PDA

View Full Version : Trailer exteriors: Screws or screwless? / Cargo South trailers

The Cosmic Pig
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Is there a downside to a screwless trailer exterior? Also, does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Cargo South trailers? Thanks, Brethren!

Rod Livingston
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I have been looking for a trailer for a while now and the main thing is you get what you pay for! Don't go cheap on what ever you get because in the long run or even short run, you want a good trailer.

Curly Tails
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I have no experience with Cargo South trailers, but the screws in exterior siding do not look as good if you are applying team graphics or wrapping the trailer . I know this because our graphics did not stay tight around each screw on the side of the trailer. You will see some fit and finish issues between trailer manufactures depending on what you want to spend. Cargo South is a pretty big name though. Just do a search on Cargo South trailer problems and see if anything pops up on Google.

BigBellyBBQ
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
i have been at thier plant and the procedure looks good, call Shane at 229 425 1522 he is a rep for several companies and will take you to show you how they all are made then you can pick which company fits your needs...but get it ordered asap as it takes awhile for them to make it..tell Shane you got his number from me, he gave me great service rep for the company I bought from..Pete

JerBQ
02-06-2012, 07:31 AM
I have no experience with Cargo South, but I can tell you I love my trailer with screwless exterior. It's a 7x14' all aluminum (even the frame) v-nose snowmobile trailer I bought in 2006. I use it year round as a sled and cargo hauler, work trailer, etc. and it looks as good as new. The smooth exterior looks great, no rusty or loose screws to deal with, easy to wash and wax, very easy to put big stickers on. I'm on salty roads all winter with it and it just cleans up beautifully. I would not even consider one with screws. JMHO

drbbq
02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah rusty, loose, and missing screws are a reality. I like the screwless on my ciurrent trailer a lot and would definitely do it again.

Capn Kev
02-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I have no experience with Cargo South, but I can tell you that I absolutely love my Extreme BBQ Trailer, and it has a screwless exterior. Talk to James... he can hook you up! :thumb:

Kev

Slamdunkpro
02-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I have no experience with Cargo South, but I can tell you that I absolutely love my Extreme BBQ Trailer, and it has a screwless exterior. Talk to James... he can hook you up! :thumb:

Kev

Extreme trailers are riveted - same issue as screw heads when wrapping.

The Cosmic Pig
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Kev

Those are certainly beautiful trailers, but they are $$$!!! :shocked:

The Cosmic Pig
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Riveted? Are you sure? Looks pretty smooth to me? :confused:

The Cosmic Pig
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I have no experience with Cargo South, but I can tell you I love my trailer with screwless exterior. It's a 7x14' all aluminum (even the frame) v-nose snowmobile trailer I bought in 2006. I use it year round as a sled and cargo hauler, work trailer, etc. and it looks as good as new. The smooth exterior looks great, no rusty or loose screws to deal with, easy to wash and wax, very easy to put big stickers on. I'm on salty roads all winter with it and it just cleans up beautifully. I would not even consider one with screws. JMHO

There's a guy here who sells a "Livin' Lite" brand all aluminum trailer. They are really nice as well, and are very unique toy haulers with beds that fold out of the side of the trailer like pop-up campers. They do have screws in the exterior, though.
I was curious if a screwless exterior loosened up or someting after a time. It seems they would be quicker to build, thus less costly, so I couldn't figure out why any company would take the time and spend the money for labor to put all those screws in unless there was some down-side to screwless. I certainly like a screwless exterior much better!

Capn Kev
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Rivets are a lot better than screws, and are barely noticeable. Here's a pic of mine when it was being built so you can get a feel for how it looks: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89859

Slamdunkpro
02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Riveted? Are you sure? Looks pretty smooth to me? :confused:
The two Extremes I've wrapped have been overlapped panels with rivets. Screws and rivets have about the same profile as far as wrapping is concerned. You either heat the vinyl with a heat gun and work it down around the rivet or, if you do a lot of wraps there are spinners that attach to a drill and friction heats and works the vinyl down.

With screws you either treat them as rivets or remove them and replace them after you've applied the vinyl.

The Cosmic Pig
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Rivets are a lot better than screws, and are barely noticeable. Here's a pic of mine when it was being built so you can get a feel for how it looks: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89859

Very nice! I believe I followed that thread, as a a matter of fact! :thumb:

Butcher BBQ
02-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Lots here are talking about going screw-less so you can put stickers or a wrap on the trailer. One thing to keep in mind is the Interstate Commerce laws. A couple years ago when the cops started issuing tickets to truck and trailer units that didn't have D.O.T. numbers, log books, and health cards (for the driver). There has been several folks get tickets for this. If you're planning on staying in your home state your fine. Only applies if your cross state lines.

Nordy
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
So David... you're suggesting it may be better to be incognito... "We are just on a family camping trip." Vs "We are a professional BBQ team."

Sounds like some screwy laws to me... I can't see how they would confuse a blank trailer for a commercial vehicle, but they could if it was wrapped with a team's logos and sponsors....

Slamdunkpro
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Let me clarify this a little.The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires DOT numbers (and, in some cases Operating Authority) for companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers, intrastate hazardous materials in quantities requiring a safety permit or hauling cargo in interstate commerce. Period. Now here's where it gets a little tricky, 33 states require a DOT number for all commercial vehicles registered in those states. Those states are:Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

So, bottom line:

If your truck is registered as a commercial vehicle or owned by your business in one of the above states - you need a DOT number and all the fun associated with it regardless of whether you travel inter or intra state. You are not required to have a CDL, log book etc as long as your vehicle is under the restrictions set forth by the FMCSA (under 26k gross weight, no Hazmats, no passengers for hire, no cargo transportation for hire)
If your vehicle is registered in one of those states and registered personal, watch what you put on your vehicle or trailer. Avoid things like "Inc." "LLC" or direct references to a business. Otherwise you might run (illegitimately) afoul of revenue starved municipalities.
If your vehicle isn't registered in one of those 33 states and you don't haul interstate freight for hire or passengers for hire in your BBQ rig, then wrap away. You might include a line of "Private Vehicle, Not for Hire"

Butcher BBQ
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Let me clarify this a little.The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires DOT numbers (and, in some cases Operating Authority) for companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers, intrastate hazardous materials in quantities requiring a safety permit or hauling cargo in interstate commerce. Period. Now here's where it gets a little tricky, 33 states require a DOT number for all commercial vehicles registered in those states. Those states are:Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

So, bottom line:

If your truck is registered as a commercial vehicle or owned by your business in one of the above states - you need a DOT number and all the fun associated with it regardless of whether you travel inter or intra state. You are not required to have a CDL, log book etc as long as your vehicle is under the restrictions set forth by the FMCSA (under 26k gross weight, no Hazmats, no passengers for hire, no cargo transportation for hire)
If your vehicle is registered in one of those states and registered personal, watch what you put on your vehicle or trailer. Avoid things like "Inc." "LLC" or direct references to a business. Otherwise you might run (illegitimately) afoul of revenue starved municipalities.
If your vehicle isn't registered in one of those 33 states and you don't haul interstate freight for hire or passengers for hire in your BBQ rig, then wrap away. You might include a line of "Private Vehicle, Not for Hire"

I don not know the laws, all I know is many teams that have crossed state lines with lettering on their vehicle or trailer have been pulled over and given several tickets. They have been told if your truck and trailer weigh over or the ability to haul over 10k they are required to carry log books, get dot numbers, and do the weigh stations. This mean interstate commerce has accrued and they want their tax $$.

My brother has spoken with the ticket writers in Oklahoma and they have told him this very thing. They are more concerned with construction. They are trying to leave the horse, farm, and weekend recreational alone. But they are included.
This might be better off starting a new thread, even though it is partially on subject to why you want smooth sided trailers.

Slamdunkpro
02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I don not know the laws, all I know is many teams that have crossed state lines with lettering on their vehicle or trailer have been pulled over and given several tickets. They have been told if your truck and trailer weigh over or the ability to haul over 10k they are required to carry log books, get dot numbers, and do the weigh stations. This mean interstate commerce has accrued and they want their tax $$.

My brother has spoken with the ticket writers in Oklahoma and they have told him this very thing. They are more concerned with construction. They are trying to leave the horse, farm, and weekend recreational alone. But they are included.
This might be better off starting a new thread, even though it is partially on subject to why you want smooth sided trailers.

The ticket writers are either unknowingly or willfully violating the law. They have no jurisdiction whatsoever over private vehicles. FMCSA only regulates common carriers for hire. All 50 states have common and reciprocal standards based on FMCSA and NAFTA. If I'm legal in Virginia, I'm legal in Oklahoma. Sooner or later they'll stop some horse/boat/BBQ trailer owned by a lawyer who isn't in a hurry and will be willing to take this to court.
:focus:

Muzzlebrake
02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
In addition to what David said if you operate an interstate commercial vehicle over 10k, you're required to pass a DOT physical too.

Many municipalities also have separate laws for lettering on commercial vehicles without regard to weight.

Bottom line is check first. Telling a a ticket writer they are wrong here n NY is a good way to get either more tickets or some fancy new jewelry.

GQue
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I bought a trailer last year and spent a bunch of time researching them and getting testimonials from folks, as I had no knowledge of trailers - I came across cargo south and was stunned few folks in BBQ were familar with them - I found one guy in Iowa that had bought one and called him to talk he only had it for a few weeks but liked it - I have know had mine for about 5 months and have used it in 4-5 comps. I was worried about the old adage you get what you pay for but that is not the case with these trailers - I had a friend of mine look at it who works on trailers and he mentioned they are well built - feel free to PM me and I can give you my number if you want to ask me anything - It is my opinoin they are the best kept secret in the comp BBQ world.