an 8. I want one;)

HOG WILD BBQ
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
i gonna give ya a 9 . look great

bbq.tom
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Definitely an 8, maybe a 9 in person. Looks pretty dadgum good to me! A view of the cut side would help.

Mister Bob
02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice looking ribs
I would give them an 8
Good color, nice glaze
Nice parallel cuts and equal sized ribs (maybe a little rough on the edges, tough to see in that pic)
Could be a little neater with the sauce (got some on the bones and on the box)

Funtimebbq
02-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I absolutey want to eat one. That make the box a 9.

Regarding not seeing 6 pieces, appearance scoring is done as if the box is legal. Once appearance scoring is over, if a judge has a question about legality, it is discussed them. If appearance scoring needs to be changed, the Rep. will advise the table.

Benny

CMALANGA
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
a judge can't DQ.

Now your playing with samantics. The brother is asking about his box. If the rep doesn't see six or a judge points it out and gets approval from the rep, it's DISQUALIFIED and 1s are issued. Doesn't matter what the glaze looks like then does it?

boogiesnap
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Now your playing with samantics. The brother is asking about his box. If the rep doesn't see six or a judge points it out and gets approval from the rep, it's DISQUALIFIED and 1s are issued. Doesn't matter what the glaze looks like then does it?

i don't think they DQ on quantity with what they "see".

there either IS or ISN"T enough in the box.

it gets scored and then, and only then, when there isn't enough to go around would 1's be issued.

it's not semantics, it's procedure.

nor will the entire box be DQ'ed.

Stoke&Smoke
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Actually, in 2010, I believe they (KCBS) did change the rule for a while, and you were supposed to be able to identify the separation between ribs. But that rule has since been overturned (Either late in 2010 or early 2011, I don't recall)

And, with or without seeing separation, if 2 bones aren't completely separated, and one judge doesn't get a sample, THAT judge will be instructed to score a 1 for both taste and tenderness, all others will score based on the samples they got

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
You go Tack! Nice box!

Red Valley BBQ
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM

I see 8 ribs in the box.

Can I play Judge 6 on this one?? :heh:

Slamdunkpro
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

That's KCBS. We don't have the "you have to see six separate and identifiable pieces" rule in MABA. Put six pieces in the box, if it looks like one continuous slab, I congratulate you on your knife skills. If the judges start pulling samples and there are less than six (or if they stick together), that's a different story.

boogiesnap
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
That's KCBS. We don't have the "you have to see six separate and identifiable pieces" rule in MABA. Put six pieces in the box, if it looks like one continuous slab, I congratulate you on your knife skills. If the judges start pulling samples and there are less than six (or if they stick together), that's a different story.

Naw, it's the same here.

Brother was just unclear on the rules. (assuming he was referring to KCBS)

Tack
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Okay I guess my poor picture was the cause of most of this but there are 8 ribs in the box. And to the guy that wants to be judge 6 Can ya handle the consequences?