PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Smoker

kennedyma
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Looking to tap the knowledge of the Brethren.

I've started to put together a business plan for a take-out BBQ place. Mostly just as a fun little side project, the plan not the actual restaurant. I would like to put together the startup costs and then the daily operation costs.

I've never worked in the restaurant business thus have no clue where to start with most of this stuff. Now that you have a brief backstory my questions:

What smoker would you get for a small take-out place? I've seen Southern Pride and Cook Shack, are these the only two? What about an all wood or charcoal fired pit? Is it worth the extra hassle for better flavor?

That's it for now. Thanks!!!!!!

Bbq Bubba
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Theres also Ole Hickory as far as a commercial pit. Wood pits include Oylers but the prices are a bit higher.

The OH and SP pits are gas fired and burn wood also for flavor.

Theres also FE Pellet poopers but we all know those dont make real BBQ. :)

kennedyma
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Any idea on a cost of an Oyler? They look like at very nice smoker!!! I'm sure way to big for my needs but I can shoot for the moon can't I?

Big Ace
02-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Any idea on a cost of an Oyler? They look like at very nice smoker!!! I'm sure way to big for my needs but I can shoot for the moon can't I?

Little red smokehouse starts at around $17k.

Pyle's BBQ
02-03-2012, 01:13 AM
How big do you want to go?

kennedyma
02-03-2012, 08:18 AM
How big do you want to go?

Currently that's a really good question. I'm still working the numbers up, but my idea is to build a take-out business with maybe seating for 30-40 dine-in customers.

BigBellyBBQ
02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
better ck with local building and health codes etc...as some towns require a smoke cleaner..I had simular size place and used southern pride 500, then we picked up a friedrick 400, then went to a sp 700..I would not go any smaller than th e500, need to be able to hold a hotel pan....oh, if you have not done this before...can u load the smokers up at 11 pm and back at it by 8 am?...but you can pick up a used 500 for 7 to 10 k...700 10 to 15 for a nice used unit..or by the way I have a 5 bay steam table and lots of stainless sinks, prep areas, sandwich prep unit(refrigerated) a few holding ovens...extra stuff that not using right now..if interested pm me..

wheels61
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
we started our bbq shack with an Ole Hickory CTO. it will handle anything you throw at it. we used it for a year and moved up to an EL. They are great pits.