PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Hobbi Toyhauler Questions...

Kentster911
02-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Looking at several Keystone Hobbi Toyhaulers as a comp trailer (23'). Anyone have any experience with this make/model? If anyone here has one or has used one please let me know what your opinion of these are.

Tired and too old for the 16' flatbed, ez up and gravity chairs :crazy:

Thanks!

Ron_L
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Musicmanryan (Big T'z Que Crew) has one and I'm pretty sure that Thillin bought one last season. If they don't chime in you may want to PM them.

jbrink01
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
TrueQ has one as well. I have a Work n Play 18'er and it works well if you ONLY want to do comps with one other person (and you'd better know them well):icon_blush:.

thillin
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I bought a Hobbi 200 last year. Putting a little $ into is making it a great little toy hauler. They are know to have issues with the front panel. I'm having mine replaced and it's gonna cost about $750. Other than that, replacing the toilet valve ($50) and a couple of little odds and ends. Walk every inch of the floor feeling for softspots. If you have any other questions, let me know. Comps are alot smoother with it. I'm working on a ramp extension since it is higher off the ground, the ramp angle is steeper and the Med Spicewine getts heavy at the end of a comp.

thillin
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Here is a link to their floorplans.

http://www.rvingplanet.com/brands/keystone-rv/hobbi/toy-hauler-travel-trailers/

thillin
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
This is the other brand I looked at.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvs/2832935419.html

BBQ_Mayor
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I had one that I sold to Big T'z. It worked great for me for years till I teamed back up with my brother. Then we made our own trailer. Anyway, it pulls nice and had the space we needed for comps. I would recommend having sizzer jacks put on when you get it. Thats what did. It's an awesome comp trailer.

thillin
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I set up my prep table in the back where the bed folds up. Also I'm still getting use to water management. 1st comp I filled the grey water tank too fast. So I now wait to wash mutiple things in a washtub to limit the amount of water used.

trueque
02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I bought a 2007 Hobbi 260 my first season, have had it almost two years now and really enjoy comps in it. I tow it with a 1/2 ton truck fully loaded with water, cookers in the rear garage area and coolers. I unload the smokers and a table, close up the backend and turn on the heat or A/C as needed. Everything else stays inside, so I can work uninterrupted regardless of weather. My son and teammate is comfortable and more helpful as a result. No wind, rain or dust to worry about. Being able to take a shower and sleep in a bed is the best way to compete!

DeanC
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I bought a 2007 Hobbi 260 my first season, have had it almost two years now and really enjoy comps in it. I tow it with a 1/2 ton truck fully loaded with water, cookers in the rear garage area and coolers. I unload the smokers and a table, close up the backend and turn on the heat or A/C as needed. Everything else stays inside, so I can work uninterrupted regardless of weather. My son and teammate is comfortable and more helpful as a result. No wind, rain or dust to worry about. Being able to take a shower and sleep in a bed is the best way to compete!

How is the ride with it fully loaded? Do you use an anti-sway hitch or anything else? I have been trying to decide between a smaller toy hauler (like the Hobbi or a Coachmen Blast) or cargo trailer that I can finish myself. I think my family would get more use out of a toy hauler. Thanks.

swamprb
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Anyone have any lines on Lightweight Toyhaulers?

I've got a 6cyl. 4Runner that pulls my 6x10 Interstate Enclosed comp trailer or my Coleman Tent trailer just fine and don't want to buy a new rig just to pull a toyhauler.

Not looking for a BBQ Battlewagon, just something a little more??

MAP
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
I want to start competing this year in a few comps. My partner will tow our Lang 84 and XL BGE with his truck and I was thinking we could use my camper but need to know if I will have trouble with the size of it. It is a 38 foot fifth wheel with 4 slides. what are your thoughts. and should I get a bigger quiter generator or do most comps have electric for RVs.

Thanks Mike

trueque
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
How is the ride with it fully loaded? Do you use an anti-sway hitch or anything else? I have been trying to decide between a smaller toy hauler (like the Hobbi or a Coachmen Blast) or cargo trailer that I can finish myself. I think my family would get more use out of a toy hauler. Thanks.

This is my first trailer and do not have anything to compare against, but my Tundra pulls it up the hills between St. Louis and Columbia just fine. There is a definite difference when empty (no water, waste or smokers), but I feel very comfortable traveling distance with this setup. I live in St. Louis and have been to Memphis, Tulsa, Kansas City and everywhere in-between. I do use anti-sway bar and weight distribution hitch as well. It all came with the trailer since I bought used. Happy travels!

musicmanryann
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Packed with everything we use at a contest--and people that know us know we don't pack light--we can and have pull our Hobbi with a Suburban half-ton. It does just fine, but you have to take it easy on big hills. We upgraded to a V-10 Super Duty for longer hauls and you don't even know its there, but a half-ton can handle it just fine.

Great camper for our needs. One can always use something bigger, but the compactness of the Hobbi works fine for us.

thillin
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Anyone have any lines on Lightweight Toyhaulers?

I've got a 6cyl. 4Runner that pulls my 6x10 Interstate Enclosed comp trailer or my Coleman Tent trailer just fine and don't want to buy a new rig just to pull a toyhauler.

Not looking for a BBQ Battlewagon, just something a little more??

Brian, google Blast toyhaulers. Might look into Thor as well. I think they are the ones that make the hybrid hauler with the tent pop out bed in the front. Not sure of you towing capacity though.

thillin
02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Any of you guys have trouble with your front exterior panel on you Hobbis? Looking to replace mine due to cracking. Most i've seen have this issue. Not sure if it is due to the Texas heat or not.

Kentster911
02-09-2012, 08:19 AM
What I gathered is that they did have problems with the front panel. One gentleman told me that the factory replaced his at no cost. He told me that is why his did not have the stripes and the hobbi logo on the front panel. I heard that some leaked at the seam (roof and front panel) and that some also warped. Of the 2 Ive looked at one has a new 1 piece seamless aluminium roof and the other has a new front panel........

thillin
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
What I gathered is that they did have problems with the front panel. One gentleman told me that the factory replaced his at no cost. He told me that is why his did not have the stripes and the hobbi logo on the front panel. I heard that some leaked at the seam (roof and front panel) and that some also warped. Of the 2 Ive looked at one has a new 1 piece seamless aluminium roof and the other has a new front panel........

Cool. I thought about replacing the front panel with aluminum, but worried about hail damage down the line.